Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Sims and Gibbs are going to be very marketable in ATL in the next few years. I think Gibbs will make the most on our team. Need to get a stud defender too.

slugboy

Staff member
What does the "Up To 75%" mean. Is it the discretion of the school? Will some schools be different than others?

Lets say as an individual, I have $5M per year to spend to buy 4 players for my school at $1M a pop. I keep $1M in reserve so I can re-purchase a few key players that the school needs to compete and get past the first year free transfer..

Could the school take $750K of the bonus and another school only takes 50%. So I would need to provide $2M per player to match the players take home pay?

This really needs to be cleared up for budgeting reasons.
The money is held in escrow for all the athletes until they graduate, and will be split evenly.
The university doesn’t have to implement the rule.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There are some elite guys who slip to the have nots every once in a while. Jahmyr Gibbs is a good example. Those guys probably won't be slipping anymore.

Is it more financially beneficial to be a good player at a factory but not stick out, or go to a slightly worse school and be the superstar? I could see some schools who have struggled lately but have big fanbases getting better recruits due to the financial potential. But its really to early to see how it actually plays out.

The money is held in escrow for all the athletes until they graduate, and will be split evenly.

I wonder if this rule would have to be implemented across the board for a school or if it could be applied differently to different players. IE. Could a school initially decide to give the player 100% of of his endorsement and then start taxing it at some point depending on his or her contribution to team output?

GT_EE78

Banned
i wonder how long it will take for boosters to figure out that making the NIL payments "under the table" could be advantageous?

So at what point does the government step in and tax this money. After all it is income. And do you also add the value of the scholarship and room and board and tax it as well. Or is it like a 401k and only taxed when it comes out of escrow. Going to be a lot of poor ex college football players owing taxes.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are some elite guys who slip to the have nots every once in a while. Jahmyr Gibbs is a good example. Those guys probably won't be slipping anymore.
This mindset that we are screwed is mind blowing. Uga, Bama, Ohio st, LSU, and Clemson already pretty much only offer and take four and five star recruits. Just take a look at 247 composite and rivals signings. No, we don’t have a colossal following or alumni base but we are located in the college football capital and a growing major city. We’ve been preparing for embracing this opportunity happening for awhile. Let’s see how things play out before doom and gloom because we ARE clearly screwed under the old system without NIL.

Last edited:
Another question. When they say likeness they are referring to jerseys for the most part. If EA sports goes back to making NCAA then maybe that as well. So for a jersey, Adidas gets a cut, the seller gets a cut, the school gets a cut and the NCAA gets a cut. What is left for the player? Will the jersey have their name on it...frankly I wouldn't buy one as I don't want to go around wearing some players name. Then if say Gibbs leaves in 2023 and there are Jersey for sale the following year with a number 1 on it and another player has that number, who gets the credit? And how many jerseys are bought by fans...I am rare but these things are $70.00 a pop.

GT_EE78

Banned
What does the "Up To 75%" mean. Is it the discretion of the school? Will some schools be different than others?

Lets say as an individual, I have $5M per year to spend to buy 4 players for my school at $1M a pop. I keep $1M in reserve so I can re-purchase a few key players that the school needs to compete and get past the first year free transfer..

Could the school take $750K of the bonus and another school only takes 50%. So I would need to provide $2M per player to match the players take home pay?

This really needs to be cleared up for budgeting reasons.
That's exactly what the yahoo article suggests.

How many schools will actually redistribute athletes' money?​

The provision in the bill is restrictive and gives schools the right to have far too much control over an athlete's money. But it's fair to wonder just how many schools across the state will decide to exercise their rights to pool players' money. A school like Georgia or Georgia Tech exercising its right to take a cut of endorsement money will immediately prove to be a disadvantage in recruiting. Schools in other states recruiting the same football and basketball players can simply tell an athlete that he or she will be able to keep all of their endorsement money. And that's a pretty persuasive argument.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Another question. When they say likeness they are referring to jerseys for the most part. If EA sports goes back to making NCAA then maybe that as well. So for a jersey, Adidas gets a cut, the seller gets a cut, the school gets a cut and the NCAA gets a cut. What is left for the player? Will the jersey have their name on it...frankly I wouldn't buy one as I don't want to go around wearing some players name. Then if say Gibbs leaves in 2023 and there are Jersey for sale the following year with a number 1 on it and another player has that number, who gets the credit? And how many jerseys are bought by fans...I am rare but these things are $70.00 a pop.

That cut would be negotiated by the player/agent IIUC...

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
No they weren't. Players could make money off their NIL before. They would just no longer be eligible to play. That holds true of the regular students as well, but it doesn't matter because they aren't going to play regardless.

It's a standard that is only relevant to football players specifically because of eligibility aspects that are irrelevant to students who don't play football. It's the same thing as when people were making the argument about transfers with the same point. SAs could transfer wherever they wanted before. The issue is with whether they could play the next year at the new place. That wasn't a different standard than normal students. It was a standard only applicable to athletes at all.

Anyways for the actual law it sounds okay in theory, but in reality we're likely to see bigger schools with bigger brands routinely have athletes who get bigger checks. Because a lot of the money will be made based not on the NIL of the athlete but based on the brand of the school the athlete chooses to go to. I'm not sure how it will change our relative standing but it at least seems to formalize some of the advantages that were already present. Whether it worsens it remains to be seen.
Not sure I buy those first two paragraphs... If the rule applies to everyone, but the punishment only affects athletes, I'd say it's a rule that applies only to athletes.

Either way, the biggest brand schools have continuously gotten the best recruits and I don't see this changing that. As much as I love the idea of all schools being on equal footing, it's just not going to happen. At least this way the players get fairly compensated for it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Lol 😂 fair. Let’s just see how it plays out. I see NIL helping us relative to Virginia tech, Clemson and a few other ACC competitors. There’s already a huge gap between us and UGA that wasn’t closing under the old system without a massive infusion of unexpected money.

Agreed. I think we might fare better than VT, BC, Cuse, Wake, etc., but Miami and FSU should do well with this as a recruiting tool. As I stated earlier, Clemson is the one that intrigues me the most. While they have been killing it recruiting, they don't have a fanbase large enough to support a long term war of financial attrition with the traditional blue chip factories. We could theoretically draw closer to them using this, but I don't think it would be close enough to make a huge dent...

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
What kind of system is Brian Kemp endorsing where 75% of someone’s income can be redistributed to someone else?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I buy those first two paragraphs... If the rule applies to everyone, but the punishment only affects athletes, I'd say it's a rule that applies only to athletes.

You said it was an entirely different standard. No. It wasn't. It was the same standard for every student to be eligible to play football. What would be a different standard is if ME students could be eligible while taking money for NIL while physics majors couldn't. But The fact that only athletes care about being eligible for the sport they play doesn't make the standard different. The "punishment" only affected athletes because it was a rule regarding eligibility.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I'm naive, but I wonder how much 'booster money' there really is that isn't already being captured by the schools' fundraising and the below-the-table money that was already happening? Even at the factories, is there an extra $10 million per year in donor/sponsor dollars that's been sitting on the sidelines? Or will this just cannibalize some of the pre-existing money and re-direct it straight to the players?

I don't think there is a bunch of big money out there that is not already committed, but this will bring some of the under the table money into the light. The Wal-Mart crowd will buy jerseys, but even that is redirecting $$ already being spent to the players. It's not "new" money.