MY Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A fitting message for your post number 222, GPD. (Tech vs. Cumberland)

PS: I love this team's effort. Tough breaks, tough outcome, but lots and lots of heart.

I have said this before, and I know it is an unpopular position but...I find it odd that effort in a sports event is applauded. The reason I say this is not to disparage any poster or athlete, but I simply cannot remember NOT trying to win in any competition I ever participated in. I assume everyone else does likewise. Applauding effort in sports is analogous (imo) to praising an engineer or member of your management team in a performance review for "having good attendance" or "good personal hygiene". Apparently I am in a minority, but effort is a given. And only noticeable in its absence.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I have said this before, and I know it is an unpopular position but...I find it odd that effort in a sports event is applauded. The reason I say this is not to disparage any poster or athlete, but I simply cannot remember NOT trying to win in any competition I ever participated in. I assume everyone else does likewise. Applauding effort in sports is analogous (imo) to praising an engineer or member of your management team in a performance review for "having good attendance" or "good personal hygiene". Apparently I am in a minority, but effort is a given. And only noticeable in its absence.
I think because there are many times effort is lost when in situations like this year. A team begins just going through the motions with no fire in their belly. Perhaps we're really applauding not giving up...

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe "effort" isn't the right word. Dunno. Let's just say that we saw a lot of "fire in their belly," as stated by B Lifsey, and that was not the first time this season by a long shot. Our young team has been playing their hearts out every play, giving themselves a shot at victory even after all the turnovers and miscues.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow

Understand your point 4shot but I don't have a problem giving "effort" praise in sports OR business if it it genuinely earned.
If you are talented and competing at a high level in sports or business, you are likely to experience lots of wins and a few disappointing "seasons"... In my business life it is not
unusual that I would provide encouragement to my team even if we didn't "win" that particular initiative. Most of us experience disappointment ocassionaly and are often
faster to recover for future victories when genuine effort is recognized.

My original comments are self serving because I love my team and want them to rebound and start winning again ASAP... Hate losing.

I was very encouraged by the effort and talent I saw from our guys today, particularly the young guys on defense, that effort warranted recognition and respect.

Cheers my friend

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Well, there's your problem.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Cam Newton is undefeated.
You missed the point. When scam Newton is struggling he alienates himself and tries to hide. I'd much rather see my qb trying to rally the troops than sulking like a big baby. It's just not professional and that's the kind of crap that infects your teammates

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Maybe it's because every athletic contest will have a victor and a vanquished. Losing a game does not lessen a person or team. I cheer for the effort because effort is worth cheering for. After all, it's better to attempt and fail than never attempt at all...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wish half our fan base had the heart that these kids played with week after week.

Crowd sucked today. Student section never got full. Lots of fair weather fans sold seats to mutts (no I'm not referring to North Stands)...and most of the ones that showed didn't bother making noise when the mutts had the ball. I'll bet my *** all those quiet and no show fans are the same ones that complain about recruiting....SMDH.