Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I simply completely disagree with this premise.

Pitt won the ACC this year.

Wake finished second.

Baylor won the Big 12.

Utah won the PAC 12.

None of the schools listed above us have the recruiting ceiling we do.
True. Their's is higher then ours.

Except maybe Wake. They're winning by coaching.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There a ton of examples that prove you don’t need to be different of offense though. That’s what my whole post was about. Can you point to me any significant differences in the way Wake Forest and Alabama run their offenses? Or what about Utah and Ohio State?

Cincinnati, Baylor, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Utah, BYU, Pitt, UL Lafayette, Wake Forest, Houston, UTSA, and Kentucky are all ranked in the top 25. What do all of those schools have in common? They’re all running the same offensive concepts from the same formations as Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. None of those schools are recruiting powerhouses, and they all beat multiple teams with more talent than they had even though they weren’t “different” on offense. Georgia, Michigan, and Iowa are probably the most unique offenses in the top 25, and that’s just because they’re running vanilla sets and relying heavily on their run game to the set the tone. You saw what happened when Georgia had to play against a team who shut down their run game, scored on their defense, and forced them to use the spread concepts that are most common in today’s college game. They got smoked.

The formations and the concepts aren’t what makes a successful offense. The only thing that matters is the execution. You can run the same exact play 80 times in a game, and if everyone executed their job perfectly that play would work every single time. But because eventually a defense would catch on to that, you have to change things up. That’s where your route trees, your blocking schemes, your QB progressions, and running lanes come from.

The biggest difference between Alabama’s offense and Georgia Tech’s offense isn’t the concepts, it’s the execution. Same thing with Pitt and Georgia Tech, or Wake Forest and Alabama. Their players are doing a better job of executing their designed concept than ours are. And Alabama’s do a better job than literally everyone else.

So, you don’t need a unique offense that’s only good because most teams don’t know how to prepare for it, all you need is an offense that properly executes it’s plays more times than not. How can that be accomplished? Well, you could just get better players that will be better at executing a design and can improvise when needed ie: Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. Or you can coach lesser players to always be in the right spot and always do what they need to do to complete a design ie: Pitt, Wake Forest, Utah, Baylor, Kentucky, etc.
You wore me out. Too much reading. GT is not like other schools. Are you an alum? I could list a myriad of reasons, but I am tired. We won’t get where we want without great coaches. Those of you that think we can recruit our way to actual prosperity (including beating teams like UGAG) with “great” recruiting are in error, but you are welcome to believe it.

PS - did not read all of your post.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
True. Their's is higher then ours.

Except maybe Wake. They're winning by coaching.
Collins has outrecruited or recruited similarly while winning 3 games a year. That’s just a fact.

You can’t dispute that right?

So how is their ceiling higher than ours?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyed the convo guys. Difference of opinions are what makes the world go round. You guys are wrong as hell but it’s all good.

I’m going to bed.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We're recruiting them alright. It's getting them to come to Tech and stay that's the problem.
Since 2020 Tech has signed (or currently committed for the 22 class) more 4 star players than: Michigan State, Virginia, Pitt, Arizona State, Iowa, Iowa State, Cinicinnati, UCLA, Nebraska, South Carolina, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Stanford just to name a few. Acquiring talent is not the problem at all. The problem is developing that talent and putting them in the right places to be successful during games.

Only 1 of those 13 players has transferred, and with Bryce Gowdy’s tragedy only 2 of them aren’t on the roster. The problem isn’t keeping talent, either.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You wore me out. Too much reading. GT is not like other schools. Are you an alum? I could list a myriad of reasons, but I am tired. We won’t get where we want without great coaches. Those of you that think we can recruit our way to actual prosperity (including beating teams like UGAG) with “great” recruiting are in error, but you are welcome to believe it.

PS - did not read all of your post.
I am an alum. I was also an athlete. But thanks for literally just being too lazy to investigate or even hear other opinions because you’re living in your confirmation bias

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Certainly. A ton of different formation each game. Does that remind of you of Johnson’s in any way? Not me.

Lots of formations only about 6 plays so yes. a ton of option. Both in 1990 and with joe. So really you have to go back to what? one year of curry to find us not having success with an option offense? We also did a lot of veer but i don't think you really understand what you are watching well enough to have a discussion on it given your takes.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I did read your opinion. You have every right to it. I just disagree.
And there are a dozen teams who disagree with you and are proving you wrong this year…. And there has always been teams proving that point wrong, and next year there will still be teams proving that point wrong. There’s even a team in CFP who dominated a top 5 Notre Dame team on the road who’s highest recruiting class since 2017 is #39, soooo 🤷🏼‍♂️

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ really oversold the impact of scheme. It impacts many of the smaller things you do, but whatever the scheme it is how you do those smaller things that leads to success or failure. Scheme itself isn't going to move you up five places or down five places.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Apparently I wasn’t the only one that enjoyed looking at formations. The talent level at GT went on a steady decline after Johnson took over. Not surprisingly his best 2 year stretch was his first 2 years here when he was working with players Gailey recruited.
You probably won’t read this but you probably should considering your lack of actual schematic knowledge

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Certainly. A ton of different formation each game. Does that remind of you of Johnson’s in any way? Not me.
Focusing on the formations when first lining up while ignoring what's actually going on during the play coming out of those formations isn't exactly inspiring confidence in your ability to analyze what's happening on the field.

But you described the previous scheme as a 'god forsaken offense' which I personally think is a stupid way to describe something that had a lot of success here. It's very telling about your priorities so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What made 3O work for CPJ (when it worked) was that he was a wizard of it and could call it masterfully. Not that the scheme itself is a plug and play cheat mode.

I think the only years you can say the offense wasn't working truly was maybe 2013 (though that offense still moved the ball pretty well just not with the option) even in 2015 we were just mediocre even with playcallign severely limited by injuries. Agian what killed a lot of our better offensive performances was a defense that couldn't well, defend.

But even still we never had defenses as **** as collin's.