Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Because you would see mass transfers under the new rules, which would start a whole new rebuild. CPJ's offense and the current staff are not the only 2 options on earth. If we have to move on, which isn't going to happen this year, we will stick with a modern scheme.
We are going to see transfers regardless. That should not be an issue that drives our stranger here.

of course it is going to come down to money.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
This deserves to be a thread, IMO. Realistic ways we can improve and salvage the season.

Things I would do:
1.) make Key the “key play manager”(you have to give it a cute name to sell it to Collins) he decides when we kick fgs or go for it, and when to call timeouts. Or more seriously, GC needs to put in the “effort” to manage the clock and field position in a way that if it doesn’t help us, at least doesn’t hurt us.
2.) Spend most of our prep time going forward to installing a way to counter tempo. It’s obvious we play teams that do it, and teams that don’t do it normally try to do it against us too. Notre Dame, who never really did it last year, did it to us. We are very vulnerable to it vs. against a huddled offense
3.) focus your offense on a few bread and butter plays from a few formations then add as game experience and cohesion add up. I do not care if you can run all you plays from all formations if those plays are not run well.
4.) open competition for K and KR/PR. Fumble and you are done. Until we make a FG, if the starter misses his first of the game, second up gets a shot. Our special teams is honestly the worst part of our program. It has cost us more than a couple of wins

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is tied into the Expansion Talk thread, but it's relevant to this thread as well. I keep seeing people talking about the inability to hire better coaches, and budget constraints. Guess what? We had the ability to correct that but we decided NOT to by turning down the B1G. We have lost an ADDITIONAL $15-20 million per YEAR since that decision in 2013. Do the math on that.

The hole we dug ourselves by paying out Gailey/Hewitt/Gregory would have been wiped out and we would have been ahead financially. Offensive and defensive coordinators that costs millions per year would not have been an issue. Do you want to put it into perspective? Last year, Alabama had the highest paid coaching staff at $7.5+ million for 2020. Saban is paid $9 million per year. In total, 'Bama is paying out $16.5 million per year for coaches salaries. GT's total coaching salaries come in at under $7 million total including CGC's salary. Even we just spent an extra $3 million a year on just high end DCs/OCs, that would have left plenty on the table for other parts of our Athletic Department.

If you want to hold onto "regional rivalries", "tradition", and not having to travel to Michigan or Ohio...well, we've lost $15-20 million a year for that "privilege". B1G gave us a lifeline for money issues, and we declined. At this point, I don't ever want to hear GT and money issues any longer...the problems we have with money we've done to ourselves (poor coaching extensions, leaving the SEC, turning down the B1G, bad business decisions, etc.). Honestly, I do not blame some fans at all for not giving more to our athletic department or renewing season tickets. GT has shown an extensive history of making poor decisions with money...why donate to someone who continues to spend poorly and throw good money after bad.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have been a big defender of CGC and have advocated for patience regarding win totals. Last night was rough, but it's too soon to get the pitchforks just yet.

That being said, I lay the blame for last nights game solely at CGCs feet. We showed continuing signs of being a poorly cached team. Clear confusion on the D and our inability to substitute player in a timely manner is all coaching. At one point, Swilling and the nickel were arguing over a coverage and the ball was snapped. Only the receiver, who Swilling was supposed to be covering, having a foot out of bounds when he caught the ball prevented another NIU TD. These are all defensive failures, and our defense is not undergoing the most historical transformation ever....

But the absolute worst thing I saw, and to me, fair or not, main failure which led to losing the game was when he abdicated his decision making power to the crowd. We had a chip shot FG in our pocket, and he sent us out to get it, then let the crowds booing change his mind. Those 3 points would have been the game. It is absolutely inexcusable for a P5 head coach to let a crowd determine his coaching strategy. A lot of people have defended him these last couple of years, and I have been one of them. I can in no way defend this.

That being said. It's only game 1. If we are 6-6 at the end of the season we can maybe laugh this off as growing pains. I'm somehow doubting we win more than 2 games this season. 3 at this point seems a minor miracle...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are in a ROUGH situation.We have coach with a long term contract that can recruit some but can't coach worth a d---(or HIRE real coaches).So many things were AGAIN wrong in that game versus the super #90 team in the country.SAD.
The way it looks someday there will be a elite 30 team group (with 80+k stadiums and players with 500k contracts,etc ) and then a next level .We will fall to the next level easily--with Wake, dook,vandy etc It just a matter of how soon.--- Unless some donor wants to pony up 100 mil or so..
Sad,Really sad.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That coupled with our almost non existant budget kept us from being irrelevant. We should have been FCS level then with the budget we had available. But looks like going away from that is quickly moving us to B*** L**** level or worse. I am not tied to that style of offense, but we damn sure need something to help level the playing field. CPJ saved us from a decade of being Wake forest and Vandy. But CGC is quickly destroying Tech Football with his complete and utter incompetence. I dont understand why people are so foolish about picking a scheme to help give Tech an advantage.
Dodd was the master of running schemes to level the playing field. I would be hard pressed to name a successful coach at Tech that didn’t run a scheme. Funny how years later football historians call them “innovations.”

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not too sure I agree on the X and O point. The NIU corners were lining up 10 yards off the line and back peddling at the snap and we kept trying to run inside into their blitz. Their defense seemed to be concerned with our edge speed so they tried to keep everything in front of the corners. Quick passes to the edge were there for easy yards and for some reason we only went there a couple times. Dave P doesn’t seem to be able to take what is available in many cases. Maybe he is scripting the series to go fast but I scratch my head at a lot of his calls based on how the defense lines up.
I agree with this. He sometimes, maybe all the time, seems rigid in his balance ideas. If they're going to give you 5 yds/play on short throws, why not take those.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well it's 7 pm and I still don't feel any better , we sucked in 2019 but knew we would , we sucked worse in 2020 but was hoping it was because of covid but now know it was cause of CGC. now it's 2021 and we are going backwards not cause of the player but cause CGC is not a head coach. He can't or will not answer any real questions

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
For all who are calling for a new coach, and I would certainly be in favor of it myself, how do you get past the fact that CGC has a long term contract and GT is one of the most cash-strapped athletic departments in all of Division 1?
Get Ken Nugebt
Say there’s been an accident - we hired Geoff Collins
Sue for damages
Pay him off through JG Wentworth

Boom. Done.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Well it's 7 pm and I still don't feel any better , we sucked in 2019 but knew we would , we sucked worse in 2020 but was hoping it was because of covid but now know it was cause of CGC. now it's 2021 and we are going backwards not cause of the player but cause CGC is not a head coach. He can't or will not answer any real questions
Yeah his inability/refusal/deflection on questions and answers makes it even worse.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Mark Bradley's column in the AJC this morning out and out ridicules Collins and his pretensions in what amounts to a printed autopsy. Although I was never a Collins guy I hate to see Georgia Tech looped in as part of his goofiness.
Is it? Based upon many comments here, many agree with Mark.

ballground jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah his inability/refusal/deflection on questions and answers makes it even worse.
When he said this team has made strides and strides I asked my wife did he just really say that? People got mad at CPJ when he would say this is on me or the coaches just didn't do enough. I just don't know what to say anymore.