Most Desirable AD Jobs in the ACC

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Over 100 sitting Athletic Directors and executive-level administrators who currently are or could soon be an ACC AD were invited to share feedback on each AD job in the league. The data was used to provide detailed insights about the potential for success at each school.

The nine variables utilized to determine the rankings include:
  • Athletics facilities relative to ACC peers
  • Perceptions about the ability to generate donor & corporate support for the athletics program
  • Perceptions about institutional leadership (e.g. President, Trustees, C-Suite) in support of the athletic program
  • Perceptions about the quality of the institution’s brand
  • Perceptions about the potential for serious compliance & NCAA rules violations
  • Potential for Football success relative to ACC peers
  • Potential for Men’s Basketball success relative to ACC peers
  • Potential for success in non-revenue sports relative to ACC peers
  • Quality of Life (cost of living, schools, culture, geography) if all other factors were equal
acc-overall-Sept1.png

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-department-power-index-acc/

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Either these guys just looked at the standings in each sport, or they have no clue what they're getting into.

Just because DRad and Bobinski were terrible fundraisers, doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. I think we've seen that through TStan getting the pockets a little looser.

I'm always a little surprised at the quality of people we get for some of the positions we hire, and TStan has taken it to another level. We just stole the minor league pitching coordinator for the Yankees to be our pitching coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How is it a media hack job? It was ADs doing the ranking. WRT quality of life....Tech ranked pretty high IMO.

They take a bunch of uninformed opinions, as an example there is no way 110 potential ad candidates (not ads) have domain knowledge across all 15 schools. Do the math. Its all impressions and conjecture. So what? Somehow all acc schools interview random candidates yearly and give them detailed program access to make informed judgments. BS.

Its like polling in politics

Then create a representation and narrative

Screw it. Have watched this crap for years

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
They take a bunch of uninformed opinions, as an example there is no way 110 potential ad candidates (not ads) have domain knowledge across all 15 schools. Do the math. Its all impressions and conjecture. So what? Somehow all acc schools interview random candidates yearly and give them detailed program access to make informed judgments. BS.

The ADs has the SIDs complete the survey just like the coaches have them do the coaches poll ballots. Whole thing is just click bait.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You're exactly right. The problem is, as much as we don't like it, it IS the perceived narrative that exists currently. Unfortunately for us, those beliefs are held by people who have a fairly good working knowledge of college athletics.

It's eye opening, but it's not concrete. It's very possible that the current rebranding efforts could shift us higher in the "rankings."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you look at the first four, facilities, donors, leadership, and brand, I think they drive the rest, with QoL being on an island by itself. There's no argument that our facilities lag behind many other schools in our conference, and that's largely because of donors and institutional leadership. How many times have we complained about MBob and the Hill? Finally, I know we've been arguing about rebranding on this board for years. These for things are drivers for the change we seek. So it's not really surprising that outsiders pick up on our deficiencies in these four areas, which all ranked fairly low.

Also, not that this is desirability for AD jobs, not coaching jobs. That's a broader scope than just football, and with GT having a limited range of sports in comparison to other ACC schools, the perception that our academics inhibits our recruiting, and the above mentioned items, it's not entirely shocking that this ranking falls out this way. It is, after all, how we are perceived, not how we actually are.

slugboy

Staff member
A couple of surprises to me:
  • FSU being 6th in donor support. They gave a ton to Jimbo and to Bobby.
  • Our facilities being ranked 12th. We've put a lot of effort into that.
  • Our MBB being ranked 10th means some of these ADs have memories before the last two coaches.
  • The brand perception must be of the athletic departments and not just the schools. Otherwise, we'd be higher there.
I think we have an opportunity to dent those numbers significantly.

Edit: (grammar)

Deleted member 2897

Duke #5 in Compliance. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Mike Krzyzewski really is the Lance Armstrong of college basketball.

slugboy

Staff member
I suspect Clempsum is the plum AD job. I hope DRad gets them put on probation like he did for us.

I don’t know—Duke, UNC, and to a newer extent UVA are set for Basketball. Don’t underrate how important that is to an athletic department.

FSU when they were good at football and basketball was a really plum job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
A couple of surprises to me:
  • FSU being 6th in donor support. They gave a ton to Jimbo and to Bobby.
  • Our facilities being ranked 12th. We've put a lot of effort into that.
  • Our MBB being ranked 10th means some of these ADs have memories before the last two coaches.
  • The brand perception must be of the athletic departments and not just the schools. Otherwise, we'd be higher there.
I think we have an opportunity to dent those numbers significantly.

Edit: (grammar)
It is POTENTIAL of success in MBB.....from what I have seen with the current coach.....I would say the rankings is about right.