Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I added something to original post stating that the transition issues were caused by decision makers, not the previous coaches. We better be willing to be different, or we will be insignificant for a long, long time, in my opinion.
I think we can be average if we do what everyone else does. Average means going 5 and 5 against the power 5 and beating two patsies. Sure, there is some upside and some downside to those numbers, but we need to do something different to be truly successful.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I think we can be average if we do what everyone else does. Average means going 5 and 5 against the power 5 and beating two patsies. Sure, there is some upside and some downside to those numbers, but we need to do something different to be truly successful.
See my post above.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I mean, you people really think this awful past 3 years is coincidence to coming out of he option.

Wow...

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Lmao! Johnson was FAR from multiple. He looked NOTHING like Friedgen.
I never said Johnson was multiple? Reading comprehension? I said we ran a ton of option under Fridgen. So to put it solely on us being an “option” based team is wrong. Our composite ranking for talent was 5th in the ACC and we finished last. Yep completely Johnson’s fault.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I simply completely disagree with this premise.

Pitt won the ACC this year.

Wake finished second.

Baylor won the Big 12.

Utah won the PAC 12.

None of the schools listed above us have the recruiting ceiling we do.
I don't know anything about Baylor or Utah but Pitt and Wake did have 2 very good QB's and lots of Seniors on their team. Plus the fact that the ACC was pretty bad this year and will be worse next year.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Wake finished second.

Baylor won the Big 12.

Utah won the PAC 12.

We are none of those schools. We are an urban (large urban) STEM school. And, the only one trying to play P5 football. We can agree to disagree.

Also, I want to have a chance to beat UGAG again before I leave this world, & that ain’t happening doing it with a “pro style” O. We will never go back to pretending it is about “student”-athletes again. It is not.

Last edited:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I never said Johnson was multiple? Reading comprehension? I said we ran a ton of option under Fridgen. So to put it solely on us being an “option” based team is wrong. Our composite ranking for talent was 5th in the ACC and we finished last. Yep completely Johnson’s fault.
Well, considering the conversation was about the difficulties of coming out of the option, your original comment about Freidgen running some option was irrelevant.

I’ll pull you along and try to give you specific and frequent updates on what the conversation is about.

Cheers!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Johnson won 57.3% of his games here and 58% of conference games here
Gailey won 57.9% of his games here and 58.3% of his conference games here.

People need to stop pretending the TO was some mythical offense that took us above where we were. It wasn't. It still needed better recruiting to find true success and it limited our ability to recruit. Yeah we won the ACC with it. When we had Dwyer and Thomas the best BBack and WR we had the entire tenure Johnnson was here. Similar to how our best season under Gailey came when we had Calvin.

There is a reason no other major conference team tried to follow our lead in the decade Johnson was here, and it wasn't because we were aware of some big secret that nobody else knew. It is because it's obvious that even with the option you need to recruit at a high level to compete at a high level, and the option just added one more challenge to recruiting at a high level.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Well, considering the conversation was about the difficulties of coming out of the option, your original comment about Freidgen running some option was irrelevant.

I’ll pull you along and try to give you specific and frequent updates on what the conversation is about.

Cheers!
Why are we last in the ACC in defense l? I’ve asked 3x. You can’t answer

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anything about Baylor or Utah but Pitt and Wake did have 2 very good QB's and lots of Seniors on their team. Plus the fact that the ACC was pretty bad this year and will be worse next year.
The ACC finished with the most teams in the top 20 of the CFP rankings of anybody. Couldn’t have been that bad.

Baylor and Utah are not re rioting juggernauts. We flipped a 4 star qb from Baylor coming of 3 straight 3 win seasons this year for example.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Wake finished second.

Baylor won the Big 12.

Utah won the PAC 12.

People with pretty poor recruiting classes have won conference championships. Not to say anything about Utah, Pitt, Wake or Baylor, just saying that recruiting is not a magic bullet.
Yes, it’s easier to win with better players.
No, better players don’t equal sustained success especially in the absence of leadership and development.
My personal opinion based on what I have seen so far is that we could have pulled 3 consecutive top 10 classes and still may not be .500.
I hope I’m reading it wrong, but I think it will take more than just recruiting to fix us and I hope we didn’t put all of our eggs in that basket.
Also worth noting, it was not long ago that WE were winning power 5 conference championships with “worse” recruiting classes than several of the teams you mentioned and “present day” Tech.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry but I haven’t been on this board in a couple years. Do people really claim coming out of the 3O has not been a negative for our program?

that’s something people debate on here?

Sorry but I haven't been on the board much this season. Do people really still claim that the 3O is the root of the current problems with the team and program?

that's something people still debate on here?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We are none of those schools. We are an urban (large urban) STEM school. And, the only one trying to play P5 football. We can agree to disagree.

Also, I want to have a chance to beat UGAG again before I leave this world, & that ain’t happening doing it with a “pro style” O. We will never go back to pretending it is about “student”-athletes again. It is not.
Not sure what being a STEM school has to do with it. Are you under the impression we are not recruiting the same kids as liberal arts schools?

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Cheers!
“Some option” hahaha go back and watch a game of the Hamilton years. We had multiple flexbone and wishbone packages as well as running the option out of the I.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Why are we last in the ACC in defense l? I’ve asked 3x. You can’t answer
Because we were really poorly coached. Had nothing to do with my point.

That is a lot if you guys problem. Many of you think being negative about the 3O means you are positive towards Collins.

I’m negative on both. They both play a roll in our current situation.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Of course we are, but we aren’t going to get in the top 10, and recruiting isn’t going to solve our woes, especially when it is top 30 at best. We need great coaching.
Collins would pull top 20 classes if he was winning. You are MASSIVELY underselling the ceiling of our program.