My first post: Crootin'

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I only watched a little of the signing telecast but when I watched it, VT was in last place in the ACC. Our main competition will be Miami for the coastal title I think.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Now, yes. In February, probably not. Check the last three years on them and you'll see what I mean.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
VT has some serious long-term recruiting questions they need to answer. They made a killing for 20 years by only (really) having to compete with Marlyand and Penn State for kids in DC/Baltimore and having no competition in Newport News. That's not happening anymore.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We have outperformed Miami in the coastal and held our own in head to head with serious talent disparities. I dont see them figuring it out soon. VT's recruiting and prestige is on the wane. We will leave Pitt and Duke in the dust and uva wont be able to quite hang with us, either.

We will be battling unc, IMO.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What if I told you its possible to hype GT without lying in the process? Look I'm happy about the recruiting class he pulled in, but he doesn't need to lie to sell that this is an awesome class. Obviously you don't feel he is lying or you don't care, and you are entitled to your opinion. But he sometimes comes across like the new girlfriend who's a little insecure and has to **** on the exes all the time to try and make herself seem so much better, and its not a good look.
He is pretty insecure. Thats the only thing that really bugs me about him. I don't really need to keep hearing about the biggest transition in sports history, or how tiny our players are or how great Temple is. He just pulled in a great recruiting class. Just talk about how excited you are about your new guys, you don't really need to convince me how much better they are than the old guys. Hopefully we have a good season this year and he can move on from this stuff.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I keep waiting for Collins to mature into the role of a head ball coach.He now has three years, just one in P5 conference. But he cannot resist the horn blowing role he assigned himself. I gather on Wednesday he told ESPN of the reruiting ranking something on the order of the "biggest rebuilding" in college history. That more than puzzles me because somewhere in there Marshall lost a complete football team and all but one coach as I remember. I get it he may not be a history major, but geez. I do question his claim of a 263 pound OL average, but I am both too lazy and too uninterested to figure it out. I wish next season would start now so that blather will end for a bit anyway.
You either didn't watch the interview or just didn't really pay attention. For starters, the ESPN guys brought up the big transition on their own. He also clearly said "one of" the biggest, not the biggest ever.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He is pretty insecure. Thats the only thing that really bugs me about him. I don't really need to keep hearing about the biggest transition in sports history, or how tiny our players are or how great Temple is. He just pulled in a great recruiting class. Just talk about how excited you are about your new guys, you don't really need to convince me how much better they are than the old guys. Hopefully we have a good season this year and he can move on from this stuff.

Is he insecure for saying that stuff or our fans insecure for taking offense to it? Little of both?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again -when he is talking , he is always messaging to recruits.

What he will say in 2 years, we are half way thru our transition. We have successfully become bigger, stronger faster and now have won on the field. NOW YOU TOP RECRUITS NEED TO COME SO WE CAN FINISH THE SECOND HALF OF TRANSITIONING TO GT BEING CONSIDERED ELITE.

Get the right perspective - we aren't aiming at being a ove average. The transition inludes getting to elite.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
He is coaching at a school that has high expectations but generally doesn’t provide the infrastructure required to meet them. The coach gets frustrated because he hears the criticism, then he gets defensive. O’Leary did it (MIT Monday through Friday and Alabama on Saturday), Johnson did it, and now Collins is doing it. It’s not new.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The transition inludes getting to elite.

This is something I think some posters don't acknowledge or understand or just don't like because it's "car salesman-y". It's not just switching offenses. It's improving recruiting, branding, culture, strength & conditioning, development, etc. and getting to where CGC thinks GT can be, which he's made clear is in the national conversation of college football.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And you come across as that bitter ex in your same scenario who is paranoid and defensive and kind of upset that the new pair is happy and moving on. It swings both ways. Just relax and move forward.
You have terrible reading comprehension, I'm happy we have Collins.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Is he insecure for saying that stuff or our fans insecure for taking offense to it? Little of both?

The irony escapes them. The only people who actually take the time to care about what the actual height and weights of the OL when Collins arrived are those so insecure and protective of his predecessor that they feel the need to say something. The rest of the college football world doesn't care if he is off by 1/2 and inch or 6 lbs.

Do those same people get upset when JT listed himself at 5'11" or when Qua lists himself at 174 lbs? From a percentage standpoint, those are probably further off than what Collins listed. Everyone fudges the numbers when they're listed.

Unless the same people complaining are going to complain equally as much when the programs come out every year, just stop. Find something else to complain about. I'm sure Trump or Pelosi said something stupid. Go whine about that and leave it out of here. We just brought in a great recruiting class following a terrible year record wise. Imagine what it's going to look like when we get this thing rolling.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Can you give a good reason for him saying it other than insecurity? What is the real purpose of comparing the weight of his new recruits to guys already on the roster?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you give a good reason for him saying it other than insecurity? What is the real purpose of comparing the weight of his new recruits to guys already on the roster?

Is this a serious question?

He’s showing the improvement that we are making in just one year. See @Ibeeballin post on the transition from when he got here to the end if offseason workouts. Throw the massive guys we’ve got on top of the improvement in the guys we currently have and it’s pretty awesome. It helps sell the program which is what he is doing.

Can you give a good reason why people like yourself are trying to hurt GT by questioning the validity of the numbers?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Is this a serious question?

He’s showing the improvement that we are making in just one year. See @Ibeeballin post on the transition from when he got here to the end if offseason workouts. Throw the massive guys we’ve got on top of the improvement in the guys we currently have and it’s pretty awesome. It helps sell the program which is what he is doing.

Can you give a good reason why people like yourself are trying to hurt GT by questioning the validity of the numbers?
He doesn't really have to show that improvement. Everyone understands that he is elevating recruiting to a new level, and he has shown good results so far. If you constantly feel that you have to prove that with very specific numbers about weight changes then its pretty obvious that you are insecure about something.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No I got it.

Step 1. Set goal as making playoff. DO NOT set winning coastal as a goal.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Beat Clemson and Georgie

Which is much better than

Step 1. Include realistic goal of winning Coastal in with stretch goals.
Step 2. Get as good or better players as the other Coastal teams and outdevelop and outwork the other Coastal teams
Step 3. Win the Coastal and play for the ACCC and a playoff berth. (edit:sorry, thats impossible in this scenario because we set the wrong goal)

I got it bro. DO NOT include a goal of winning the coastal.

No one was saying that. What they were saying was that winning the coastal as it currently stands isn't much of a goal. Unless/until VT & Miami fix their coaching, GT has a clear shot at winning the Coastal in the next few years.

Our goal should be to build a playoff caliber team. To do that we will have to:
1. Continue to recruit at or better than the current level we are at with CGC.
2. Continue to develop the players into a winning team through coaching, which leads to
3. Raise funds to pay quality assistants and Coordinators and keep them here,
4. Hold players and coaches accountable for improvement

Those are methods, you criticized a goal, hence my response.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
  • If you want to make the (current 4-team version of) CFP, we're talking about needing a 3-year average somewhere in the Top 15
    • If you want to win a natty once you get there, make that Top 8
I'm not sure that that's possible at GT, but it is fun to see someone try it.
Certainly technically it can be done with less. Baylor was in position. But basically you are correct.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
No one was saying that. What they were saying was that winning the coastal as it currently stands isn't much of a goal. Unless/until VT & Miami fix their coaching, GT has a clear shot at winning the Coastal in the next few years.

Our goal should be to build a playoff caliber team. To do that we will have to:
1. Continue to recruit at or better than the current level we are at with CGC.
2. Continue to develop the players into a winning team through coaching, which leads to
3. Raise funds to pay quality assistants and Coordinators and keep them here,
4. Hold players and coaches accountable for improvement

Those are methods, you criticized a goal, hence my response.
I criticized the criticism of a goal.

But you are certainly talking more sense now so we are good.