Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For the players, this is a great thing. For football factories, this is going to aid mightily in recruiting. For second and third tier FBS schools, this will help land a few studs that might have otherwise chosen a factory. Overall, my opinion is that the rich will continue to get richer. Absent any meaningful reform designed to bring parity to the game, we will witness factories leverage large fanbases to ensure the best recruits have guaranteed shots to bank money through jersey sales. A booster need not pay a recruit to film a commercial, he could simply mass order jerseys and merchandise to ensure the player gets a "paycheck" off his NIL. Given that the factories have larger fanbases they can mobilize for sales, the math should drive any player concerned about making money to the schools most likely to get them paid. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I see Bama, tOSU, uga, Texas, ATM, and the other factories using this to further distance themselves from the rest of the field.

Clemson is the only outlier here. Their fanbase isn't nearly the same size as the others so they might actually lose some ground due to this.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Vote him out of office and let's get Paul Johnson voted in as GA Governor.
AJC Reporter: "Governor Johnson, what do you think about MLB pulling the All-Star game from Georgia to influence the laws within the state?"

Governor CPJ: "I think it’s kind of funny, actually. I don’t know how anyone even knows what that voting law is about. We haven’t had a single vote using it yet. You can color it any way you want. It doesn’t matter what you do in the legislature if people don't want to take the time to vote. If everyone understands what you’re trying to do then you can all be successful. I get a kick out of when people ask me if democracy will work on this level. Last time I looked we were one of the first thirteen states. We've been a major part of five or six wars for the US, and we fought the Spanish even before this was a country. So I don’t think it’s a question of fundamentally will it work. We’re going to legislate and run it just like any other state."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AJC Reporter: "Governor Johnson, what do you think about MLB pulling the All-Star game from Georgia to influence the laws within the state?"

Governor CPJ: "I think it’s kind of funny, actually. I don’t know how anyone even knows what that voting law is about. We haven’t had a single vote using it yet. You can color it any way you want. It doesn’t matter what you do in the legislature if people don't want to take the time to vote. If everyone understands what you’re trying to do then you can all be successful. I get a kick out of when people ask me if democracy will work on this level. Last time I looked we were one of the first thirteen states. We've been a major part of five or six wars for the US, and we fought the Spanish even before this was a country. So I don’t think it’s a question of fundamentally will it work. We’re going to execute and run it just like any other state."

Holysh... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

One of the funniest things I've read on this site in a while. Bravo!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Governor CPJ: "I think it’s kind of funny, actually. I don’t know how anyone even knows what that voting law is about. We haven’t had a single vote using it yet. You can color it any way you want. It doesn’t matter what you do in the legislature if people don't want to take the time to vote. If everyone understands what you’re trying to do then you can all be successful. I get a kick out of when people ask me if democracy will work on this level. Last time I looked we were one of the first thirteen states. We've been a major part of five or six wars for the US, and we fought the Spanish even before this was a country. So I don’t think it’s a question of fundamentally will it work. We’re going to legislate and run it just like any other state."

As I was reading this, I could hear CPJ saying it. Bravo sir!

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe I'm naive, but I wonder how much 'booster money' there really is that isn't already being captured by the schools' fundraising and the below-the-table money that was already happening? Even at the factories, is there an extra $10 million per year in donor/sponsor dollars that's been sitting on the sidelines? Or will this just cannibalize some of the pre-existing money and re-direct it straight to the players?

For the Trevor Lawrence's of the world, star players from recruiting to the draft this will be lucrative. But for every Trevor Lawrence, there's dozens of Jacob Easons. Plus the Justin Fields and Joe Burrows. Just imagine the AD having to answer to the big time booster that gave Johnny Fivestar a million dollar signing deal when coach doesn't start him and he transfers. Maybe instead of offering that transfer QB 150K under the table they're offering it as an endorsement deal.

I could see this being bad for the big schools. They'll wind up competing with their own players for those donor/sponsor dollars. They'll have star players distracted by all the things money brings. They'll have former 4*s even more mad about playing time because the guy ahead of them got a big $$ deal. (Or they get a bonus for every catch/sack/TD they record and the coach isn't calling their #.)

The NFL deals with that stuff. But they pay and employ their players. The colleges want to be hands-off of this but also let their players get paid. This could be a disaster.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As I was reading this, I could hear CPJ saying it. Bravo sir!
Thanks, it's a mash-up of CPJ quotes from 2008 when he took over the team, with a few different words for the different context :)

But, that is what went through my mind when someone said "Gov. CPJ". I smiled on the inside to imagine how much freaking fun the press conferences would be!

GT_EE78

Banned
so what process wil the NCAA follow in order to pretend to be relevant and still avoid punishing anyone who gets caught cheating?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Players were held to an entirely different standard, unfairly in my view.

No they weren't. Players could make money off their NIL before. They would just no longer be eligible to play. That holds true of the regular students as well, but it doesn't matter because they aren't going to play regardless.

It's a standard that is only relevant to football players specifically because of eligibility aspects that are irrelevant to students who don't play football. It's the same thing as when people were making the argument about transfers with the same point. SAs could transfer wherever they wanted before. The issue is with whether they could play the next year at the new place. That wasn't a different standard than normal students. It was a standard only applicable to athletes at all.

Anyways for the actual law it sounds okay in theory, but in reality we're likely to see bigger schools with bigger brands routinely have athletes who get bigger checks. Because a lot of the money will be made based not on the NIL of the athlete but based on the brand of the school the athlete chooses to go to. I'm not sure how it will change our relative standing but it at least seems to formalize some of the advantages that were already present. Whether it worsens it remains to be seen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
so what process wil the NCAA follow in order to pretend to be relevant and still avoid punishing anyone who gets caught cheating?
I was just wondering that. Jeremy Pruitt could have placed photos of recruits onthe McDonalds bags of vashhe handed out and paid them an NIL royalty .. and probymake it tax deductible too.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What does the "Up To 75%" mean. Is it the discretion of the school? Will some schools be different than others?

Lets say as an individual, I have $5M per year to spend to buy 4 players for my school at $1M a pop. I keep $1M in reserve so I can re-purchase a few key players that the school needs to compete and get past the first year free transfer..

Could the school take $750K of the bonus and another school only takes 50%. So I would need to provide $2M per player to match the players take home pay?

This really needs to be cleared up for budgeting reasons.