Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
On July 1st of this year a Name and Likeness bill will be going into effect in GA. This bill will be signed on thursday by Gov. Brian Kemp at uGA. This is huge for GT! With a place that has such a huge emphasis on branding and such large media and company connections, GT recruiting and GT players could benefit from this bill in Huge ways! What are yalls thoughts on this?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
On July 1st of this year a Name and Likeness bill will be going into effect in GA. This bill will be signed on thursday by Gov. Brian Kemp at uGA. This is huge for GT! With a place that has such a huge emphasis on branding and such large media and company connections, GT recruiting and GT players could benefit from this bill in Huge ways! What are yalls thoughts on this?
That's the way things are going and it's definitely better to be ahead of the game than trying to play catch up

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Continue to win three or four games in a season and all the branding in the world will not matter. IIWII

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Thoughts? The corruption is now complete. University Presidents are spineless cowards. Only an opinion, but it is mine. Not interested in college sports anymore.
What do you mean by corruption? I think this is great for the student athletes and the school. This expands our merchandising we can do and it allows players to get recognition and rewards for being a good and popular player. If you arent a good player, you dont get playing time and no one buys your merch. It's another incentive to perform and work hard.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
What do you mean by corruption? I think this is great for the student athletes and the school. This expands our merchandising we can do and it allows players to get recognition and rewards for being a good and popular player. If you arent a good player, you dont get playing time and no one buys your merch. It's another incentive to perform and work hard.
I would envision that early on, the sample size at GT would be small, such as Gibbs or Sims jerseys. Campus stores are not going to suddenly swell up with a bunch of new lableled merch. Probably more of a market for online ordering of made-to-order items.

Wonder how they will handle events such as pics & autographs at Fan Day? I would hope they remain free.

And then there is the use of players for TV promotions, such as commercials for upcoming games on ACC Network, where they show previous game footage.

I would envision that early on, the sample size at GT would be small, such as Gibbs or Sims jerseys. Campus stores are not going to suddenly swell up with a bunch of new lableled merch. Probably more of a market for online ordering of made-to-order items.

Wonder how they will handle events such as pics & autographs at Fan Day? I would hope they remain free.

And then there is the use of players for TV promotions, such as commercials for upcoming games on ACC Network, where they show previous game footage.
And with everybody able to change jersey numbers and multiple jerseys, who's jersey are you buying? Gibbs or Thomas? I bet they can't put names on Jerseys? I have lots of jerseys and the funny thing is I have several 21s. One time someone came up to me while I was wearing it and said Calvin Johnson. The time era of the Jersey was CPJ. I told him nope Dwyer.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And with everybody able to change jersey numbers and multiple jerseys, who's jersey are you buying? Gibbs or Thomas? I bet they can't put names on Jerseys? I have lots of jerseys and the funny thing is I have several 21s. One time someone came up to me while I was wearing it and said Calvin Johnson. The time era of the Jersey was CPJ. I told him nope Dwyer.

I really have never understood the angst over multiple people wearing the same jersey number. It's not a new thing. Considering there are 105-125 players on any given team and 100 numbers allowed, there were always going to be shared jersey numbers.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I really have never understood the angst over multiple people wearing the same jersey number. It's not a new thing. Considering there are 105-125 players on any given team and 100 numbers allowed, there were always going to be shared jersey numbers.
I'm holding out to buy the first "007" jersey. With NIL a thing, we should just go ahead and let them go up to 999 so that you know who gets the money for the jersey.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Thoughts? The corruption is now complete. University Presidents are spineless cowards. Only an opinion, but it is mine. Not interested in college sports anymore.
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe it take into account what is best for the players.

Players now have an avenue to profit off their name as would any other member of the student body.

Players were held to an entirely different standard, unfairly in my view.

The results might be more parity or the rich could get richer. That's not the point, though. It was never to even the playing field for teams, but to even the playing field for players.