NCAA Allows Players to Get Paid

herb

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping The people who think this is the sky is falling are clueless about how things works with paying players with today’s rules. If anything this helps Tech, but by all means continue with the doomsday scenarios and how this is the end of College Football.

I would be really interested to learn more. Just from looking at it, it would seem the team that has the most and the most committed boosters would have the ability to pay more than those with fewer and less committed boosters. Right? I mean the QB for Alabama is certainly higher profile and their boosters are insane, so shouldn't they be able to offer the best deal.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I would be really interested to learn more. Just from looking at it, it would seem the team that has the most and the most committed boosters would have the ability to pay more than those with fewer and less committed boosters. Right? I mean the QB for Alabama is certainly higher profile and their boosters are insane, so shouldn't they be able to offer the best deal.
That’s my worry

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
If you look at it minus boosters which I think a lot of you should, because as rich as these boosters are these kids are gonna make 5x more money signing apparel and shoe deals, and also think about how hard it’s going to be for players outside of the Top 50 players to get those big time deals. The competition for the deals at big school will be stiff meaning players will want more parity with who they play for that makes their own brand more recognizable. The little 10k dollar deals for doing a car dealership commercial is not going to put teams over the hump. This helps smaller schools with bigger recruits because now the playing field is level in terms of what the NCAA sees so paying players illegally isn’t going to make players go one way or the other anymore. One more thing, it’s not just one brand deal either, kids will pick a college in a location that they can continuously work with local businesses to increase revenue. College Football has been a staple in America for 150 seasons and counting they wouldn’t do something they thought would ruin it. Too much money is made, so it’s only fair and logical to allow players to get paid as well. Here’s my point in simplest terms...
in 2020:
if your a top 50 recruit and love everything about Tech and Atlanta but want money so an Alabama booster offers you 100,000 and a Dodge Charger so you go there.
in 2021 :
Your a top 50 recruit love Tech, love Atlanta, and get an Adidas apparel contract making the decision to come to Tech much easier. Rather then take money under the table elsewhere.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s interesting that the players can reference their school and sport, but no school logos or branding will be allowed. That means they won’t be wearing uniforms in the presentation of their likenesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Schools with big boosters are going to really take advantage of this. It will be interesting to see how it changes the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with a lot of what's being said here, but this train wasn't going to stop coming down the track. It was get aboard or get run over. The NCAA made the only rational choice.

Milwaukee

Banned
Now it’s mostly going to be above ground. I think this is a good thing. I hope it actually does away with the myth that blue chip athletes are all choosing to ride the pine at Clemson, Bama, Uga, Ohio state, and Oklahoma because of water slides and barbershops.

That part will remain the same in most part for a lot of blue bloods. The blue chippers riding the pine at those places didn’t realize they’d be riding the pine at those places.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I really have no idea what this we do to college sports. I have never booed a college player, coaches and officials yes. But if they get paid I would see no reason not to boo them if they play bad.
Well... that doesn’t really make any sense

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you look at it minus boosters which I think a lot of you should, because as rich as these boosters are these kids are gonna make 5x more money signing apparel and shoe deals, and also think about how hard it’s going to be for players outside of the Top 50 players to get those big time deals. The competition for the deals at big school will be stiff meaning players will want more parity with who they play for that makes their own brand more recognizable. The little 10k dollar deals for doing a car dealership commercial is not going to put teams over the hump. This helps smaller schools with bigger recruits because now the playing field is level in terms of what the NCAA sees so paying players illegally isn’t going to make players go one way or the other anymore. One more thing, it’s not just one brand deal either, kids will pick a college in a location that they can continuously work with local businesses to increase revenue. College Football has been a staple in America for 150 seasons and counting they wouldn’t do something they thought would ruin it. Too much money is made, so it’s only fair and logical to allow players to get paid as well. Here’s my point in simplest terms...
in 2020:
if your a top 50 recruit and love everything about Tech and Atlanta but want money so an Alabama booster offers you 100,000 and a Dodge Charger so you go there.
in 2021 :
Your a top 50 recruit love Tech, love Atlanta, and get an Adidas apparel contract making the decision to come to Tech much easier. Rather then take money under the table elsewhere.

I think this neither helps nor hurts Tech. Just because a player is now able to gain endorsements does not mean he will. These apparel companies aren't just going to start handing out deals to players unless they think they will make decent profit through monetary return on the investment. Unless the player is a blue chip guy at a skill position, then he isn't likely to be courted for a deal, which means that boosters and bag men will still be the most likely draws for a player looking to make money while playing in college. Since this is the current state of affairs, I see no real change outside of the elite players now being able to cash in on their fame.

As for the rest, I see the apparel companies offering low ball contracts to a few other players if they "lock in" with them now which are in reality just low money flyers on the chance that player hits it big.

Also, I am not sure how these contracts will work since the schools dictate apparel anyways. Any other commercial endorsements are likely to be local which would likely be driven by booster owned companies as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
or

“With the joint venture with J1S Sports, GT athletes have been able to monetize their social media platforms and expand their reach outside of football. With the increased visibility and brand strength GT athletes have avg. $10k in outside revenue. This includes YT views, Twitter/ IG influence, and TikTok.

This is a beautiful take as it would represent, for the first time in my long lifetime, GT getting ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch up to the leaders. A tremendous and game changing paradigm shift for us!!! We have always been a day late and a dollar short in most every thing we do.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Congratulations. You’re one of the 4 people out of touch in regards to GT football. lmao. We’re assuming ages 50+ but maybe we’re wrong.

Not surprised that the king of hot takes swings and misses. Easier to just lob insults than take a measured look at the one downside to this.

I am for players making money. I don't think it will ruin college football. I do fear the mindset that once they become paid then we don't have to respect them unless they "ball out"

Class used to mean something...

And you're wrong on the age as well. I am still in my early 40's.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have never booed a Tech player, but what is the definition of a pro player? Is it not someone who gets paid ?

I don't disagree with you there. SOME will be professional players, but likely not all of them. However, once they start getting paid and people start treating them as pros, then it is fair game for the ones making money to receive boos. I won't, but it will inevitably become more prevalent.

Now, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to make money off their names, images, and likenesses, they should, but everything has a downside, and this, IMO, is a downside.