Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Imo, collins is a good transition coach
After year 1 this was my view of him. I want him to succeed, because if he does, we do. But he was the "first one through" the door in the change of national perception. We won alot with the 3O because, in part, we had a HoF coach, but mostly because nobody else in P5 ran that O. Nationally, we were the main 3O school and the service academies were the others. CGC had to come in and make a huge splash. Get GT noticed. Get kids, in GA especially, to realize GT 3O era was over. We needed bigger, faster players. The path hasn't been smooth, as there are plenty of examples, but the new guy had to come in and make noise to get us noticed. I hope he's the guy to get the wins, but after 3 years its trending no. I renewed my tix today. If he's fired, I'll renew them next year. My loyalty is to Tech, not a player or coach. We can win. We can get the 5star guys. We are getting closer to that day by day.
To those who say we can't win in the modern new era, my response is why can't we? Sure we have tough academics but even my fraternity had a quiz and test file. Im sure GTAA has a test file and good tutors. No billion dollar donar! But remember, alot of little bottles equal a 1 big bottle. If Clempson can do it..... Once we start dreaming big and stop having a defeatist attitude, our season tix will cost a hellva lot more than $400.(im sure most P5 schools require that much in donations just to buy season tix)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We can get the 5star guys. We are getting closer to that day by day.
We were getting closer to it, but this past mid-season it felt as if we started moving away. At least we held onto most of our prior commits. Maybe next year we can get back on track.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
We were getting closer to it, but this past mid-season it felt as if we started moving away. At least we held onto most of our prior commits. Maybe next year we can get back on track.
Key four star recruits flipped on us this cycle which really is disappointing (the linebackers we lost deflates my spirit)…Gibbs was the closest player to a 5 star and he is gone. It’s time for the HC to teach, coach, out scheme and win or be replaced …

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
After year 1 this was my view of him. I want him to succeed, because if he does, we do. But he was the "first one through" the door in the change of national perception. We won alot with the 3O because, in part, we had a HoF coach, but mostly because nobody else in P5 ran that O. Nationally, we were the main 3O school and the service academies were the others. CGC had to come in and make a huge splash. Get GT noticed. Get kids, in GA especially, to realize GT 3O era was over. We needed bigger, faster players. The path hasn't been smooth, as there are plenty of examples, but the new guy had to come in and make noise to get us noticed. I hope he's the guy to get the wins, but after 3 years its trending no. I renewed my tix today. If he's fired, I'll renew them next year. My loyalty is to Tech, not a player or coach. We can win. We can get the 5star guys. We are getting closer to that day by day.
To those who say we can't win in the modern new era, my response is why can't we? Sure we have tough academics but even my fraternity had a quiz and test file. Im sure GTAA has a test file and good tutors. No billion dollar donar! But remember, alot of little bottles equal a 1 big bottle. If Clempson can do it..... Once we start dreaming big and stop having a defeatist attitude, our season tix will cost a hellva lot more than $400.(im sure most P5 schools require that much in donations just to buy season tix)
We couldn't get 5 star guys before NIL. Im not sure how we are going to now when they command 7 figure payouts. NIL is going to be the driving force in upper 4 star and 5 star recruiting going forward. If we are trying to compete for those guys then we need to find a legitimate source of revenue for it. Right now, im not sure what we are doing with regards to NIL other than a random minor Tivo contract. One reason I think Collins (and maybe TStan) is potentially doomed is that he needs donors and fans to step up in this regard, but he has dug too deep of a hole to get the support he needs.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We got lucky in getting Ross. He was let go as part of the aftermath of the whole Len Bias situation at Maryland as I recall. Went to Buffalo to be on Marc Levy’s staff and then left there to come here. (This is all on memory.) So he was coming somewhere that had some recent success in a league he knew well so we totally lucked out. Do agree we should aim higher than Collins.
He left Maryland on his own. In interviews he said he realized it was going to be impossible to persuade mothers that Maryland could take care of their children after Bias’s death.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a group of crows, like a "pride" is a group of lions, and a "colony" is a group of ants.
Good to know. I thought it might be a specific number of killed crows; kinda like a brace (2) of partridges that a good hunter takes home for supper.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how things evolve in a discussion forum. I suspect that more "Fire Geoff Collins" comments will be logged after the first game. Personally, I think Geoff is toast and that Chip Long is going to acclimate to Tech in his Year 1 and succeed Geoff thereafter. But, we shall see. Until then, a good bourbon will be nice. Maybe after 12.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
A better title would be "CGC-Dead man walking" or "We really want to Fire Collins, but we can't because of the ridiculous contract"

Maybe I will start a new thread. "Suggestions on changing the title of this thread" :D