NC State Game Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Normally I would agree about the monday morning QB but it sparked conversation immediately in chat i believe.
Not sure that BG's post-game presser was over by the time we were on these rants. Just took me a while to write them up (kinda) calmly.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My thoughts on the game are similar to others, but the Lacey shot was well defended. You have to be careful to avoid a shooting foul in that situation. He was more than 25 feet from the basket with two defenders right on him. Give Lacey credit for making the play.

That said, with five seconds to play and GT inbounding the ball up by two, you have to know State is going to foul quickly. They have to. If we get a dribble and second pass the game is over. So CBG has to make sure his first and second choice for shooting FTs is on the line. Was Q one of his preferred choices to be on the line? If so, maybe I should reconsider my respect for him. Q has only shot 14 FTs this entire season. He was cold after sitting out the entire second half. The in bound pass has to go to the guy you want shooting the FT. What was wrong with Tadric or MGH catching that inbound pass?

If Q had made the first FT and missed the second, then a back court foul is the proper play, but not in the situation we faced. I agree with CBG to not foul after the missed FTs.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes you can overstrategize situations. IMO MGH or Trevor needs to get the ball on the inbounds. Taking Q in who was cold for the potential to shoot high pressure foul shots is not the call. Stick with Mitchell and the line up who got you to that point in the game. I truly believe game flow is very important to outcomes. CBG continually pulls players in and out. Sometimes it is warranted, sometimes it is not. In this case, when he put Q in I was worried, but he gets paid to coach, not me.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think if you know NCST is gonna put the press in place, why not leave Mitchell in there to at the very least set a screen with that big body to get either Travis or MGH into some space? Q is a spot up shooter, I like his game in the role, but he just shouldnt have been on the floor in this situation especially after sitting the entire half.