Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Well, first he lost the fans (empty stands), then the media (even Ken!) then the players (transfer portal), then the donors, then Coach Choice, now the recruits (last minute decommitments). Other than TStan, just who does Collins have left?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
If this is true, and we kept the snake oil salesmen, then we are lose any future claim about being a "smart" school. There isn't a business on the planet that would keep their CEO after such an under performance if they could replace him that easy.
Who is going to replace him? You don’t want a Brian Gregory hire that sets the program back even farther financially and in performance.

If you’re an AD, you probably call around to feel out some options. If they’re universally turning down interest, it’s probably better to wait a year, lower the buyout, see if a new option becomes available and shows interest.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I still want the anti-Collins crowd to explain how he is supposed to win with offensive line talent he has--if any of them know what an offensive line does. Due to the scheme change you have to give him five years. I wasn't pleased with the defensive coaching this year, but since he fired half the defensive staff I'll give him a chance there.
I understand the talent deficit. I'll give Collins that, and give him another year or two to fix it.

Except I don't see any evidence that the team (at whatever talent level) is being coached up. Too many offsides, too many missed assignments, too much confusion, too many puzzling decisions from the sidelines, too many clock management issues, etc. The whole thing rings of a HC who couldn't organize a pissing contest in a brewery.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I understand the talent deficit. I'll give Collins that, and give him another year or two to fix it.

Except I don't see any evidence that the team (at whatever talent level) is being coached up. Too many offsides, too many missed assignments, too much confusion, too many puzzling decisions from the sidelines, too many clock management issues, etc. The whole thing rings of a HC who couldn't organize a pissing contest in a brewery.
I'll agree with regard to missed assignments on defense. Film from BC, for example, shows that 3 of the touchdowns were blown assignments that were head scratchers. The coaches have to put the players in position to win, and that wasn't happening on defense. Hopefully, we will get the guys in who can fix it. Again, half of the D staff is being replaced, so it's not like Collins doesn't recognize the problem. Still, the best talent is young, and the best defenses have experienced players.

However, on offense, the OL is a mess, and that's not Collins' or Key's fault. It's what they inherited, along with no tight end or QB with passing skills.

The "coached up" thing is largely BS. Georgia and Alabama are where they are because of recruiting, and not being "coached up." This isn't high school ball.
You anti-CPJ crowd keep saying stuff like this. How about this: the offense was good enough this year to win more than 3. Collins doesn't get a pass for the rest of the team.
Give me facts to support your opinion that the offense was good enough this year. You obviously don't understand the roster situation or the injury situation on the OL this year. I don't need another unsupported opinion from someone who has no facts to support the opinion--which is pretty much every anti-Collins poster. All you people know is who the head coach is and that Tech won three games. That is the sum and substance that your opinion is based on-- as your post shows. Tell me-- without looking--who the 5 OL were that got the most playing time against Uga. You can't, nor do you know why that was true. You people need to put your pitchforks down. YOU are damaging this program.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I'll agree with regard to missed assignments on defense. Film from BC, for example, shows that 3 of the touchdowns were blown assignments that were head scratchers. The coaches have to put the players in position to win, and that wasn't happening on defense. Hopefully, we will get the guys in who can fix it. Again, half of the D staff is being replaced, so it's not like Collins doesn't recognize the problem. Still, the best talent is young, and the best defenses have experienced players.

However, on offense, the OL is a mess, and that's not Collins' or Key's fault. It's what they inherited, along with no tight end or QB with passing skills.

The "coached up" thing is largely BS. Georgia and Alabama are where they are because of recruiting, and not being "coached up." This isn't high school ball.

Give me facts to support your opinion that the offense was good enough this year. You obviously don't understand the roster situation or the injury situation on the OL this year. I don't need another unsupported opinion from someone who has no facts to support the opinion--which is pretty much every anti-Collins poster. All you people know is who the head coach is and that Tech won three games. That is the sum and substance that your opinion is based on-- as your post shows. Tell me-- without looking--who the 5 OL were that got the most playing time against Uga. You can't, nor do you know why that was true. You people need to put your pitchforks down. YOU are damaging this program.
Can you find any fault with this coaching staff that is directly on them? Be honest with yourself.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I came in from yard work during the ND game, and sat down to have something to drink and watch a little football. It was 3rd and 8ish, we were down by 14 or 17, and we had the ball. It took 3 tries to complete a 3rd down play. The first one was a motion penalty, so it became 3rd and 13. Then we took a delay penalty and it was 3rd and 18. Then the center snapped the ball unexpectedly (except to him) and we were lucky Yates caught the ball and made it back to the LOS. I took my drink outside and raked more leaves.

I can coach 8 year olds to do better. It was just pitiful.

Just one (3?) example of how this staff hasn't gotten the team prepared to succeed. There were plenty of other examples. Was it Clemson where we had Gibbs fair catch the kickoff with 12 seconds left in a game where we were down? He/his return was our ONLY chance of getting to the endzone to win the game. And we missed the opportunity.

O'Leary, Gailey, Ross, and PJ collectively won a lot of games by having their team(s) well prepared. Based on what I've seen, Collins has a lot of work to do before his teams are anywhere near well prepared.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like everyone believes we will suck next year- maybe win 3 games- and that CGC will be canned. Everyone may be right with outcome of our 2022 Tech season.
In sports, when everyone predicts the same outcome for a team’s season, many times they are flat out wrong. I hope that all of you are wrong with your Tech 2022 forecast.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like everyone believes we will suck next year- maybe win 3 games- and that CGC will be canned. Everyone may be right with outcome of our 2022 Tech season.
In sports, when everyone predicts the same outcome for a team’s season, many times they are flat out wrong. I hope that all of you are wrong with your Tech 2022 forecast.
I hope we win 10 games in the regular season and then the Orange Bowl. I wouldn’t bet money on that outcome, though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I still want the anti-Collins crowd to explain how he is supposed to win with offensive line talent he has--if any of them know what an offensive line does. Due to the scheme change you have to give him five years. I wasn't pleased with the defensive coaching this year, but since he fired half the defensive staff I'll give him a chance there.
Problem being the DC Thacker is still here I'm not saying the other didn't need to be but so is Thacker.