NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't understand this take from people. Nothing, outside of a coaching change, will impact him.

- 2020 postseason ban: he'll still be in high school
- Probation: nothing punitive associated
- Fine and reduction in budget: no direct impact to him
- Reduction in schollys: he's getting one over 1/3 the guys on scholly rn anyway
- Recruiting restrictions: he just committed, what we can't talk to him for 2 months? Fine, see you wen bball season starts for an unofficial to one of our first home games

But the team will be hampered by the reduction in scholarships and visits. Not many people want to play on a team that is rebuilding but can’t use the tools needed to build the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Our Director of Compliance has a Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science from Norfolk State and a Master's Degree in Sports Studies from High Point.

The main compliance guy is actually the Assistant AD for Compliance. He has a Masters in Sports Administration from UNC and a BA in History from UVA.

He previously worked in compliance at Kansas and UNC! He should be an expert.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. This is just short of the death penalty. I am furious!
It might as well be the death penalty. We may as well not even ply this season. We don’t even get to ply in our conference tournament. How is it fair to student Athletes that weren’t even here at the time. I honestly don’t see how we recover from this in my lifetime. The pastner/bell thing I can sort of get, but not the DL part

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t say the sky is falling yet. We could still get some of the sanctions reversed on appeal. As much as it sucks, it will be one post season and it seems we have had one extra scholarship per year not being used. Not ideal, but still workable. On LaBarrie it seems like we were proactive in dealing with this. The Bell situation seems a little more grey, but is the least severe according to the NCAA.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Yeah might as well just shut down the 2020 recruiting forum.

what an fn disappointment pastner has been. i had such high hopes. seemed like bright young coach ready to blossom. we got nothing but bad decisions on his part.

and im surprised that jarrett jack hasnt gotten much if any flack. i loved him as a player but wtf was he thinking. i hope he is banned from the program. labrarie as well,.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No coach worth having would want this job over the probationary period, even if we had money. Any coaching change would be to hire another Gregory to babysit the program until Stansbury can raise money for a new coach and wait for the probation restrictions to expire. A Pointless move.

Pastner might not be the most savvy administrator but the hammer was dropped on the program because LaBarrie, a GT alumnus, lied to the NCAA and then admitted that he lied. That is as bonehead a move as one could make in the the face of an NCAA inquiry. Putting that on Pastner is a reach. LaBarrie and Jack are both GT alumni and the clumsy manner in which they handled the Cheetah recruiting perks was pathetic.
+1