Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We better all hope CGC has success at Tech because the alternative is a long dark winter. But Cincinnati should remind us that the narrative that the former coach could not recruit is overblown. If you are getting “your guys” and winning then your recruiting is fine. CGC so far has not recruited well, according to the metric of “get the guys you can win with.”

Now, let’s beat Duke and see if we can start a win streak. Then the “recruiting narrative” will take care of itself.
also--take a look at "poor" wake forest-- er, 5-0 and rolling-- 8k students school in the middle of nowhere but with coaching that is outstanding

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
also--take a look at "poor" wake forest-- er, 5-0 and rolling-- 8k students school in the middle of nowhere but with coaching that is outstanding
The population in the Piedmont Triad is almost 2 million. While I agree that's not close to Atlanta's population, it doesn't seem like the the middle of nowhere. That said, poor little Wake Forest is riding high right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I loved to watch the CPJ offense when it was clicking. It is a thing of beauty. That beauty was a product of Paul Johnson's genius at reading the game and seeing where his offense could exploit the defense. When he had players with experience at their position it worked. 2014 is a great example and 2015 showed what losing a bunch of talented A-backs and one All-American lineman could do to upset that system. And he had his success with players with very few P5 offers.

Now, I really like Coach Collins and he is a much better recruiter than Johnson and the quality of our roster is improving every year. He is not a gameday genius, however, and with our young team that shortcoming is showing up with very inconsistent results.

Arguing on the Swarm to fire CGC has no effect whatsoever on the AD's decision. Neither does defending him in confrontational posts with other members. I encourage patience, as we actually have no alternative as fans.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Want most rational fans want is for the head coach to wake up and see this staff‘s shortcomings and address those. For some reason GT has hired back to back coaches who can’t see their own weaknesses and if they do some them they aren’t humble enough to address them. Collins has some solid serious strengths- likeable personality which leads to successful recruiting and marketing. I really like him as the face of the program. But he has to accept the simple fact that he is terrible regarding offense and the guy he hired to that job is also terrible. Hence, he needs to hire another guy and then leave him alone to run the offense. If he doesn’t we will have transfers out and he will no longer be the head coach. It’s in his own hands.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure I would point towards Wake Forest as the pinnacle of “outstanding” coaching for a non-powerhouse school. In year 8 of Clawson’s tenure they’ve had a losing record in the ACC 5 times, and haven’t finished better than .500 in the conference yet. Sure they’re undefeated and rolling now, but they’ve also had a lot of cards fall their way on the schedule. It’s also year eight (8). That’s a long time for a coach with a losing record to hang on at one place.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I loved to watch the CPJ offense when it was clicking. It is a thing of beauty. That beauty was a product of Paul Johnson's genius at reading the game and seeing where his offense could exploit the defense. When he had players with experience at their position it worked. 2014 is a great example and 2015 showed what losing a bunch of talented A-backs and one All-American lineman could do to upset that system. And he had his success with players with very few P5 offers.

Now, I really like Coach Collins and he is a much better recruiter than Johnson and the quality of our roster is improving every year. He is not a gameday genius, however, and with our young team that shortcoming is showing up with very inconsistent results.

Arguing on the Swarm to fire CGC has no effect whatsoever on the AD's decision. Neither does defending him in confrontational posts with other members. I encourage patience, as we actually have no alternative as fans.
Patience is a word Tech fans are forced to embrace on a regular basis.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I mean, there were quite a few of us on the board preaching this, but no one wants to hear bad news...
I think the problem for some fans is that it is hard to tell from on the field results whether the transition is actually working or not.

Take Saturday’s game. Look at it one way and, because football is a game of inches, you can argue that the score was worse than the performance, that we were one execution here, one blown play there, one beaten athlete on a play, and several play calls away from being competitive. You can claim that we are closer to being a complete team than the score indicated, and that progress is being made.

But that’s a hard sell until we can actually win back to back games. This deep into year 3 and it’s time to see a little more consistency or figure out what is going wrong.

I honestly thought Pittsburgh was the second hardest game on our schedule this year and that we would lose. I did not think they would totally dismantle us in every phase of the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here is the way I see our season so far:

NIU = a disaster against a really terrible team.

KSU = a nothing win against the weakest team on our schedule.

Clemson = a valiant effort against a greatly diminished Clemson team that has a great defense and little else.

UNC = a perfect game in which scheme, coaching, execution and all phases of the game fired on all cylinders against a team that may have overlooked us.

Pittsburgh = another game not unlike the kind of total beat downs we’ve had each of the last 3 years. Disappointing because many of us feel we should be more competitive by now and above this kind of humiliation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To say the program was at a low point when CPJ retired is to imply that there has been improvement since CGC got here. The only improvement I’ve seen is in recruiting but, overall, we are dangerously close to early 80s levels where it matters…wins and losses.
And the argument for the first two years was that because the “program was low and we were transitioning” things would look a lot worse than when CPJ left the program. Conversely, year 3 was the year we were supposed to get back to at least CPJ levels of winning. At least that is the way CGC made it sound.

I haven’t given up yet.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the problem for some fans is that it is hard to tell from on the field results whether the transition is actually working or not.

Take Saturday’s game. Look at it one way and, because football is a game of inches, you can argue that the score was worse than the performance, that we were one execution here, one blown play there, one beaten athlete on a play, and several play calls away from being competitive. You can claim that we are closer to being a complete team than the score indicated, and that progress is being made.

But that’s a hard sell until we can actually win back to back games. This deep into year 3 and it’s time to see a little more consistency or figure out what is going wrong.

I honestly thought Pittsburgh was the second hardest game on our schedule this year and that we would lose. I did not think they would totally dismantle us in every phase of the game.
Over uga, Clemson, nd, unc and Miami?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
BC was in position to score twice late in the game and self destructed first with back to back to back penalties and then taking too much time in the huddle and rushing the snap which was fumbled. the last one was around the ten or twelve yard line with under a minute to play. Clemson was fortunate to win that one.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Ironically Clemson’s best effort in ACC play this year has probably been against us, even though a lot of fans wanted us to give our coach a 10 year extension for losing close to them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Over uga, Clemson, nd, unc and Miami?
I think what Stinger meant was in terms of matchups with our defense against their offense. For sure, Notre Dame and Miami have more talent but when a fan of one team (Miami) compares the coach to the infamous gullible simpleton Lenny depicted in Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" then that is an equalizer right there.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

2015 was more a result of horrendous streak of injuries then anything else, but I agree with everything else you're saying.