My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Dennis Scott???
1705000186396.png

Pudgy???

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
While it may be an unfortunate situation at the time and a shot to the pride, it does produce happy endings as well. Drew Pember would be the most recent example that I can think of.
I’m wondering if Tyler Nickel ends up experiencing the same thing. He showed me a lot last night.

JacketsSports

Georgia Tech Fan
Bingo. Frankly most teams we play have multiple guys who can break down average defenders. We simply have no one on the roster who are really good on ball defenders right now. George may become one in a couple of years. He needs to get stronger. His instincts are good and he has reasonable quickness, just not ready for that role right now. Sadly no one else can fill the role either.
I think Sacko is an above avg defender. He just needs to defend w/o fouling. He's athletic and has good instinct.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You have to look at his freshman year. We started together. Cremins told him if he was going to make it, he'd have to get in shape. Huge difference between freshman and sophomore years (at least that's the story I was told back in the day).

Potato Chips are your enemy
Great find. Here Coleman is as a junior in college and still looking pudgy to many fans. That's the difference.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Great find. Here Coleman is as a junior in college and still looking pudgy to many fans. That's the difference.
I agree. However, Coleman looks better this year than last. I just remembered Dennis's freshman year there being talk about him being overweight and out of shape. The article was different in the timing that I remember, but I was a freshman too.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If a kid isn’t developing or putting in the work, they’re likely to be encouraged to move on. Some call it being processed. That’s the nature of the game today (unfortunately).
Or alternatively, being paid for your work and not producing. In some ways, too bad playing is now work, but it was inevitable. Processed, fired, all the same thing nowadays.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After last night's **** show, seems like a good time to update this.

Out of eligibility:
Kyle Sturdivant
Tyzhaun Claude

Transfer Out:
Deebo Coleman (fresh start might be best)
Miles Kelly (Needs to go somewhere he can fire away or maybe goes pro overseas; defense has been weak, which is my biggest issue)

Processed:
Amaree Abram
Ebenezer Dowouna
Ibrahim Souare (talent upgrade spot?)

Too early to tell:
Lance Terry (Super Senior season at GT or keeping his eligibility to transfer?)
Ibrahima Sacko (still think it's too early to tell)

Staying:
Kowacie Reeves
Nait George
Baye Ndongo (Production has trailed off a bit, seems staying more likely)
Tafara Gapare (enough talent/ambition worth trying to develop)

Incoming:
Jaeden Mustaf
Darrion Sutton
Cole Kirouac

Net net - there are a lot of things I'll get wrong here, but I theorize we could have up to 4 more spots to fill via HS & transfer recruiting.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Out of eligibility:
Kyle Sturdivant
Tyzhaun Claude

Transfer Out:
Miles Kelly (Needs to go somewhere he can fire away and set himself up for an overseas stint; defense has been weak, which is my biggest issue)

Processed:
Amaree Abram
Ebenezer Dowouna

Too early to tell:

Staying:
Kowacie Reeves
Nait George

Incoming:
Jaeden Mustaf
Darrion Sutton
Cole Kirouac

Net net - there are a lot of things I'll get wrong here, but I theorize we could have up to 4 more spots to fill via HS & transfer recruiting.

That's my gut feeling overall. I think Sacko is more likely to stay than go.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Out of eligibility:
Kyle Sturdivant
Tyzhaun Claude

Transfer Out:
Miles Kelly (Needs to go somewhere he can fire away or maybe goes pro overseas; defense has been weak, which is my biggest issue)

Processed:
Amaree Abram
Ebenezer Dowouna

Too early to tell:

Staying:
Kowacie Reeves
Nait George

Incoming:
Jaeden Mustaf
Darrion Sutton
Cole Kirouac

I believe Terry stays. He will have a significant role if he does. Rumor has it Souare is doing well in practice. Lots of playing time available for a big. The rest seem logical.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Out of eligibility:
Kyle Sturdivant
Tyzhaun Claude

Transfer Out:

Processed:
Amaree Abram
Ebenezer Dowouna

Too early to tell:

Staying:
Kowacie Reeves
Nait George

Incoming:
Jaeden Mustaf
Darrion Sutton
Cole Kirouac

Coleman and Kelly came in together along Jalon Moore. I would not say Moore is thriving at Oklahoma, but is playing and occasionally starting. If those two depart the entire class will be gone early. At the time it was the best incoming class in quite a while.

I think Terry sticks around, but I wonder if what seems like his friendship with Kelly pulls him away.

George, Ndongo, and Gapare cannot legally receive NIL money, so there's no reason for them to transfer. I agree about these three plus Reeves.

Coaching changes could free up some 2024 recruits, but more likely we will be going for upper classmen in the portal. Of the unsigned 2024 guys, Daquan Davis seems like the most likely. I know Mustaf and Sutton are recruiting him hard. Our chances are probably still small.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coleman and Kelly came in together along Jalon Moore. I would not say Moore is thriving at Oklahoma, but is playing and occasionally starting. If those two depart the entire class will be gone early. At the time it was the best incoming class in quite a while.

I think Terry sticks around, but I wonder if what seems like his friendship with Kelly pulls him away.

George, Ndongo, and Gapare cannot legally receive NIL money, so there's no reason for them to transfer. I agree about these three plus Reeves.

Coaching changes could free up some 2024 recruits, but more likely we will be going for upper classmen in the portal. Of the unsigned 2024 guys, Daquan Davis seems like the most likely. I know Mustaf and Sutton are recruiting him hard. Our chances are probably still small.
What big are we looking at? Do you know?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My wife says Coleman is pudgy. Pudgy guys are rarely great athletes.
Glad you used the word "rarely" there. Pudge Rodriguez comes to mind... If I recall, I think he did okay.
Fernando Venezuela did too, hmmm maybe you can be pudgy and play baseball and get away with it.

One of the few basketball players that could do it was the round mound of rebound, Charles Barkley, as I catch up on my reading of this thread see he's been mentioned, bubble butt and all.

Then again, maybe they all just excelled in their sport, and not truly "athletic".