Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Animal02

Banned
Don't get me wrong - I truly believe the gift/talent of salesmanship is important, but it should not be the main skill of a P5 HC. It is a good tool to have in the toolbox when you are recruiting. Unfortunately, sometimes it is obvious when that is all someone has to offer.
There are lots of salespeople that are good at their job, and I have worked with a lot......but there are those that are just pure BSers, and they have become easy to spot.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops. What i was trying to say is Collins record speaks for itself. He deserves the criticism he's receiving. How can you defend him?
There are plenty of things to criticize and he does deserve all of that criticism. It's just perplexing that with so many real things to criticize so many resort to making things up and inventing things to criticize about the staff.

Granted most of it is just ignorance but there are so many real things to criticize! They don't need to make things up! Then it's not criticism and it's just someone throwing a tantrum

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Johnson always said he loved GT and his job. I never appreciated him or his coaching, but I give him much appreciation and respect for the way he exited GT. He could have made it more expensive.
Do you appreciate the current staff more or less?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
And now this nonsense. Love the word “obviously” here…sheesh

My buddy made a good point that I feel like sorta sums up

“You can’t have an all marketing with zero accountability approach. Both of them talk like everyone around them is just ****ing stupid.”

Todd Stansbury: Georgia Tech 'obviously getting better' with Geoff Collins

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ith-geoff-collins/FGBKUFNV6ZFL7H4B542ZX7M4DQ/

(Via AJC News)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Oops. What i was trying to say is Collins record speaks for itself. He deserves the criticism he's receiving. How can you defend him?

Never said he didn’t deserve but to criticize what’s going on in a vacuum as if there is not A LOT nuances and variables in play is unfair in my opinion. It’s just as simple take what you got and win. If that was the case there would be a lot more parity in CFB

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I can’t think of an AD worth their salt who would undercut their coach in the media. Why would you expect him to say anything different?
There is a difference. He could say something like, “this is obviously not where we want to be and Geoff and I will continue to work hard to figure out how we can turn this thing around.” He doesn’t have to say he’s doing a good job.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Never said he didn’t deserve but to criticize what’s going on in a vacuum as if there is not A LOT nuances and variables in play is unfair in my opinion. It’s just as simple take what you got and win. If that was the case there would be a lot more parity in CFB
Sure, there are nuances. But you’ve got to be doing a hell of a lot more wrong than right to have 9-10 wins in three years. And I don’t know about you, but even though the scores are close in some of these games it rarely feels like we have a real chance at winning - more like we need something crazy to happen to give us a chance.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
I just talked Tech football with Scott Van Pelt, he says Geoff is unbelievably arrogant. Like, he thinks he’s Nick Saban but without the accomplishments of Nick Saban. He said Geoff is definitely not the guy for Tech football. Take that for what it’s worth.
I am just curious as to how you spoke to Scott Van Pelt much less about Tech football....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, that’s the problem with this analogy. There’s no guarantee Collins will figure this out in the long run and all the signs point to him…not figuring it out.

Also as Liberty pointed out, Brady won his first SB his first year as a starter. I don’t get the point lol

That's the problem with QBs who haven't progressed. You don't know if they will or not.

At least with QBs, you can change them out. Wish we would. Wish we could change HCs. But we can't for another few years.

This is going to be our longest post ever before it's done. 137 pages and counting.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All that matters takes place between 60:00 and 0:00 starting in year 3. Most of the negativity in this thread is regarding something from 60:00 to 0:00. Sure people criticize his press conferences, his attire, etc. That comes with the job and as a grown man he can take it. What he can’t avoid and what he obviously can’t handle is the criticism of events that take place during the 60:00 to 0:00. You know why? He can’t talk around facts. He can pretend thru words that recruits are better than they really are, he can pretend the hard work, unity, love, etc is being built. But he can’t use words to get around the scoreboard. He can’t use words to get around the crazy number of 3 and outs every game. He can’t use words to get around another receiver behind his coverage. He has another chance tomorrow to show how he coaches between 60:00 and 0:00. We’ll all be watching.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I just talked Tech football with Scott Van Pelt, he says Geoff is unbelievably arrogant. Like, he thinks he’s Nick Saban but without the accomplishments of Nick Saban. He said Geoff is definitely not the guy for Tech football. Take that for what it’s worth.
How does he know anything about Geoff?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, I've recently heard similar things from people supporting with the recruiting staff. Apparently he treats the support staff pretty poorly, constantly has an arrogant attitude, demands well respected elderly personal pick up his dry cleaning (which is very below them and disrespectful), and demands a golf cart ride to his car after practice that's only a couple hundred feet away. The last part gave me a good chuckle for obvious reasons.