Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm following the inside scoop on why Bryan Harsin is being run out of Auburn. One theory is that in when he was hired one year ago (almost to the day), Auburn THOUGHT they needed a tough coach who could change the culture and toughen up the players. NOW, the theory is that the game has FUNDAMENTALLY changed due to NIL and what they need is new coach who can support players who are also cashing in their NIL fame.

Supposedly, Auburn coaching and Auburn NIL programs are in two totally different spaces and coaches don't have control over it. So, the thinking is ... let's pay the coach LESS and donate to the NIL program and manage both, but at a higher, strategic level.

I wonder if THIS is why Geoff was retained and Chip was brought in.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
please forgive my ignorance...what is a "murder of crows"?
It's a group of crows, like a "pride" is a group of lions, and a "colony" is a group of ants.
its a group of crows. like a parliament/congress of owls
Or.. A Bike of bees and a Shrewdness of apes

And the award for the best breakaway from the most deserving thread to have a breakaway goes to...
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
award show film GIF by quinnie.jpg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ah yes. Tony Elliot. The guy who had a #5 ranked OG, 3 different top 30 TE including #1 from the 2021 class, a #1 ranked RB, 2 top 15 WR who were both in the top 100 overall from their class, and a #1 overall QB and put up 14 points on that vaunted Georgia Tech defense who allowed 33.5 a game. The guy who finished 82nd in PPG with all that talent. The guy who finished 84th in OFEI with all that talent, behind Georgia Tech who finished 78th. The guy who failed to score more than 20 points in 6 of their 13 games this year with all that talent. A feat Georgia tech managed to accomplish only 4 times.

Yeah, Tony Elliot. Dude is for sure about to light the world on fire. No doubt. Folks around here wanted CDP gone for literally putting a better offense on the field than Elliot did with half as much talent. Now he’s some coaching god? Lol.
Elliott had one bad year as an OC, but he's a head coach now and that job requires a different set of attributes. I believe he will prove to be the coach we missed out on.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If all it takes for us to start winning is for you to eat a little crow then I am 100% supportive.
That would be all it takes. I'm not opposed to Collins per se. I admit that his behavior grates on me but so did Pepper's. What bothers me is that he doesn't win. Full Stop.

Of course, I'm not loading up the shotgun in anticipation …

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That would be all it takes. I'm not opposed to Collins per se. I admit that his behavior grates on me but so did Pepper's. What bothers me is that he doesn't win. Full Stop.

Of course, I'm not loading up the shotgun in anticipation …
Too bad we didnt can pepper and hire - bobby Bowden from west virginia.

He went to an upstart school w barely a stadium. - FSU

To be great u got to have money and look for and get great coach and then get more money and pay him to stay.

Imo, collins is a good transition coach - he has to show out this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Too bad we didnt can pepper and hire - bobby Bowden from west virginia.

He went to an upstart school w barely a stadium. - FSU

To be great u got to have money and look for and get great coach and then get more money and pay him to stay.

Imo, collins is a good transition coach - he has to show out this year.

I was debating on starting a new thread about this topic, but did you know when GT hired Bobby Ross he won the ACC three times, finished 2nd once (his first season). His last season (he spent 5 years there) at Maryland he finished 5th, at 0.500, then came to GT.

Think about that. Although the ACC wasn't as prominent in football at the time, GT hiring a coach that won a major conference 3 times would be unheard of today. On top of that, it's not like GT was a great destination for a coach after Curry bolted for 'Bama. Ross, a future Super Bowl HC, was somehow persuaded to come to GT...and he won a national championship here eventually.

Maybe GT needs aim higher when looking for coaches, and quit with budget hires like CGC, Brian Gregory, etc. Go for guys who have shown success like Bobby Ross and Paul Johnson. Going outside of the "GT box" is a good thing.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I was debating on starting a new thread about this topic, but did you know when GT hired Bobby Ross he won the ACC three times, finished 2nd once (his first season). His last season (he spent 5 years there) at Maryland he finished 5th, at 0.500, then came to GT.

Think about that. Although the ACC wasn't as prominent in football at the time, GT hiring a coach that won a major conference 3 times would be unheard of today. On top of that, it's not like GT was a great destination for a coach after Curry bolted for 'Bama. Ross, a future Super Bowl HC, was somehow persuaded to come to GT...and he won a national championship here eventually.

Maybe GT needs aim higher when looking for coaches, and quit with budget hires like CGC, Brian Gregory, etc. Go for guys who have shown success like Bobby Ross and Paul Johnson. Going outside of the "GT box" is a good thing.

We got lucky in getting Ross. He was let go as part of the aftermath of the whole Len Bias situation at Maryland as I recall. Went to Buffalo to be on Marc Levy’s staff and then left there to come here. (This is all on memory.) So he was coming somewhere that had some recent success in a league he knew well so we totally lucked out. Do agree we should aim higher than Collins.