My Wish for the Miami Game...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course, I want GT to blow UM out of the stadium...

Short of that, I obviously hope we win, but whether we win or not, I desperately hope we play a good game, from opening kick to final whistle...

We all have painful memories of losses over the last few years, but the thing that has been most difficult for me has been those games in which we just seem to disappear - those times when that "other Tech" team shows up and look more like they're just going through the motions... Can't tackle... Bad special teams... Stupid penalties...

I am very hopeful this year - and I agree with CPJ in his assessment that the team can play a whole lot better... Maybe it's leadership, or team chemistry, or - I don't know... I just hope that the GT team that takes the field against Miami has the fire lit up for all 60 minutes...

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I think sometimes the team is trying to play its hardest for a full 60 minutes, but against teams that simply have more size and strength across the board, it is hard to keep up the same intensity for the entire game, particularly on the OL and DL. A tired team will also make more mistakes. I believe this is why uga was able to come back and win last year. Do you really think the team was simply going through the motions in the second half? I honestly thought our boys were trying just as hard, but at a certain point, we couldn't hold back the surge any longer.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am (as usual) very concerned about how the Tech defense performs against Miami. But we really need an all around superb effort and clean play in all 3 phases on Saturday.

Most of the psychological factors should favor Tech again just as they did last year at home against VT (hype around a big game, night game, primetime, large crowd, white out, tons of recruits visiting, division opponent who we owe a lot of payback to, 4-0 start). But my soul has been so brutalized by seeing Tech teams have flat and error filled performances at home like against VT last year (against UVA in 2008) in these same kind of scenarios. Tech goes into some big home games under adverse conditions and perform great, like Clemson in 2011 or FSU and Miami in 2008.

This is a never resolved conundrum for being a Tech fan. I have my theories (18-22 year-old psychology to start, add in that at Tech players actually care about being a student-athlete and have to work hard at school, plus naturally limited depth of talent at an academic minded non-factory program) as to why the "toughness" and "focus" factor at Tech so often shows up on the field when the team is actually in an adverse situation, as an underdog, or "with backs against the wall."

Miami will really be determined to not suffer a second ACC loss, to get to 2 Coastal wins, to continue to dominate our defense and keep the win streak going. Our Jackets truly have to fight and claw and show toughness, resilience, focus, and grit Saturday to pull out a victory.

Given my experience as a fan over the years I actually think this win would be an even greater accomplishment than the win on the road against VT. So that also entails that I think this game is a greater challenge to win as well.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
i mentioned in another thread, and got a snarky, cliche response...but i'll say it again,

I am absolutely thrilled we're 4-0 with ugly wins because it's so clear how much better we can get it. Its a very good thing. When our offense puts it together in both halves, or our defense can put it together for two halves, we will be in a position to win every single game on our schedule. If both groups can put it together for the entire game then it'll be real fun to watch. I'm pumped.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My wish is for a night to remember ... solid fundamental win with a full BDS on a national stage for all to see.

This is an opportunity to gain respect for the team and the program ... big big big game !

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My wish....for the crowd to make big time noise. Lots of people are hoping the team plays fired up on a big stage. I hope we, as fans, hold ourselves to the same standards we wish to see from our players and coaches. Be proud and be LOUD!!! If you can't....stay your *** at home.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
My wish....for the crowd to make big time noise. Lots of people are hoping the team plays fired up on a big stage. I hope we, as fans, hold ourselves to the same standards we wish to see from our players and coaches. Be proud and be LOUD!!! If you can't....stay your *** at home.
We are always one of the loudest home crowds in the ACC and I base that on our having that reputation among conference opponents whose players frequently comment on this fact after games here.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My wish for Miami? I guess I just want us to play to our potential. If we do that, I think we will all be thrilled with the results. If Miami does the same, it will be a close win for the good guys. If they do and we don't, we lose. No shame in saying that. IMHO, we have the potential to be an elite offense and a serviceable defense. That means we win, most of the time. Every game is different. CFB is FUN!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I want to see us play our best game of the year. If we can play to our potential as Boomergump said it will be a fun game to watch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
i mentioned in another thread, and got a snarky, cliche response...but i'll say it again,

I am absolutely thrilled we're 4-0 with ugly wins because it's so clear how much better we can get it. Its a very good thing. When our offense puts it together in both halves, or our defense can put it together for two halves, we will be in a position to win every single game on our schedule. If both groups can put it together for the entire game then it'll be real fun to watch. I'm pumped.

While your avatar just makes me shake my head, I tend to agree with your final point in this post. The flip side of winning ugly is indeed the potential for beautiful domination. I'll add that our 2nd half defense vs VPI was actually pretty decent. Their only score was that freak fumble recovery +2. IIrc, they only gained about 4.3 yards/play in the 2nd half, like 3.7 if you take away that one play.

Unfortunately the flip side of the flip side is the potential of devastating collapse. VPI doesn't have a great offense, and they really moved pretty easily through the air against us in the first half. The GaSouth offense that we largely held in check for a half took us apart in the 2nd half. It's hard to find the truth of our D based on the games so far.

So, I guess, even though I tend to be optimsitic, I still enjoyed the first 6 games of 2011 more than the first 4 of this year. I'd really like a D which was as consistent as VPI's.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
While your avatar just makes me shake my head, I tend to agree with your final point in this post. The flip side of winning ugly is indeed the potential for beautiful domination. I'll add that our 2nd half defense vs VPI was actually pretty decent. Their only score was that freak fumble recovery +2. IIrc, they only gained about 4.3 yards/play in the 2nd half, like 3.7 if you take away that one play.

Unfortunately the flip side of the flip side is the potential of devastating collapse. VPI doesn't have a great offense, and they really moved pretty easily through the air against us in the first half. The GaSouth offense that we largely held in check for a half took us apart in the 2nd half. It's hard to find the truth of our D based on the games so far.

So, I guess, even though I tend to be optimsitic, I still enjoyed the first 6 games of 2011 more than the first 4 of this year. I'd really like a D which was as consistent as VPI's.

Why does my avatar leave you shaking your head?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope we wipe the floor with them on national TV, and it's so bad that they fire the entire coaching staff, throwing their program into a sad limbo that lasts all season and results in them missing a bowl game.
Firing a coach will throw a program into a tailspin? I thought that was the miracle elixir cure for every programs ills. (not directed at you GTMan)

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine asking you what point you are trying to make by having that avatar, and I just shake my head at every answer that I can conceive.

That's deep. Instead of shaking your head over and over, you could ask and I could tell you...then you'll shake your head just once and can move on with your life. Or I could not tell you and you could stop caring because, after all, it's an avatar on a message board and we're talking about football not which direction your head is going.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I want to beat them like a drum. I want 2008 to look like a mercy killing. I hate the supposed humans who cheer for those swamp-ridden, mosquito-bitten, canal-jumping excuses for football players even more then then the fans for the Dwags or - and this is going some - Puke. About the only people I hate more then the fans is the worthless collection of " student athletes" they put on the field every year. They make a mockery of the whole idea of post-secondary education by simply existing.

This year, I'll take a one point win, as usual. But if we get ahead I hope Coach suddenly turns into as bad a sport as I am pores it on these clowns on big time.

Not likely. He has a lot more class then I do.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I want to beat them like a drum. I want 2008 to look like a mercy killing. I hate the supposed humans who cheer for those swamp-ridden, mosquito-bitten, canal-jumping excuses for football players even more then then the fans for the Dwags or - and this is going some - Puke. About the only people I hate more then the fans is the worthless collection of " student athletes" they put on the field every year. They make a mockery of the whole idea of post-secondary education by simply existing.

This year, I'll take a one point win, as usual. But if we get ahead I hope Coach suddenly turns into as bad a sport as I am pores it on these clowns on big time.

Not likely. He has a lot more class then I do.

If he can paul will pour it on em this year. Mark my word. I have been around this program for 18 years. Paul Johnson feels like this team is what GOL felt like the 2000 team was. Totally unexpected

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
38 to 14 Tech win with 300+ rushing and over 200 passing. Solid defensive effort and never really stopped on offense. I hate Miami!