Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
When we lose next week and I’m pretty sure we will Bc we won’t being two stop there running game do you think Collins would resign and if he did that would that mean we wouldn’t half to pay out the remainder of his contract?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
@jgtengineer @AlabamaBuzz @takethepoints @gtg936g

Won't quote all of your posts given the length. Appreciate all of your perspectives. While each was slightly different, I agree with one general premise. We need better coaching and discipline first and foremost, regardless of which direction we go on scheme.

I also sense that you aren't necessarily married to Monken/Bohannan, which helps quell my main point of confusion and concern on timing of the posts yesterday/today. Certainly we will have to punch above our weight to compete with the Clemsons, Bamas, etc.

@AlabamaBuzz - I think you get to the heart of the 'what do we do long-term' when you point out the top 5 are in a different stratosphere than they've ever been. "Physical superiority cancels all theories", said a wise CPJ, and I think we reached a point of no return by the end of the last regime and potentially even now, despite better recruiting (gameday/preparation challenges aside).

I'm not sure what the answer is. My belief is something will change the landscape of NCAAF in the next 5-10 years that will dictate our fate and spot in the pecking order, to an order of magnitude that will dwarf whatever GT HC is in place. Probably better for the expansion talk thread. But I appreciate your points of view better now thanks to your replies.
What we need:

That's my college coach to the flesh.

slugboy

Staff member
Closet thing we can do to a Mack Brown UNC type hire
Mack Brown is known for being the most charming guy anyone ever met and possibly the best recruiter—like an older and smoother Dabo Swinney, but maybe a bit more hands on. He hires great coordinators for the strategy and details.
Bill O’Brien is known for being a detail guy, for rubbing people the wrong way (CPJ is super affable in comparison), making some head scratching decisions, and learning from Friedgen. I’ve always heard him described as knowing offense, but never with Friedgen’s creativity.
I don’t think he’d be a Mack Brown.

Remember when football season used to be fun? It’s been some years but I remember

Yes, but I think I’m older than you ;)

ETA: 90 was really fun. Three in a row with O’Leary was fun. JoeHam was a stomach-churning time; we were so close but always had an inscrutable loss or two.

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My thoughts during the game

Poor clock management. 2 time outs and no points.

Where is our vaunted pass rush?

Sims "touch" isn't there.

I sipped sipped the Kool aid this summer at was snookered.

Why did Gibbs not get out of bounds and let us save the last timeout.

Why does the D look list too often.

Damn, we've 3 and outed them 6 of there last 7 possessions, we have got this.

Damn they made that look easy.

Double damn, he caught the and we're losing again;

We don't have enough time left.

Andrews has hit a 62 yarder in practice... Damn that was a low kick.

Duke thinks we are their win this year after this game...

It's going to be a rough year.

P.S. there were some good thoughts too, just not many.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Mack Brown is known for being the most charming guy anyone ever met and possibly the best recruiter—like an older and smoother Dabo Swinney, but maybe a bit more hands on. He hires great coordinators for the strategy and details.
Bill O’Brien is known for being a detail guy, for rubbing people the wrong way (CPJ is super affable in comparison), making some head scratching decisions, and learning from Friedgen. I’ve always heard him described as knowing offense, but never with Friedgen’s creativity.
I don’t think he’d be a Mack Brown.

Yes, but I think I’m older than you ;)
Slugboy, I just watched Bill O’Brien take the Houston Texans from playoff caliber to the pits of the world. He might be a great college HC, but my a-fib couldn’t stand finding out with him at GT.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
This is my last go at this form for awhile, I’m pissed. The effort sucked the coaching was worse the environment looked awful as someone said that was there.
I will never for the life of me understand what the hell Ole Paul had to do with any of this crap. For better or worse. It’s over with. Move on from that guy. Good grief. That’s what’s wrong with this program we get stuck on someone or something and can’t let it die. Yesterday and past 2 years are an embarrassment. Paul Johnson used to coach at Tech. There that’s it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
18-22 year olds are NOT much different maturity-wise today than they were 100 years ago. In many ways, they are even less mature and need even more tough love/discipline today than they did years ago.

I don't care who the head coach is, he must realize that he has to be the adult in the room - he must teach them the basics and hold them accountable. There has to be both positive and negative consequences along the development path. In this 2+ year experiment, I have seen things and heard things that make me believe that CGC is not that person. Key might be. Choice might be. Others might be, but CGC is not a "leader of young men" in my opinion. He is a cheerleader of young men. Your HC must be able to be "bad cop" and "good cop". The "bad cop" is not fun, and I don't think CGC has the ability or desire to be "bad cop" EVER.

At my church a few years ago, we had a youth pastor that was very much the same. He created a LOT of excitement, and we had attendance from teens we had not seen in previous years or since. But, unfortunately, it was accomplished with "fun" and entertainment, so it was very broad with lots and lots of excitement, but there was no "depth" or discipleship or accountability. I won't get into the details, but this pastor got into a lot of trouble later on at his next stop, because he was one of the "teens" more than the adult leader of those teens.
Collins almost comes off as the parent who wants to be their child’s friend instead of being their parent.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If CPJ had some of the new resources the current staff enjoys, he would have had much greater chance of success. Not to mention having Ted Roof forced on him by the same money guys who got us into this garbage.
So Paul never had the authority to fire Roof?

cpo5701

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow is about all I can say. I have been a Tech fan my entire life. Had family and friends play football at Tech

yesterday was the first tech game I have been to in several years because I do not live in Atlanta

all I can say is that I am in complete shock in every aspect of this football program.

the tailgating was absolutely boring and weak. We got down to the game around 4:30 to walk around and it literally felt like we were about to attend a funeral

wtf up is up with the right seating. We have season tickets and were basically sitting on top of each other. We are not far over weight people. Sitting in there like sardines and the stadium only had 30,000 in attendance

the pa announcer sounded like a high school jamboree

the bathrooms were flooded with sewage

the concessions didn’t even have straws or napkins? Wtf!

the sound system in the stadium was awful

I have seriously been to high school games with better atmosphere and production elements was just an overall horrible experience and a total waste of time and huge disappointment

Mitch was a beautiful and perfect night in Atlanta weather wise. I can’t imagine going to another game this season sitting in the sun baking like bacon

it was the most expensive uncomfortable football game I have ever been tothe people sitting behind us was annoyed when we were standing and yelling for our team
What a total waste of money on season tickets. I will not be attending another game this season (even if we were winning games)

the entire game day experience was just awful and to top it off, the product that was put on the field was an absolute joke
Have you ever been to Tennessee's Stadium. Most miserable game I have ever attended. Been years ago but you get about 1/2 of the normal space to sit. The other amenities were pretty bad too.

slugboy

Staff member
If CPJ had some of the new resources the current staff enjoys, he would have had much greater chance of success. Not to mention having Ted Roof forced on him by the same money guys who got us into this garbage.
What makes you think Roof was forced on CPJ?
We had an open DC spot, Roof was at Penn State, and he came back to his alma mater hoping for a warm reception. He is statistically one of our better DCs of the CPJ era, but I think he catches the most grief.
If there was a defensive trend under CPJ, it’s DCs using the existing assistants, and bringing few to no assistants with them.
CPJ expressed frustration with Roof, but he only had one DC that he seemed happy with, and that’s half a season of Charles Kelly (who is at Alabama as Asst DC right now).