Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What kind of system is Brian Kemp endorsing where 75% of someone’s income can be redistributed to someone else?

Let me ask you. How many Walter Nolan jerseys do you think would sell right now?

Now. How many Walter Nolan Alabama Jerseys do you think would sell if he committed to Alabama.

My guess is the second number is significantly larger than the first.

Compare Cade Cunningham's brand to Jalen Green's. My guess is Cade's is significantly more valuable at the moment.

The reality is the NIL value of a lot of players is very significantly tied to the brand of the school. How much of it is due to the school and how much is due to the player I don't know. Probably depends widely on the player and the school. Which is probably why it is allowed, not required, up to such a high percent.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think there is a bunch of big money out there that is not already committed, but this will bring some of the under the table money into the light. The Wal-Mart crowd will buy jerseys, but even that is redirecting $$ already being spent to the players. It's not "new" money.
Agreed. I think we might also see some people join the fray by handing out payments that they otherwise would not have previously as a tax deductible business expense.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am looking forward to hearing some sports law folks comment on this new law. I believe a state school might have problems withholding earnings from a player. Even if it was for a noble purpose.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Another question. When they say likeness they are referring to jerseys for the most part. If EA sports goes back to making NCAA then maybe that as well. So for a jersey, Adidas gets a cut, the seller gets a cut, the school gets a cut and the NCAA gets a cut. What is left for the player? Will the jersey have their name on it...frankly I wouldn't buy one as I don't want to go around wearing some players name. Then if say Gibbs leaves in 2023 and there are Jersey for sale the following year with a number 1 on it and another player has that number, who gets the credit? And how many jerseys are bought by fans...I am rare but these things are $70.00 a pop.
Likeness is everything a player represents. Their face, Their Number, they can do Commercials, ad deals, they could even be paid to tweet or post that they like a product. They can sell shirts with just their name and number and no Tech logo, they can pretty much make money anyway they want off the field like a NFL player, but the NFL Game paychecks won’t be there for them.

Likeness is everything a player represents. Their face, Their Number, they can do Commercials, ad deals, they could even be paid to tweet or post that they like a product. They can sell shirts with just their name and number and no Tech logo, they can pretty much make money anyway they want off the field like a NFL player, but the NFL Game paychecks won’t be there for them.

But who owns the number? The player or the institution?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think this may be a ploy to increase the divide of football talent between the 2 major in state schools and permanently seal the fate future Clean Old Fashioned Hate's.

Sorry but no. More like they just saw the state of Florida pass a similar law and they don't want to fall behind. Doubt they gave much thought to GT

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What do you mean by corruption? I think this is great for the student athletes and the school. This expands our merchandising we can do and it allows players to get recognition and rewards for being a good and popular player. If you arent a good player, you dont get playing time and no one buys your merch. It's another incentive to perform and work hard.

You really expect to see the line men making $$$s from this? The long snapper??? What about the volley ball players?

Granted most of the UGA, Clemson, Alabama and the ilk will have 3rd string freshman football players getting $1000 appearance fees for the local car dealership or construction firm. But for most schools, that won't be the case. Guess it'll just make the "bag men" to be "legal" now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don't think there is a bunch of big money out there that is not already committed, but this will bring some of the under the table money into the light. The Wal-Mart crowd will buy jerseys, but even that is redirecting $$ already being spent to the players. It's not "new" money.
Now the company owners could write off the expense as advertising. Tax advantage to those private company folks supplying $$$

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am looking forward to hearing some sports law folks comment on this new law. I believe a state school might have problems withholding earnings from a player. Even if it was for a noble purpose.
Maybe some of the hold back could be used to " offset" the scholarship the the player received including room and board and to also offset the players supporting cast. A QB doesn't look so good or perform that well when getting sacked repeatedly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tech already on the 100% to the player train.

Kemp: Hey, UGA, I'm gonna make you guys look like the good guys to these SAs AND you get to keep the majority of their money!!!

UGA: Governor Kemp, that's why we're gonna get UGA fans to vote for you, always looking out for the mothership. Go dawgs!

Kemp: Go dawgs!

GA Tech: SAs, we're not gonna cheat you out of any of your money you'll be earning...it's 100% all yours.

Kemp: :cautious:

UGA: :mad:🤬

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
Locker room dynamics could get interesting. If your NIL has high market value and you don't share with the supporting cast.