Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No it's not. That is just on its face stupid. If many head coach contracts are for 5 years are they getting extensions after 2 years just for recruiting? No

We get it. You wanted Monken and you're upset you didn't get your way.
Yes it is, and yes they do. Very easy for other schools to point to the length of contract remaining and say "See even the Athletic director isn't willing to extend his contract. why go play for a coach you know will be gone before you graduate?"

Monken literally has nothing to do with it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We aren't changing coach this year. He will get next year, and if he has another 3-4 win season, I think he is out.
That seems reasonable but I would argue he has TWO more years after this one to right the ship and it could happen. Miami is not the same team it was a few weeks ago primarily due to the emergence of one player, the quarterback. It can turnaround just that fast so don't count Coach Collins out just yet. As for his coordinators...well, that might be a different story.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes it is, and yes they do. Very easy for other schools to point to the length of contract remaining and say "See even the Athletic director isn't willing to extend his contract. why go play for a coach you know will be gone before you graduate?"
They do extend for recruiting purposes. 4 years is not that breaking point which was what was stated

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Good chance TStan gets shown the door with GC.
When is the last time GT fired an AD? It's a serious question - I have no idea.

Not sure that I buy the "2 more years" theory. On this current trajectory, without significant improvement next year, the damage to the program in a 5th year would be disastrous(year 4 would be bad enough). When someone posted the GTAA BoT roster recently, I was struck by the fact that voting faculty outnumbered voting alumni and students. I don't know any of the people on that roster, but faculty often tend to not be enamored with football programs. IMO(the value of which will not get you a small Waffle House coffee), TStan and CGC have a very short time to turn things around if the football program is to survive at all. Maybe that's over-the-top doom 'n gloom, but as CFB gets more expensive and the gap between the Haves and Havenots widens, a program that doesn't pull it's weight might become an unnecessary extravagance.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think he could be out next year with only 3 or 4 wins. The reality is in year 4 all the players are his (except for very very few). At some point, accountability has to come along with being the head coach. The offense has shown signs of getting better and special teams are holding their own. But the defense has been poor from inception and no real confidence of an upswing based on the eye test. If he can't get more wins and significantly improve the defense (supposedly his expertise), I just don't see how you continue. Getting to 6 wins means going 4-4 in the ACC and 2 of 4 wins out of conference. Based on the current state of the ACC, I just think that is a baseline that has to be achieved (and improved upon occasionally).
4-4 in the ACC is an extremely reasonable standard to have to meet in year 4, but unless some big money people step up he will likely get 5 years unless he just loses the team and the wheels come completely off

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That seems reasonable but I would argue he has TWO more years after this one to right the ship and it could happen. Miami is not the same team it was a few weeks ago primarily due to the emergence of one player, the quarterback. It can turnaround just that fast so don't count Coach Collins out just yet. As for his coordinators...well, that might be a different story.
If things continue poorly the DC will be sacrificed this year and the OC next year

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
If things continue poorly the DC will be sacrificed this year and the OC next year
If Collins really was a great DC at Ms. State and Fla., I don't get why he doesn't takeover the Defensive Coordinator role like PJ did the Offensive Coordinator role. Getting more out of the defense makes more wins much more realistic. At the end, GT can't afford to spend big $ on coordinators and coaches. If you eliminate the need to replace the Defensive Coordinator, it would give you more money to address other potential coaching changes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If this decision is made by the boosters and not the AD then we are either FSU North or UTK South and will have no chance to find our way out of the wilderness. IMO.
I think this is how does works, sorta.

At some schools, the big donors completely rule the roost. I think this isn't the case in most programs. What the big donors can do is loosen constraints on ADs. If they get fed up enough, they'll be willing to provide the cash to make a change possible and they'll let the ADS know it. Then it is up to the AD to make the calculation: keep the coach(es) in question or move to get rid of them. If the AD actually thinks the ship isn't sinking, he can make the case and not take up the money. But, of course, if the ship sinks then his job is on the line too. I don't envy Tstan, iow.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If Collins really was a great DC at Ms. State and Fla., I don't get why he doesn't takeover the Defensive Coordinator role like PJ did the Offensive Coordinator role. Getting more out of the defense makes more wins much more realistic. At the end, GT can't afford to spend big $ on coordinators and coaches. If you eliminate the need to replace the Defensive Coordinator, it would give you more money to address other potential coaching changes.
Seems a no-brainer to me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One of my former colleagues went to Austin College for his undergrad degree. One of his buds was the new QB who came in with him as a frosh. AC went undefeated his frosh year and won 9 the next. Then the guy decided he didn't want of play football anymore, he needed to concentrate on his studies. Oops. The football team won 2 games his junior year. Then he decided to play football again. AC went undefeated again.

It can happen. It could happen at Tech. It's sorta like waiting for a Deddrick Mills to show up, however; Tech took a chance on him as an RB and got another Adrian Peterson ( the GSU one). Sheer bum luck, iow.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is how does works, sorta.

At some schools, the big donors completely rule the roost. I think this isn't the case in most programs. What the big donors can do is loosen constraints on ADs. If they get fed up enough, they'll be willing to provide the cash to make a change possible and they'll let the ADS know it. Then it is up to the AD to make the calculation: keep the coach(es) in question or move to get rid of them. If the AD actually thinks the ship isn't sinking, he can make the case and not take up the money. But, of course, if the ship sinks then his job is on the line too. I don't envy Tstan, iow.

I think we are agreeing. In the scenario you describe, the AD has the final say. (he either takes the cash or he does not) What I am saying is there are some scenarios where the AD may not have that authority. FSU and UTK for example.

And, ultimately, most of us had or have careers where the people we hired or retained decided how well we did and/or determined our future with the companies we worked for. It is a lot easier (imo) rectifying a bad personnel decision when all you owe a guy (or gal) is unpaid vacation and maybe a severance package of 3 months to a year depending on other circumstances. And when you knew you could offer pay and benefits that, at worse, were equivalent to what your competition was offering in the marketplace. I, to be perfectly candid, never had to fire anyone with a 7 figure buyout. That would have kept me awake at night.

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we are agreeing. In the scenario you describe, the AD has the final say. (he either takes the cash or he does not) What I am saying is there are some scenarios where the AD may not have that authority. FSU and UTK for example.

And, ultimately, most of us had or have careers where the people we hired or retained decided how well we did and/or determined our future with the companies we worked for. It is a lot easier (imo) rectifying a bad personnel decision when all you owe a guy (or gal) is unpaid vacation and maybe a severance package of 3 months to a year depending on other circumstances. And when you knew you could offer pay and benefits that, at worse, were equivalent to what your competition was offering in the marketplace. I, to be perfectly candid, never had to fire anyone with a 7 figure buyout. That would have kept me awake at night.
TStan has done a decent job on the fundraising front. He could survive the firing of CGC.

I think there will be defensive staff changes to buy Collins another year. You've seen this move before and it seldom ends well.

Played 18 today. Had the $9 special at White Diamond Grill. Braves win World Series. God is good.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Played 18 today. Had the $9 special at White Diamond Grill. Braves win World Series. God is good.

Indeed He is my friend. To this day, White Diamond (imo) is still the greatest BBQ on the entire Earth!!! Second place goes to Abe's in Clarkesdale Ms.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree IF I was head coach and defense was my specialty and bad defense was costing my team wins and ruining my job and my reputation I would probably do exactly that. You lose a built-in scapegoat if it still goes south though.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree IF I was head coach and defense was my specialty and bad defense was costing my team wins and ruining my job and my reputation I would probably do exactly that. You lose a built-in scapegoat if it still goes south though.
We went through this with GOL. Great DC, then lousy D's when he became the HC for the most part. It baffled us then as it does now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Monken literally has nothing to do with it.
If I’ve learned anything over last few years it is that some recruiters will say anything, no matter how absurd, to negatively recruit against another team. “You can’t make the pros from that team. “High school offense.” “No coeds at that school.” “Crime infested unsafe school.” “Classes are too hard.”

So what you say makes perfect sense. If we don’t start winning soon the negative recruiters will be out in force saying Collins isn’t sticking around much longer. Knowing Tech’s luck they are probably already saying it.

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
That's why he needs to go....Hypothetically, ....If he's standing on the sideline (watching us lose like this), not taking over the DC play calling he needs to go...but if he is on the sideline stepping up with the defense calling plays..he needs to go!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If I’ve learned anything over last few years it is that some recruiters will say anything, no matter how absurd, to negatively recruit against another team. “You can’t make the pros from that team. “High school offense.” “No coeds at that school.” “Crime infested unsafe school.” “Classes are too hard.”

So what you say makes perfect sense. If we don’t start winning soon the negative recruiters will be out in force saying Collins isn’t sticking around much longer. Knowing Tech’s luck they are probably already saying it.
What sets me off is our own fanbase negative recruiting us. I’ve seen plenty of people on social media—and here on GTSwarm—repeating the same tired tropes as our detractors, playing sock-puppet to the likes of Cutcliffe.

Happened a bunch under PJ’s tenure, and undoubtedly made a tough recruiting hill even steeper. At the end of it all, sure—high school students were saying they didn’t want to play for PJ’s system…because some people spent a decade planting that seed in their mind. And by “some people” I mean our own fans.

I didn’t like seeing that then, and I don’t like seeing it now. There are too many fonts on this board who—despite having what may be decent concerns (that I tend to agree with) about Collins—are grousing in a way that tears down our program by feeding the negative recruiting paradigm.

Stop it, all of you! GTpdm has spoken.