Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Left off getting caught cheating (again) and only had a 2 game suspension. I used to be a Bruce "hypocrite" Pearl fan, but the winning has changed him to where he HAS to cheat to keep the wins up, even though he is a really good coach. Its a shame to see.
It doesn't change my point. Auburn is having a great run right now because of the transfer portal. If you can show he cheated to get ranked, I'm interested to know your thoughts.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He got run out of UT for violations. Must be a decent coach but without ethics.
I would agree Bruce struggles to color inside the lines. He held a barbecue at his house for players and invited a recruit, which is against the rules. THAT is not what lead to him leaving UT. When asked about it, he lied. THAT is what led to him leaving. Same story ... it's not the crime, it's the cover up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would agree Bruce struggles to color inside the lines. He held a barbecue at his house for players and invited a recruit, which is against the rules. THAT is not what lead to him leaving UT. When asked about it, he lied. THAT is what led to him leaving. Same story ... it's not the crime, it's the cover up.
Also thought he was caught doing phone calls to recruits during non contact period. May be wrong on that one. Based on today's standards he would probably still be at UT.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
And the negativism continues. Hope you feel better cause you not helping anything except maybe making yourself fe3l better. If we beat Clemson every one of you will come on these boards just like after the NC game saying how great GC is.

lots of quitters in this thread: bring back the prior offense; quit the ACC to start some sort of brainiac conference, cause we're so smart and all; drop ugag from the schedule; drop to fcs; on and on.

some of these folks must've gone to a different GT than I did. You wouldn't have lasted 2 quarters at the GT I went to if you were a quitter.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
lots of quitters in this thread: bring back the prior offense; quit the ACC to start some sort of brainiac conference, cause we're so smart and all; drop ugag from the schedule; drop to fcs; on and on.

some of these folks must've gone to a different GT than I did. You wouldn't have lasted 2 quarters at the GT I went to if you were a quitter.
I don't see it as "quitting" to run a different offense but outside of that I mostly agree with you. The brainiac conference I took as sort of tongue-in-cheek.
But the most ridiculous one of these is the idea of dropping down to FCS. Who does that willingly? The Idaho Vandals. Sheesh.
It would be one mad dash for the exits. I'm amazed to even see that proposed on the board. What a horrible, horrible idea.

Same goes for dropping teams just because we aren't currently beating them. We've beaten Georgia as recently as 2016 and Clemson in 2014. Who drops rivals after mere 5-and 7-year losing streaks? At least they fill the stadium. It's hardly their fault it's mostly red and orange. We need to focus on getting better, not quitting. I'd rather lose than quit. You quit, you lose PERMANENTLY.

JacketFan137

Banned

i think half the people just want the option back more than anything else

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We were never in the position to go against the big boys in college football. I felt that it was time for CPJ to retire and would have loved to see us return to some of the good teams during the 1990s but those days are gone. We would of had a more consistent team that competed with a guy like Monken (that’s if he would have even considered the job). I’m not sure where we go from here with the football program. (basketball doesn’t look much better moving forward)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We were never in the position to go against the big boys in college football. I felt that it was time for CPJ to retire and would have loved to see us return to some of the good teams during the 1990s but those days are gone. We would of had a more consistent team that competed with a guy like Monken (that’s if he would have even considered the job). I’m not sure where we go from here with the football program. (basketball doesn’t look much better moving forward)
That's really the decision. IF you think you have the resources to compete .... you try to take on the Factories at the Game. Tennessee can do it (even if they haven't) because of the massive cash flow the Athletics Dept generates. If you are University of Lower Slobodia, you need an edge.

As Jim Collins said, "Find one thing you can be the best in the world at, and exploit the hell out of it." We didn't do that. We were embarrassed at the propect of being the best at the TO.

There are all sorts of rule changes that are making even the TO difficult to deliver on in P5. But we need an edge. We don't have one. Not in players. Not in coaches. Not in resources. Not in facilities.

At some point, you have to realize that Hope is not a strategy.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not me. I’m happy with winning 3 games a year for the rest of my life as long as we don’t run that high school offense. After all, what’s wrong with losing 75% of your games as long as your offense is like what everyone else is running?
I assume this is sarcasm. I would be happy running the single wing if it wins games. Everything is a high school offense.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not me. I’m happy with winning 3 games a year for the rest of my life as long as we don’t run that high school offense. After all, what’s wrong with losing 75% of your games as long as your offense is like what everyone else is running?
(not directed at you)

It happens quite frequently in message boards that, when people can't or don't want to address actual issues and have actual discussions, the "discussion" turns into tribal gibberish. "Discussions" turn into one-line "stingers" that make no sense to the discussion but allow the tribes to feel like they really put one on the other side.

There have been some on both "sides" of this thread that have engaged in such activity, but there are plenty of people who have expressed actual thoughts and ideas. It seems to me that lately one "side" has been solely in the "tribal" speech. (plus basically telling everyone else to shut up)

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a lot of speculation there, but ok, I can go along with that. There is a very real chance that college football will drive massive change in (and perhaps cannibalize) the college sports landscape. The large state schools will likely concentrate together for football and of course they will remain competitive in other sports such as basketball. The part I take issue with is the rise of Auburn as the harbinger of basketball demise for the ACC (or any school not in the SEC).
It’s only a matter of time before Bruce Pearl ends up on probation…he is the moth to the flame