NCAA Tournament & COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

The Ivy League today canceled their conference tournament. The Governor of North Carolina declared a state of emergency in NC today. The SXSW festival, the largest music and technology event in the country, was canceled. This is getting everyone's attention.

I would be surprised if the ACC and the NCAA are not sitting with healthcare professionals and legal experts to consider their options for their upcoming tournaments. If the NCAAT is canceled, I am almost certain it would take the NIT down as well.

These two events are my favorite sporting events of the year. I will hate it if they get canceled, but I think it would be ironic if the GTAA decision to withdraw their appeal of the post season ban becomes a moot point.

I am totally fine with laughing in the NCAAs face about this. I’m also fine with stating we’re bowing out of the post season on an abundance of caution with regards to the coronavirus. :D

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Something is about to happen in Kentucky too. My profs and peers seem to think we are going 100% online after spring break, which starts in 3 days. Admin is worried people will contract Covid-19 during travels and we have a significant Chinese student body.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heard from a GT RA today that he is expecting GT to go to online only once Spring Break ends.

Also, if you did not see the news, Harvard has asked all students to be out of the dorms and off campus within 5 days. They plan to go online. (My thought here would be if I was a Harvard parent are they going to refund any of the room and board my child is incurring?)

slugboy

Staff member
Heard from a GT RA today that he is expecting GT to go to online only once Spring Break ends.

Also, if you did not see the news, Harvard has asked all students to be out of the dorms and off campus within 5 days. They plan to go online. (My thought here would be if I was a Harvard parent are they going to refund any of the room and board my child is incurring?)

If you have to ask that question, you can’t afford Harvard. ;)

(Obviously, that was meant as a joke, but there are students there on scholarships that can’t afford to move out and don’t have a place to go to)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
This did not give the governor any more leverage or power over the legislature, but it qualifies the state for federal money. Maybe I will hear more tonight, but so far the GOP legs has been supportive.

I do not want this to be a political post. I was simply stating a fact.
It also allows the state to more easily move money around to respond to the crisis. This is not motivated by politics. We have 7 people in Wake County (where the capitol is) already testing positive. They've almost certainly spread it to dozens if not hundreds by now. In a week or so, Raleigh will look like Seattle does now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My wife & I are canceling/forfeiting tickets to the NC Symphony this weekend. The anxiety around here is palpable. I understand the financial reasons for the NCAA to move ahead with the tournament, but this is getting much more serious.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I was also supposed to be in North Carolina tomorrow for the Southeastern Wildlife Conclave. It was going to be a great opportunity for me to hand out resumes and compete for my school. It's been cancelled after months of preparation. Upset is an understatement. I have to wait another calendar year to compete now.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
So if this was to happen, I’m assuming there just won’t be a champion this year? That sucks for the kids, but if they are canceling so many other public gatherings, I guess it’s understandable to cancel March Madness.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
IMHO there is close to zero chance they cancel the whole tourney. There is however, a real chance that they play games without fans in the building. SF Warriors have already said they are doing that tomorrow but other NBA teams will still have fans. My personal bet is that the NCAA will make decisions based on the specifics of each locale involved in the specific tourney games. So they may eliminate fans at one location and not another as the tourney moves forward.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Announcements today so far:

NCAA has announced that there will be no fans at games in Ohio.

it has also been announced today that the post-season CBI Tournament will not be held this year.

Also, the Ivy league has cancelled all spring athletics (games and practices)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Announcements today so far:

NCAA has announced that there will be no fans at games in Ohio.

it has also been announced today that the post-season CBI Tournament will not be held this year.

Also, the Ivy league has cancelled all spring athletics (games and practices)
Did the NCAA announce what they were doing about ticket refunds?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Almost surely going to happen. The GT administration has been scrambling all week to get IT resources in place to enable all faculty to move all of their course content online.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Now the question folks are asking... do you still play the Final 4 in a 80k capacity arena with no fans? Or move on over to Georgia Tech, the host, perhaps?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Now the question folks are asking... do you still play the Final 4 in a 80k capacity arena with no fans? Or move on over to Georgia Tech, the host, perhaps?

Are we really the host of the final four in the year we are ineligible for post season play?

Status
Not open for further replies.