NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest if you've got a person backed by a lawyer stating that they are transferring because of racism and are significantly mentally affected by it and clear documentation of such racism exists, there is no way anyone is going to deny his waiver. Even more importantly, none of us have any real knowledge of how much it actually affected him despite plenty of outward appearance of this being instrumental.

Tate Martell sounds like a different story altogether, but there's still a seriously incomplete public picture. The drive to want him denied is based on his observable character issues not necessarily the facts of his case, although he did establish in public record through his comments a clear motivation to transfer outside of waiver guidelines.

For Clayton, I think his case may fall outside of specific published criteria, but that taking into account his whole story would be right to approve him. If the NCAA was going to only follow guidelines strictly, they could and should have denied him forthwith given the distance issue. But if you look at his particular situation, there is no D1 school within the radius, and he's a significant NFL prospect that needs playing time and sufficient platform to help secure that future. If he was forced to go down a division, he'd get less of a look and less quality coaching to develop and also a lower quality education. If he stayed at Florida, he's not going to get the same opportunity given coaching changes beyond his control and further displaced from ailing family. He already burned his redshirt year, and lack of playing has been significantly related to injury. Basically he gets dealt every bad card in the deck, and approving the waiver can significantly positively affect his life for circumstances beyond his control.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
What a bummer, especially since all 3 have burned their redshirt seasons as well. So that's 4 guys who will sit this year. Ezzard would have gotten playing time considering how good he looked already. Clayton definitely would have been with the 1s or 2s.

Sylvain Yondjouen is likely to burn his redshirt season now, but that may have always been the case. The DE position is weak.

I'm hoping this isn't over yet (appeals filed) but I suppose that's the eternal optimist in me.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest if you've got a person backed by a lawyer stating that they are transferring because of racism and are significantly mentally affected by it and clear documentation of such racism exists, there is no way anyone is going to deny his waiver. Even more importantly, none of us have any real knowledge of how much it actually affected him despite plenty of outward appearance of this being instrumental.

Tate Martell sounds like a different story altogether, but there's still a seriously incomplete public picture. The drive to want him denied is based on his observable character issues not necessarily the facts of his case, although he did establish in public record through his comments a clear motivation to transfer outside of waiver guidelines.

For Clayton, I think his case may fall outside of specific published criteria, but that taking into account his whole story would be right to approve him. If the NCAA was going to only follow guidelines strictly, they could and should have denied him forthwith given the distance issue. But if you look at his particular situation, there is no D1 school within the radius, and he's a significant NFL prospect that needs playing time and sufficient platform to help secure that future. If he was forced to go down a division, he'd get less of a look and less quality coaching to develop and also a lower quality education. If he stayed at Florida, he's not going to get the same opportunity given coaching changes beyond his control and further displaced from ailing family. He already burned his redshirt year, and lack of playing has been significantly related to injury. Basically he gets dealt every bad card in the deck, and approving the waiver can significantly positively affect his life for circumstances beyond his control.

Very well put. Hey, you wanna represent him on his appeal?

Animal02

Banned

The NCAA needs to make adjustments or they will eventually end up in court. I like the concept of one penalty free transfer after the first year. After that only for coaching chance or sanctions

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If there was wrong done, uga righted it by kicking THAT player out. What the ncaa did can be viewed many ways. Payback? Or to repair the political damage. But it was uga who righted it to me. Once the bad egg was gone what is fields threat? Why is his sister still there? Its all bogus. But look i get it. I am just pointing out the sick hypocrisy today where life and death is paling in reaction comparison to tweets and words now. Its unreal. Now this in no way excuses racist remarks. Not my point. I am just saying that is bad but so is someone sick

I usually find you on point, but I gotta disagree here. Racism at uga isn't, by any means, one bad egg. Which is another reason it perplexes and frustrates me that so many recruits want to go there. Bottom line with Fields is that nobody is going to tell a young African American man that he doesn't have the right to be deeply affected by being called that name, whether he heard it himself or read about it later.

Totally agree regarding Clayton and the NCAA's general hypocrisy, though. They don't have double standards, they have infinite standards.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The NCAA is cutting off its own nose to spite its face. At some point, they will lose a landmark court case or legislatures in various states are going to step in. At which point, they will lose the whole thing, and have only themselves to blame.

Well that is one positive outcome at least.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I usually find you on point, but I gotta disagree here. Racism at uga isn't, by any means, one bad egg. Which is another reason it perplexes and frustrates me that so many recruits want to go there. Bottom line with Fields is that nobody is going to tell a young African American man that he doesn't have the right to be deeply affected by being called that name, whether he heard it himself or read about it later.

Totally agree regarding Clayton and the NCAA's general hypocrisy, though. They don't have double standards, they have infinite standards.

So racism is rampant at uga? How many other instances can you cite to corroborate your assertion?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You keep glossing over the lack of school options within that radius of his home. I get "by the book" but I believe the appeals panel can go by the spirit of the rule, rather than the letter.

No. I'm not glossing it over. The rule is the rule unless it is changed... Is it arbitrary? Yes. That's beyond the point. Work to change the rule.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
But, as someone posted earlier, no school lies within that 100 mile radius from his house. So what does the NCAA think his options are?

Quit football, drop a division or simply sit a year (which is a lot to ask for a guy who has barely played, already burned his redshirt and has only 2 years left to show something)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
@Augusta_Jacket , instead of replying to your post, I'm going to repost mine here. If you go back and look at your entire body of work on this thread, its full of 'but' 'but 'but'...anything to defend the NCAA and nothing to defend Tech (or anybody else). Oh and also, you're wrong. Pick 1 thing, like our kicker missing kicks against Tennessee - he was berated everywhere by our own students. It was sad. You're making up invalid excuses to defend the NCAA. Sad.

There is a wide gulf between derision for performance and harassment based on the color of your skin. I am not defending the NCAA. I have long lobbied for changes to this archaic rule. I am just pointing out, that based on historical examples from across MANY schools, this was easy to predict, and guess what, this outcome was predicted months ago. All I have done is tell you guys what the transfer rules are and why our transfers will not get waivers. I have not been wrong. Just because you don't like the news doesn't make the messenger wrong.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No. I'm not glossing it over. The rule is the rule unless it is changed... Is it arbitrary? Yes. That's beyond the point. Work to change the rule.

I would like to see the rule change. I am not sure it's even going to hold up to any legal scrutiny. In the meantime, I would like to see it interpreted with some common sense and leeway. They have the discretion to do that and have done it before. It's not just the rules that bother us. It is that the NCAA is selective in enforcing them or not enforcing them.

Of course, we are all assuming that the 100 mile rule is even the reason for the denial, which we don't know for a fact.

Deleted member 2897

There is a wide gulf between derision for performance and harassment based on the color of your skin. I am not defending the NCAA. I have long lobbied for changes to this archaic rule. I am just pointing out, that based on historical examples from across MANY schools, this was easy to predict, and guess what, this outcome was predicted months ago. All I have done is tell you guys what the transfer rules are and why our transfers will not get waivers. I have not been wrong. Just because you don't like the news doesn't make the messenger wrong.

Ah yes the rules are the rules and it is what it is. Then you have all kinds of folks like Martell who transfer who don't fit into those boxes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Since everyone is up in arms about this, I'm going to reiterate my position on playing time and transfers. IMO, the NCAA should give every student athlete 5 years of eligibility starting from the day they take their first college class, whether JC, FCS, DIV II or DIV III. During that 5 year window, they can play any amount of games in any sport offered by their university. All students get a one time transfer with NO penalty requiring them to sit a year. Grad students would get a second free transfer as long as the original school did not offer the degree option and/or would not accept them into the program. A one time 6th year option would be given for medical cases where 25% of their eligibility (over 5 years) was lost due to documented medical reasons.

This would fix so many problems, and it's dead simple.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Everyone should get one transfer on the house. Problem solved.

Seriously. I really don't know who wins with the current rule. From the team's perspective, it's rare that a key contributor transfers. It may be someone with the potential to be a key contributor in a couple years...but I get that scholarship back and the chance to find another guy who can be a key contributor in a couple years. And do I really want to force someone to stay on my team who doesn't want to be there?

"I want to break up with you."
"Sorry, if you break up with me it will be a year before your allowed to sleep with someone else."
:D

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
I still stand by my assertion that if Martell, Fields or any other high profile athlete transferred to GT that got a waiver this year, we'd be in full support of it. I love GT and our fanbase, but we can dabble in hypocrisy ourselves if it benefits us.

You seem to have an odd agenda because you're completely disregarding what everyone is saying. The primary point is that the NCAA hasn't shown any consistency in how they apply their rules (or how quickly). Yes, I think everyone would support Martell or Fields getting a waver to play at GT...just like we all supported Clayton, Ezzard, and Sims getting their waver. That's not hypocrisy.