Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked the call too. We have just come off so a touchdown drive and then the long Gibbs run and we’re in position to seize the momentum and take the lead. I did not care for the play call but the decision to go was good. Even having not made it, the defense needed to make a stand and get the ball back instead of folding and giving up another long drive. Just seems like overall poor coaching and the team simply does not know how to win by making a big play when they need it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Time should be measured by how much leeway a program is willing to give a HC to effect change. In that sense, time is a finite number that is rarely agreed upon before the coach takes the job. In a normal program, it can be understood to be 2=3 years. In our situation, it's probably 4-5 years.

Every time you enact a coaching change you are in essence resetting the clock. That's a major reason I am willing to be patient for another year or two. I don't want to start over from scratch yet again.
That's exactly been my point. But I also want to know what can be done from the coaching side to get us to the wins . Whatever they are doing in practice isn't working out which is why I believe a new approach needs to be taken this off-season, and if that means new coordinators so be it. Something clearly isn't working and Coach Collins should admit that

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
We need coaches that don’t that no **** coaches and we need that will help the most is a hard core strength coach instead of a cheerleader strength that we go. Don’t get me wrong I like him but he should be an assistant at best. We are soft and week and it starts with him.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Since we are in the sad coaching shape we are in I think the judgement at year end on CGC (since we cannot get rid of him) is to see if he steps up to the necessary changes needed to upgrade our coordinators (and maybe some position coaches also). Not doing so will continue to be this disaster.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
If Collins truely wants to be a CEO/face of the program/cheerleader type of coach and not be involved in x and o’s then he really needs to hire competent OC/DC. He’s trying to be Dabo, but with his friends/comfort at DC/OC. Thacker and Pat are very underwhelming. PAt has ok moments, but I Would say he’s average at best. Thacker is great as a person, but way over his head at this level as a coach. We look lost week after week on defensive scheme.

Collins should have told TStan I’m going to market/promote/etc the heck out of this program but I need to pay to bring in top notch coordinators. He didn’t do that and has really paid the price.

I won’t put it all on the coaches as guys have to make plays too, and we have a bunch of non p5 guys playing a lot of minutes on this roster. You can tell by how much we get manhandled on LOS and lack of speed in the secondary.

With all that said would love to see lots of changes to the staff, but I think Collins takes all his guys down with the sinking ship

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If Collins truely wants to be a CEO/face of the program/cheerleader type of coach and not be involved in x and o’s then he really needs to hire competent OC/DC. He’s trying to be Dabo, but with his friends/comfort at DC/OC. Thacker and Pat are very underwhelming. PAt has ok moments, but I Would say he’s average at best. Thacker is great as a person, but way over his head at this level as a coach. We look lost week after week on defensive scheme.

Collins should have told TStan I’m going to market/promote/etc the heck out of this program but I need to pay to bring in top notch coordinators. He didn’t do that and has really paid the price.

I won’t put it all on the coaches as guys have to make plays too, and we have a bunch of non p5 guys playing a lot of minutes on this roster. You can tell by how much we get manhandled on LOS and lack of speed in the secondary.

With all that said would love to see lots of changes to the staff, but I think Collins takes all his guys down with the sinking ship
And that is the problem CGC thinks he is a good coach.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
CGC needs to cut ties with the very least Thacker and if he needs to put some of his salary towards hiring a really good D coordinator then do so bc if he continues along these lines he won’t be coaching P5 as a head coach after this stint.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I liked the call too. We have just come off so a touchdown drive and then the long Gibbs run and we’re in position to seize the momentum and take the lead. I did not care for the play call but the decision to go was good. Even having not made it, the defense needed to make a stand and get the ball back instead of folding and giving up another long drive. Just seems like overall poor coaching and the team simply does not know how to win by making a big play when they need it.
The risk is too great for the reward right there. Taking the three keeps the game close and gives you likely two more chances to win EVEN IF they go kick a FG on the next drive.

Meanwhile failing to convert gives the opponent an opportunity to essentially end the game on the next drive (which they did)

DuluthJacket83

Georgia Tech Fan
All I want is someone to admit and take responsibility for results. I'm tired of the sound bytes and BS. Say that he was out coached. Say that he and the staff did not prepare the team, did not make adjustments well. This never happens, only how close we are to being great. I just want a little honesty. How stupid does he think we all are?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
All I want is someone to admit and take responsibility for results. I'm tired of the sound bytes and BS. Say that he was out coached. Say that he and the staff did not prepare the team, did not make adjustments well. This never happens, only how close we are to being great. I just want a little honesty. How stupid does he think we all are?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
How many players on the roster were recruited by Johnson?
All of the upperclassmen that are not transfers.

As well as nearly every sophomore if we don't want to grant the latitude of the free Covid year of eligibility (exceptions being Sims, Gibbs, and a few others).

This is not to excuse underwhelming coaching, but I believe seasoning is critical context.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear, but want to see the results. Lots of hot air from this coach previously.
I suspect he was getting some frustration from the players in the locker room
In fairness, this isn't the first time he's taken responsibility. Fans are probably just drowning in the volume of platitudes and missed the prior statements of culpability that they're looking for.

But ultimately as you said the results haven't really changed, which is what we care most about.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
In fairness, this isn't the first time he's taken responsibility. Fans are probably just drowning in the volume of platitudes and missed the prior statements of culpability that they're looking for.

But ultimately as you said the results haven't really changed, which is what we care most about.
That's what I mean, last weekend he took blame and claimed he talked with the coaches and the D-backs and would get this fixed .

This week , same thing. Which tells me his approach isn't working. Results mean more than words

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And that is the problem CGC thinks he is a good coach.

we don't really know that for sure. Here is the issue....you offer a man (or woman) 7 figures to accept a job. Doesn't matter what the job is. How many people do you believe would turn that offer down by saying that I'm simply not ready at this point in my career? At CGC's salary, I would have accepted the job and I am willing to be candid and honest enough to say that I am not qualified. Maybe the only job I would not accept at that salary is airline pilot or demolition expert.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok lets look at this from the start what made Stansbury a good pick as AD , who did he pick to coach at UCF or any place he has been.

Now you are digging into the real issue. The problem is the people you are questioning in this decision don't (apparently) measure success in that job the way that most of the rest of us do. Remember, these are the same people that hired Braine, DRad and that other guy whose name escapes me at the moment but was an invisble man while here on North Avenue.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
we don't really know that for sure. Here is the issue....you offer a man (or woman) 7 figures to accept a job. Doesn't matter what the job is. How many people do you believe would turn that offer down by saying that I'm simply not ready at this point in my career? At CGC's salary, I would have accepted the job and I am willing to be candid and honest enough to say that I am not qualified. Maybe the only job I would not accept at that salary is airline pilot or demolition expert.
then the problem starts with the AD