Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Against who?

6-7 VT team, 7-6 Miami team, 2-9 UNC, and an OT win against an 8-5 UVA team (with impressive wins against Richmond, Ohio, Liberty and an ACC win against 2-9 UNC).

None of those teams were ranked. We don’t know where Clemson or UNC will finish the year, but both teams on paper are significantly better than any of the teams we played in that 4 game stretch.

The 2 decent teams we played (Miami and UVA), we had right at 300 yards of total offense and were actually out gained by 100 yards in the UVA game.

I will admit, watching Oliver run all over VT was a lot of fun that year.

I’m just saying the team had played 3 really good weeks of football. We sucked today. I missed the first half so maybe that’s why I’m not worked up as some of y’all.

OL seems to be the major problem. And play calling in the redzone. That needs to be addressed but the former can’t just be fixed overnight.

We’ve tried to plug holes while the young guys mature with transfers but it’s not panning out as well as we’d hoped.
Would Collins win 4 in a row if he played Middle Tennessee every week?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
there are plenty of other coaches that could successfully recruit here. even assuming they couldn't, Cincinatti's composite recruiting rankings right now is 53rd. Good coaches are capable of putting good teams on the field. As for CGC, it's way too early.
We better all hope CGC has success at Tech because the alternative is a long dark winter. But Cincinnati should remind us that the narrative that the former coach could not recruit is overblown. If you are getting “your guys” and winning then your recruiting is fine. CGC so far has not recruited well, according to the metric of “get the guys you can win with.”

Now, let’s beat Duke and see if we can start a win streak. Then the “recruiting narrative” will take care of itself.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Two of those games were against opponents with winning records, all four ACC opponents, and it is the last winning streak we've had. You can feel good about the past three weeks (excluding today); I felt good about them too. What I object to is the implication that we've accomplished nothing since 2016, when in fact 2018 was a decent season.
I wasn’t trying to imply that. I was mostly trying to imply why I thought it was ridiculous to bump a fire the coach thread.

I was a die hard GT fan before I got to GT in 2003. I’ll continue to be so regardless of who the coach is.

We did some great things with CPJ, I’ve got no beef with him and am thankful for how he walked away.

I just get frustrated when people do childish things like bump a thread like this after a bad game instead of just posting their frustrations in the post game thread.

Same goes for the hire Geoff Collins thread after a good game.

We also haven’t been good for a while though and that’s true. We were better at the end of CPJ’s record than we have been at the beginning of Collin tenure, but we still weren’t good.

I’m hoping we can get good again soon. We have some real young talents at the skill positions and are starting to bring in some talent on the LOS. Sadly the LOS is where games are won and lost and we struggle the most there.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You're clearly upset. I keep saying there's plenty of season left to play. It's ok to be mad after this game though. That's all I'm saying right now.
You’re probably right. I let the actions of a childish person bother me more than it should.

I still think it’s dumb and childish to bump this thread and merely drop an lol instead of expressing frustration. Hindsight I would’ve just ignored it and stayed in the post game thread.

I also agree it’s okay to be mad after this game. I’ve mentioned this earlier but if I wasn’t coaching my daughter’s softball game and actually watched the first half, I’d probably be a lot more mad.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Would Collins win 4 in a row if he played Middle Tennessee every week?
Right now, yes.

Listen, there’s no arguing CPJ was a much better game day coach than Collins. And there are many things on far days that frustrate me, but there have been improvements in this team from last year to this year and week to week (not so much this week though).

Our biggest issue is at the LOS.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don’t open threads I’m not interested in.
See I have a problem and can admit it. I’m a guy that doesn’t like unread messages. I’ve got all my notifications off so I don’t see that I have unread texts because I will go read them.

Same thing here.

That was where I went wrong though. Good point.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re probably right. I let the actions of a childish person bother me more than it should.

I still think it’s dumb and childish to bump this thread and merely drop an lol instead of expressing frustration. Hindsight I would’ve just ignored it and stayed in the post game thread.

I also agree it’s okay to be mad after this game. I’ve mentioned this earlier but if I wasn’t coaching my daughter’s softball game and actually watched the first half, I’d probably be a lot more mad.

Your constant replies are doing as much to bump this thread as anyone else...

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
The one thing that I was afraid of with Collins is that the offense would be unimaginative. That has come through in spades. The plays may be alright. How and when they are called has been horrible. Our OC is not a spring chicken and if he doesn’t have a feel for the game, he never will. All the red zone crap offense we’ve had the past three years is on him. I just don’t understand why CGC’s sticks with him. While the defense was utter trash today, I’m still most upset with the offense. I didn’t see us get dominated by a defense. I saw an OC make the worst possible calls at the time when we needed them most. At the beginning of the game we were rolling. 1 bad luck bounce of thr ball and he trashed his game plan and decided to drop back and throw. He got rattled or he had a script he refused to come off of. It’s like he doesn’t know our players strengths and weaknesses and he doesn’t understand the weaknesses of the opponents.

Who knows how good Keys is as a coach when his OC is this bad.

Now defense, it seems like our coaching staff saw the 3-3-5 thing worked. Then we went up against a much better offense than we’ve seen all year and they had no answers. Got to have some flexibility.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now defense, it seems like our coaching staff saw the 3-3-5 thing worked. Then we went up against a much better offense than we’ve seen all year and they had no answers. Got to have some flexibility.

Again, I still am perplexed. Yes the D did play well for 2 games just like the offense did against UNC and KSU. I am not supporting one coach over the other as simply trying to understand why one seems to get a pass that the other one doesn't.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Just so we are all clear - you have no problem with people being mad after that game or posting about it, you are just upset they chose to post about it in this thread instead of the postgame thread, and you think that somehow makes them childish?

Are you able to step back and read that as a 3rd party and realize how silly (some might even say...childish) that makes you sound? You are upset by the location of a post. A post about the performance of our coach, in a thread about the performance of our coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that I was afraid of with Collins is that the offense would be unimaginative. That has come through in spades. The plays may be alright. How and when they are called has been horrible. Our OC is not a spring chicken and if he doesn’t have a feel for the game, he never will. All the red zone crap offense we’ve had the past three years is on him. I just don’t understand why CGC’s sticks with him. While the defense was utter trash today, I’m still most upset with the offense. I didn’t see us get dominated by a defense. I saw an OC make the worst possible calls at the time when we needed them most. At the beginning of the game we were rolling. 1 bad luck bounce of thr ball and he trashed his game plan and decided to drop back and throw. He got rattled or he had a script he refused to come off of. It’s like he doesn’t know our players strengths and weaknesses and he doesn’t understand the weaknesses of the opponents.

Who knows how good Keys is as a coach when his OC is this bad.

That was the thing about Spurrier at Florida. I have never seen a coach with a flair for, as you eloquently put it, "feel for the game". He just knew when to spring the big play on an opponent, especially Georgia. Alas, our coaches seem not to grasp the whole ebb and flow of the game. Granted, when you commit two turnovers that lead to 14 points right off the bat, its pretty much all ebb after that.

GTBlaze

Banned
TStan has been a fantastic AD. Remember, there are more sports at GT than just football

Baseball and softball are competitive
Men’s and women’s basketball are very competitive
Women’s volleyball is very competitive

Everybody was bought in on CGC because of his sales pitch.. if TStan has to go because of that then all of us fans need to go right behind him

Remember when Russell athletics was our brand?? We now have ADIDAS

TStan IMO has been fantastic

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Stansbury has been excellent. Collins oversold his abilities and underestimated how much he would need to learn, adjust, hire/fire, adjust etc.

His change in tone already at press conferences is a sign that he knows he is in trouble.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury has been excellent. Collins oversold his abilities and underestimated how much he would need to learn, adjust, hire/fire, adjust etc.

His change in tone already at press conferences is a sign that he knows he is in trouble.
I think this is partially true. Collins may have oversold his ability with the salesman pitch, but I also think we're at an inflection point where we may simply have to admit , the program was at a low point in all regards when CPJ retired. Obviously there will be disagreements on this. But I honestly think many of us didn't see this transition / rebuild would take us into year 3 and now maybe 4.

I'm just hoping we can shake off yesterday and pull another UNC

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think this is partially true. Collins may have oversold his ability with the salesman pitch, but I also think we're at an inflection point where we may simply have to admit , the program was at a low point in all regards when CPJ retired. Obviously there will be disagreements on this. But I honestly think many of us didn't see this transition / rebuild would take us into year 3 and now maybe 4.

I remember when Bill Curry was coaching. In his third year, it seemed we would win one and lose one. Asked about it, Curry said, “I noticed that when we relax after a big win, we are flat and unprepared. We have to prepare all the time.”

Sounds like deja vu all over again.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

To say the program was at a low point when CPJ retired is to imply that there has been improvement since CGC got here. The only improvement I’ve seen is in recruiting but, overall, we are dangerously close to early 80s levels where it matters…wins and losses.