NAVY......

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The defensive alignment could not be drawn up better for the offense on this play. There's only 1 DL on the left side of the LOS (playside) and he is the optioned man. They basically have nobody to block on playside except the center, who is merely chipped, and the LB, who the playside tackle just walls off, not cut. The qb is so quick, he outruns two guys coming free on the backside. (JT is even quicker than this guy.) The playside DT takes the Bback, so it's a correct read on the pull and the rest is easy peasy lemon squeezy. (JT probably takes this one to the house.)

Also notice how quick the OL are off the snap and how the DL misalignment plays right into Navy's hands. Beautiful!!! Great call, correct read, quick off the snap, great execution, horrible defense.

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Washington had by far the weakest supporting cast and had one of, if not the most productive offenses in the CPJ era, 2011. I'd have a hard time calling him the worst of the bunch.

This is a very valid point. I will say, aside from the Vad Lee experiment, I've always felt pretty good about the QB position throughout CPJ's tenure, which is much more comfortable than some of the Gailey years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Washington is the worst of the bunch, but he was still a fairly consistent Option QB. He never had an 09 or 14 season where he had legit playmakers with him, so who knows. I'm sure if Washington had Bey-Bey(or Smelter) to sling it to and Dwyer (or Laskey/Days) to hand it off to, he'd probably have lead us to an OB like Nesbitt and Thomas did, too.

IMO, Tevin was probably the best passer in terms reading coverages, and anticipating throws. He just knew where to go with the ball. The VaTech game to start the season in 2012 was a great example of how good he was reading the defense and the putting the ball in the only spot his receivers could get it. Tevin's downfall was that he had a HS freshmen's arm strength. He would make a great read, but he just couldn't get the ball there and the defense would catch up (MTSU game the same year is an example of it)

As far as running the option, I'll argue with anyone that he was probably the best technician of CPJ's offense of all the QBs that have run it at GT.

Given Tevins athletic limitations, you have to be impressed at the numbers our offense put up while he was a starter.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Navy also has a ton of upperclassmen starting on offense. That will definitely get you playing faster. I look forward to the day of having junior and seniors across the board on the OL. Lee and Braun are getting some great experience and performing at a high level. Bryan has been as well. I think we got an uptick in our OL and DL recruiting. It is showing right now because more are playing and holding there ground.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO, Tevin was probably the best passer in terms reading coverages, and anticipating throws. He just knew where to go with the ball. The VaTech game to start the season in 2012 was a great example of how good he was reading the defense and the putting the ball in the only spot his receivers could get it. Tevin's downfall was that he had a HS freshmen's arm strength. He would make a great read, but he just couldn't get the ball there and the defense would catch up (MTSU game the same year is an example of it)

As far as running the option, I'll argue with anyone that he was probably the best technician of CPJ's offense of all the QBs that have run it at GT.

Given Tevins athletic limitations, you have to be impressed at the numbers our offense put up while he was a starter.
I have been saying for years that I would have chosen TW over JN. I'm sure some people's heads still explode when they hear that. The ultimate QB for CPJ's system would have been TW with JT's speed and arm. We would have been unstoppable. It is hard to find THE guy with all the traits. Maybe it would be the aforementioned along with JN's beastly toughness and physicality.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wrote about it here:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/paul-johnsons-job.10406/page-46

One of the things CPJ has had to contend with is "brain drain" of his coaching staff. CPJ probably had a "who's who" of flexbone coaches for a while. Once he moved on to GT, the tree kinda split. As GT began to have a lot of success, the more of the tree limbs were taken. To think, at one time CPJ, Coach Ken, Jeff Monken, Brian Bohanan, Ivin Jasper were in one place coaching the heck out of the flexbone. With the exception of Jasper, who will be a HC sooner than later, all those guys are having varying degrees of success running their own program.
I've always thought our decline began with the departure of Monken.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been saying for years that I would have chosen TW over JN. I'm sure some people's heads still explode when they hear that. The ultimate QB for CPJ's system would have been TW with JT's speed and arm. We would have been unstoppable. It is hard to find THE guy with all the traits. Maybe it would be the aforementioned along with JN's beastly toughness and physicality.

I agree that TW would have been better than JN if TW were a bigger and better athlete. But TW wasn't. I saw TW in street clothes and he didn't look like a D1 athlete. IIWII.

JN won games at the end which TW lost.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that using the midline so much makes the Navy O look faster. There's another thing here, however.

Worth is a different QB. With JT, you want him to extend the veer in the hope that he'll get a lane for a big gain. He's fast enough to do that. Worth, however, only runs the TO long enough to get the pitch key to commit. And they usually do since if they don't it's almost always 3 - 5 yards for Worth. But NB: Worth is slower then JT and as soon as he sees a commit, he pitches. That makes for longer pitches, but they take place a lot sooner. If the pitch key turns toward him, Worth reacts. The result is that a lot of the veer TO plays look more like a toss sweep then a TO. This doesn't make them any less effective, but it does mean that Worth - and his ABs - seldom gets that long TD like JT had against GSU. He isn't looking for that play and couldn't bring it off if he tried.

I've noticed that Jordan is just like that. When he's on the field and Coach says he can pitch the ball, he's just like Worth; if the pitch key even begins to commit, he pitches. I think that will make us look more like Navy next year. Again, that is no guarantee that we'll be more successful, given our schedule.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is a question, when CPJ was at Georgia Southern and Tracy Ham was at QB who's play would he remind you the most, TW.JN, JT , or none of them ?

alagold

Helluva Engineer

The Jackson guy at Louisville would be great if he can handle the ball,he is even quicker than JT

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Wake and FSU come to mind. TW lost to Miami in OT because he didn't do what JN did.

I'm sorry but Tevin Washington did not lose that game to Miami. The defense and special teams spotted Miami 19 points to start the game and then he lead the offense on a run of 36 unanswered points to be up by 17.

The defense then proceeded to cough up that lead in four drives where the shortest was one was 74 yards. They scored on three of those four and the only one they didn't was a missed a field goal after an 88 yard drive. The defense literally did not stop Miami a single time after we took that lead. Overall Miami had over 600 yards of offense, over 7 yards per play, and 36 points before OT. That is absolutely atrocious.

It's insane to me people blame him for that loss.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a question, when CPJ was at Georgia Southern and Tracy Ham was at QB who's play would he remind you the most, TW.JN, JT , or none of them ?
Haha. Good question. I would say Ham was like......I dunno.......seriously, I DON'T KNOW. I have seen a ton of highlights, but I couldn't have cared less about GSU when he was playing. Ham was short, but he could throw, and he was elusive as a runner, and had a certain level of toughness about him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to find THE guy with all the traits. Maybe it would be the aforementioned along with JN's beastly toughness and physicality.

I think it's more hard to find guys who WANT to come to GT with those qualities than there are guys out there. Usually we settle on guys with some or most of the qualities of the ideal flex option QB, but we can't seem to convince the guy with ALL of the qualities.

We recruited a kid last year, Victor Viramontes, who to me would have been PERFECT for our offense. Big kid who was quick, fast, TOUGH, great arm, and good passer.

Unfortunately, he chose to go to Cal and will probably never see time at QB there.