NC State Game Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't know the kid, I'd have to guess confidence. I'd throw the kid $100 to try and buy a basket at this point.

Hey .. um, I'd like to buy a basket too. I mean, since you're lightin' cigs with hundies and all. :pompous::cigar:

Sorry, gotta laugh to keep from crying.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Personally at 1-8 I'm getting Lammers and Tadric 10mpg each the rest of the way. What's the worst that could happen?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Our only decent shooter didn't play much the entire game. But he's on the floor when u need FTS to seal the deal. I'M beyond confused by the subs. Why wasn't MGH receiving the inbounds pass? Its very easy to say these things after the fact... but before the fact... this is what everyone's thinking.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, we could still be a good ACC tournament team. Given what Red said, our team should be fresh.

To each his own, ive rarely been incorrect (unfortunately) in regards to the CBG era since its inception. By all means feel free to give the man your faith, i prefer to make him earn mine.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I blame CBG. He should not have put Q in the game at the end. He didn't play him the entire 2nd half and then puts him in. And why does he have MGH inbound the ball? He should be the one who gets the ball. I have season tickets and it is getting very frustrating to watch him coach.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well Q didn't have an excuse that his legs were tired and the shoots were short because of that.

MGH was most likely choose to get the ball in because of "experience".

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's count up the terrible end of game tactics...

• MGH should've been one of the players available to take the FTs.
  • Mitchell, who's been massively improved at the line and having a good game, shouldn't have been replaced by Q. Why not stick with what's working instead of your stats? Q is an 80% FT shooter... but 10-12 for the season is not enough of a sample size.
  • As mentioned by others, including Eddie Fogler who brought BG to GT in the 1st place, foul under 5sec to avoid the 3. Better to roll the dice on having to go to Double OT, than give them a chance to win.
Just kills me that these kids are getting saddled with few tastes of victory, when they're busting their asses and actually showing improvement.
  • MGH is on a hot streak and playing like what we've needed him to be this season.
  • The post players had good to great contributions across the board today.
  • Travis has shown continued progress and now put a couple of good performances together.
As Red's pointed out and others here agree with, there's good talent on this team. Hopefully the next regime will get better results out of it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From AJC - "Sparse crowd: Attendance was announced at 6,384. Aside from two games impacted by ice storms last season, it was the second lowest attendance for an ACC game in the Jackets’ three seasons at McCamish Pavilion, and only the fourth game under 7,000. The lowest ACC game attendance was the 5,587 for the Boston College game on Jan. 25."

Lots of empty seats... :(

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
From AJC - "Sparse crowd: Attendance was announced at 6,384. Aside from two games impacted by ice storms last season, it was the second lowest attendance for an ACC game in the Jackets’ three seasons at McCamish Pavilion, and only the fourth game under 7,000. The lowest ACC game attendance was the 5,587 for the Boston College game on Jan. 25."

When you put a crappy product out on the floor that happens. When u lose 7 straight conference games and finally break through... people wanna see you repeat the performance. We gave that game away... like so many others this year. Just being competitive and always losing has zero rewards. I'd rather lose by 50 than 1

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
I was there yesterday and can't remember so many opposing fans sitting together in such a large chunk of a section. Also what's up with the student support? We had NC State fans moving down to sit in the section behind the band. I realize there is plenty of empathy to go around but the team deserves better support from the student body.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's actually better to lose by 1 than 50 from a coaching search perspective (tougher on fans though).
If you look at the setup for next year MBob can sell something like this (beyond the normal GT advantages).

You will have an experienced team that is basically one more made basket a game from being an NCAA team. Then you get 5 schollies to use to quickly remake the program in your image.
So you get a chance to get the fanbase on your side early and then the possibility of a quick rebuild.

RamblinRed

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We all want to win all the time. But to prefer losing by 50 to losing by 1.....doesn't compute. We have played severl good teams very close. Seems to support MBob's contention that there is improvement. Frustrating losses? Sure. But a helluva lot better than getting blown out of every game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Remember, those numbers typically represent tickets sold. No way was there 6000+ yesterday nor was McCamish more than half full vs. BC.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Let's count up the terrible end of game tactics...

• MGH should've been one of the players available to take the FTs.
  • Mitchell, who's been massively improved at the line and having a good game, shouldn't have been replaced by Q. Why not stick with what's working instead of your stats? Q is an 80% FT shooter... but 10-12 for the season is not enough of a sample size.
  • As mentioned by others, including Eddie Fogler who brought BG to GT in the 1st place, foul under 5sec to avoid the 3. Better to roll the dice on having to go to Double OT, than give them a chance to win.
I am as frustrated with this loss as anybody (and this coaching staff), but I think some of this is Monday morning quarterbacking. I agree 1 million % that MGH should have been one of the players available to take FTs, and that was a huge mistake. However, I think Q over Mitchell was the right call. I know he hadn't played much that game, but it is free throws. He missed, but coach should have been able to count on him for at least 1 of 2. I also don't think you foul. The kid made a tough contested shot. That stunk. But I think you win in that position 80+% of the time. I would take those odds over giving them two free throws and the likelihood of overtime.

I feel like Bolden has also been a surprisingly good free throw shooter for Tech down the stretch of games, but maybe not?