My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Glad you used the word rarely there. Pudge Rodriguez comes to mind... If I recall, I think he did okay.
Zion is a pretty large individual. Charles Barkley was heavier in college than now. Burns kid at NCST is a rather large guy. Zion and Burns actually have unexpectedly quick hands for their size.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Coleman and Kelly came in together along Jalon Moore. I would not say Moore is thriving at Oklahoma, but is playing and occasionally starting. If those two depart the entire class will be gone early. At the time it was the best incoming class in quite a while.

I think Terry sticks around, but I wonder if what seems like his friendship with Kelly pulls him away.

George, Ndongo, and Gapare cannot legally receive NIL money, so there's no reason for them to transfer. I agree about these three plus Reeves.

Coaching changes could free up some 2024 recruits, but more likely we will be going for upper classmen in the portal. Of the unsigned 2024 guys, Daquan Davis seems like the most likely. I know Mustaf and Sutton are recruiting him hard. Our chances are probably still small.
Perhaps not NIL money but players have been broke off for years before NIL and suspect it may still be going on at some places in addition to NIL.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow

Occasionally looking beyond wins & losses, the measure of student athletes also include how well they represent the school for which they play. Occasionally we read about missteps off the court/field, that result in disciplining bad behavior. We rarely read about their positive community activities.

Before I criticize these young people, I must remind myself that they are also human, with families who support & root for them, many of whom read every story and comment they can find. I try to use my words carefully whenever disappointed by a game’s result.

I admit being a bit partial to Deebo, having had the distinct honor & pleasure of sitting with his biggest fan, mom Asha Coleman, at the Penn State game. She spoke so highly of the other players and their parents as well as CDS, pointing out his two sons seated in front and who, apparently travel with the team. The video above is from this very proud mom’s FB page.

No idea whether Deebo will be back for his senior year. Not sure there are other opportunities that will reward him with more than a GT degree. But I certainly wish the best for every one on this team as CDS makes some difficult post season decisions to move this program forward & upward.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Occasionally looking beyond wins & losses, the measure of student athletes also include how well they represent the school for which they play. Occasionally we read about missteps off the court/field, that result in disciplining bad behavior. We rarely read about their positive community activities.

Before I criticize these young people, I must remind myself that they are also human, with families who support & root for them, many of whom read every story and comment they can find. I try to use my words carefully whenever disappointed by a game’s result.

I admit being a bit partial to Deebo, having had the distinct honor & pleasure of sitting with his biggest fan, mom Asha Coleman, at the Penn State game. She spoke so highly of the other players and their parents as well as CDS, pointing out his two sons seated in front and who, apparently travel with the team. The video above is from this very proud mom’s FB page.

No idea whether Deebo will be back for his senior year. Not sure there are other opportunities that will reward him with more than a GT degree. But I certainly wish the best for every one on this team as CDS makes some difficult post season decisions to move this program forward & upward.
Great post and I'm positive Deebo is a helluva young man.

The challenge is one of pragmatism.

The goal of everyone is to win and the payoff for everyone, now, is monetary. College hoops, to the dismay of many, is a production operation now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Great post and I'm positive Deebo is a helluva young man.

The challenge is one of pragmatism.

The goal of everyone is to win and the payoff for everyone, now, is monetary. College hoops, to the dismay of many, is a production operation now.
Produce or die.

In football, uga realized that being nice upstanding guys doesn’t get you a national championship nor does it open up wallets of donors.

That’s where we are. In major sports today.

As a Tech fan I am terminally schizophrenic. I want good contributors to the community, well rounded, decent student athletes, feel good stories and lots of money and lots of championships. My search for this unicorn will never end.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the next cut of who I think is moving on.

Out of eligibility - Kyle & Ty
Transferring out - Amaree, Deebo, Ebe

I think we'll have 1-3 more.

On track to have 5 spots open with 3 incoming. Currently recruiting 3 HS players with results TBD.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

On track to have 5 spots open with 3 incoming. Currently recruiting 3 HS players with results TBD.

What y'all gut feeling on Sacko?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If we get Davis and Pippen, I wonder if Terry stays.