NCAA Allows Players to Get Paid

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Lather, rinse, repeat!

If you don't want an education, then go to the NFL developmental league that they need to create. If you can't score over 800 or a 1000 on the SAT, then you should not be getting a division 1, BCS, whatever the heck they're calling it now, Student/athlete scholarship.
The NFL is not creating a minor league. They have colleges to run a minor league on their behalf for free. College football is lucrative enough to fund the majority of all athletic departments other sports with the exception of basketball.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The NFL is not creating a minor league. They have colleges to run a minor league on their behalf for free. College football is lucrative enough to fund the majority of all athletic departments other sports with the exception of basketball.
If I ran the NFL I wouldn't change the format either!
Just wish the NCAA could/would police the system and punish those that operate outside the rules evenly and harshly.
Let athletes that don't want to go to classes join a developmental league regardless of the sport. Kudos to the NBA (finally) and MLB for doing so.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I ran the NFL I wouldn't change the format either!
Just wish the NCAA could/would police the system and punish those that operate outside the rules evenly and harshly.
Let athletes that don't want to go to classes join a developmental league regardless of the sport. Kudos to the NBA (finally) and MLB for doing so.
Agreed! The NCAA uneven punishment drives me nuts too.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
And everyone assumes that a company in metro ATL is going to always assume a GT athlete is more marketable than a phenom from Clemson or Florida why?

I realize we are fortunate to have the skills of CGC (And the branding steps & philosophy he embraces) going into this. And it will be a great thing for many players.

But in a town like ATL- is a college stud going to garner promotion $ over a Falcons/Hawks/Braves stud? Or will a stud in Knoxville actually have a better chance at that $ in that type market?

The colleges & NCAA best think and organize this as never before.

And if we don't want to see dwag players on billboards next to our campus we best sign a lot more 5*.

And if we are this concerned with kids rights to make money - let them take their Buster Browns straight to the NFL out of high school. It works in MLB & the NBA. Let them have the best chance they can at the big bucks. Any takers I wonder?

Your thinking is stuck in the last century when it comes to marketing. Sure, TV and radio and cereal box markets exist. As do big relevant brands like under armor that might want endorsements. But for all of those there's a giant competition both among other athletes and among school brands and coaches.

What's the value of a quarterback endorsement to gator fans vs a coach and school endorsement?

No, the value is in direct authentic endorsements just like everything else these days. If our players endorsed a BBQ joint on twitter I'd probably give it a shot. If a UGA player tried to do that even dwags would ask what a guy in Athens knows about ATL BBQ.

That's how the world works now. Your followers are your value proposition.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Interesting quote from the article:

“Ackerman said finding a way to prevent boosters and "overzealous individuals" from using endorsements as a way to pay for athletic performance or recruiting enticements remains one of their chief concerns. NCAA members will have to figure out a way to use school compliance officers and NCAA staff to make sure that endorsement deals reflect a real market value for the services provided.”
Lol, good luck with that.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Your thinking is stuck in the last century when it comes to marketing. Sure, TV and radio and cereal box markets exist. As do big relevant brands like under armor that might want endorsements. But for all of those there's a giant competition both among other athletes and among school brands and coaches.

What's the value of a quarterback endorsement to gator fans vs a coach and school endorsement?

No, the value is in direct authentic endorsements just like everything else these days. If our players endorsed a BBQ joint on twitter I'd probably give it a shot. If a UGA player tried to do that even dwags would ask what a guy in Athens knows about ATL BBQ.

I see what you are saying, but this ignores the fact that people were willing to pay money, a lot of money, to the players to come to a school without any real individual benefit other he makes my school's team better before the prospective change. I mean a group of boosters for Alabama paid $200,000 to get Albert Means, a defensive tackle, to go to Alabama. In 1999. If they were willing to do that then, think what they will do when the shackles come off. The bag man is dead, long live the bag man.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Next up... The 2022 High School All-American team, gets new cars, houses and all shocking attended the University of Alabama.... This news sponsored by Gatorade, who also sponsors all the kids that just went to Bama.... Funny enough????
If you're going to use Gatorade as a sponsor, you should probably stick to the University of Florida.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I see what you are saying, but this ignores the fact that people were willing to pay money, a lot of money, to the players to come to a school without any real individual benefit other he makes my school's team better before the prospective change. I mean a group of boosters for Alabama paid $200,000 to get Albert Means, a defensive tackle, to go to Alabama. In 1999. If they were willing to do that then, think what they will do when the shackles come off. The bag man is dead, long live the bag man.

Probably true, but at least we can compete now. And if you ride the pine that deal evaporates.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
And how is it that because a player gets a promotion deal that they will no longer get money under the table as well?

Why does that magically stop?
Would you pay someone who’s signed with a Adidas Contract if you were a Nike school? What I think will happen is Once players sign real deals and real contracts are involved once they commit to certain apparel companies they are gonna be forced to play for the certain brand. It’s not going to 100% get rid of illegal recruiting but imo it’s going to help clean it up.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm no tax Guru but wouldn't you need to be a resident of that state ? Is a college student considered a resident if he still goes back home in between semesters?

As a consultant I have dealt with the regularly over the last ten years. You pay the tax in the state you made the money in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Time will tell. If you are saying the owner of a BBQ joint won't ask themselves which player endorsement will cause more Baby Backs to walk out the door - I think you are mistaken. But IDK.

Another big question / concern to me is how long before the wack jobs in D.C. will start to apply something along the lines of Title IX to NIL.

I can honestly see someone passing a law that says, in some fashion, if a male athlete on a campus gets an endorsement deal - then there best be a female that gets one.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Time will tell. If you are saying the owner of a BBQ joint won't ask themselves which player endorsement will cause more Baby Backs to walk out the door - I think you are mistaken. But IDK.

Another big question / concern to me is how long before the wack jobs in D.C. will start to apply something along the lines of Title IX to NIL.

I can honestly see someone passing a law that says, in some fashion, if a male athlete on a campus gets an endorsement deal - then there best be a female that gets one.

Ugh. Title IX needs to go. And I say this as a girl dad.