NCAA Tournament & COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now the question folks are asking... do you still play the Final 4 in a 80k capacity arena with no fans? Or move on over to Georgia Tech, the host, perhaps?
I wonder how much of the tournament's appeal to TV audiences will be lost without the excitement of huge crowds. CBS and their partners are probably also crying right now.

I bet most of these teams have not played in an empty gym since October (if then). Does it change the odds of some of the favorites winning?

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Would be fitting to host the games at McCamish then post season hit them with a lawsuit paid for by the money they pay us to host the tourney

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Most event contracts have a force majeure clause. I wonder if the NCAA and GTAA have that in the MBS rental contract???

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how much of the tournament's appeal to TV audiences will be lost without the excitement of huge crowds. CBS and their partners are probably also crying right now.

I bet most of these teams have not played in an empty gym since October (if then). Does it change the odds of some of the favorites winning?

Is CBS crying though? Now that just about everyone interested HAS to watch it on TV, does it not increase interest and viewership? I know if GT made it, and I couldn’t go, I’m damned sure watching it on TV. More eyes equals more ad dollars, right?

slugboy

Staff member
Almost surely going to happen. The GT administration has been scrambling all week to get IT resources in place to enable all faculty to move all of their course content online.

At Georgia Tech, you can assume every student has a laptop and/or computer. Once they’re off campus, you can’t assume they have sufficient internet—they could have been counting on their dorm room and/or campus wifi for internet access.
There are also students who need special accommodations, that might lose them in a “virtual campus”.
It probably works for 95-98% of the students. It’s the other 3-5 percent that the school has a legal need to adequately support that I wonder about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
At Georgia Tech, you can assume every student has a laptop and/or computer. Once they’re off campus, you can’t assume they have sufficient internet—they could have been counting on their dorm room and/or campus wifi for internet access.
There are also students who need special accommodations, that might lose them in a “virtual campus”.
It probably works for 95-98% of the students. It’s the other 3-5 percent that the school has a legal need to adequately support that I wonder about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What bugs me about this is labs. I teach a lab-based science class, and we are only about 60% through the lab sequence. There is no way we can put labs online, so what do we do? Excuse every student from further labs? We routinely fail students for missing the number of labs we would have to excuse this Spring. It’s just a mess, to be honest.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Now the question folks are asking... do you still play the Final 4 in a 80k capacity arena with no fans? Or move on over to Georgia Tech, the host, perhaps?

Heard on radio they might look for smaller venue. They mentioned GT & "State Farm"?

GT, if it comes to this, needs to absolutely
TELL THE NCAA TO **** OFF.

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM OUR FACILITIES. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

And anyone mouthing any dribble about it might help our appeal if we help them is an idiot.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
What bugs me about this is labs. I teach a lab-based science class, and we are only about 60% through the lab sequence. There is no way we can put labs online, so what do we do? Excuse every student from further labs? We routinely fail students for missing the number of labs we would have to excuse this Spring. It’s just a mess, to be honest.
What kind of science are you teaching? Most sciences with labs I've taken have some form of a virtual lab attached to the class for these occasions. I'm sure you know if yours does or does not. Hope it works out for you.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was also supposed to be in North Carolina tomorrow for the Southeastern Wildlife Conclave. It was going to be a great opportunity for me to hand out resumes and compete for my school. It's been cancelled after months of preparation. Upset is an understatement. I have to wait another calendar year to compete now.

Sorry to read this - that would have been great representation.

NEXT YEAR!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
WHAT money they pay us to host the tourney?

Outside operational expenses and insurance riders, we would just bend over and take it again.

We would most likely find a way to lose $ on the deal.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Big 10 and Big 12 have announced that starting tomorrow there will be no fans at their Conference Tournaments.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
NBA just suspended the season, if the reports are correct. And actor Tom Hanks confirms he and his wife have coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.