More love from Herbie

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On ESPN's College Football Final, Kirk said only GT or NC State have a chance to knock off Clemson this year. They showed TaQuan's big run against UNC and he said "with the way TaQuan Marshall is running the triple option right now..."

Media attention is not always something I put a lot of stock in. It can even be a curse when the players start reading (watching) their press clippings and lose that hunger/edge/shoulder chip. But on the other hand, attention goes a long way with poll positions which lead to possible playoff spots if things fall into place. It also helps bigly with recruiting. One thing is for sure, Herbie likes us and I like that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On ESPN's College Football Final, Kirk said only GT or NC State have a chance to knock off Clemson this year. They showed TaQuan's big run against UNC and he said "with the way TaQuan Marshall is running the triple option right now..."

Media attention is not always something I put a lot of stock in. It can even be a curse when the players start reading (watching) their press clippings and lose that hunger/edge/shoulder chip. But on the other hand, attention goes a long way with poll positions which lead to possible playoff spots if things fall into place. It also helps bigly with recruiting. One thing is for sure, Herbie likes us and I like that.

giphy.gif

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The football guys that know triple option works know triple option works. Herbie did the 2014 ACCCG with Chris Fowler. He knows what our offense can do when it's clicking. I really love that commentary in the FSU game about or O-line, "Look at the surge..."

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Up vote for "bigly"

The seven teams remaining on our schedule have an aggregate record of 27-4. All seven are each better than anyone we have played so far. We might be a really solid team and still split 4-3 or 3-4. Next game is the critical game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The seven teams remaining on our schedule have an aggregate record of 27-4. All seven are each better than anyone we have played so far. We might be a really solid team and still split 4-3 or 3-4. Next game is the critical game.

This early in the season, most of them dudes have faced mostly cupcakes so I guess I'd be careful with that 27-4 number.

This early in the season, most of them dudes have faced mostly cupcakes so I guess I'd be careful with that 27-4 number.
Understood, and, of course, several play against each other down the stretch so there is a fixed number of losses that will be incurred. Duke and VPI's lone loss is from within the group of seven, tho.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I'm not a big fan of college gameday or Herbie, (see SEC bias) but I agree about the national attention.
We really caught Herbie's attention the way our OL dominated the LOS against UT.

Deleted member 2897

"This early in the season, most of them dudes have faced mostly cupcakes so I guess I'd be careful with that 27-4 number."

Lets take Miami (3-0) for example, whom the general consensus is that they are a great team this year. They have beat Bethune-Cookman, Toledo, and Duke and that's it. Duke used to be 4-0, but the records of their FBS opponents was 3-11. And those 3 wins by those teams were against an 0-4 team, an 0-4 team, and a team that lost 2 games already by 30+ points. So Miami took Duke down pretty hard, but Duke could be an *** team again this year based on the fact they haven't beat anybody.

I think we need to take each game as its own and not assume anything. We are playing much more solid football than I've ever seen us play this early in the season. I'm used to seeing missed assignments everywhere, and I'm not seeing them this year. We could lose any game left on our schedule, but we can also win most of them if we keep working hard and playing well and believing we can win. Every team on our schedule is also beatable.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's been quick to talk us up since cpj has been here.
I saw him (on TV, I mean) several years ago and he really likes the offense and had been tracking Johnson since Navy. I recall he was very complimentary leading up to the ACC championship and Orange Bowl in '14. Actually seemed to understand it. This is the guy, I believe, who played for Ohio State and several years ago had to move his family out of Columbus because he had said something derogatory about the team and while he was traveling so much his family was getting deluged with hate calls.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's been quick to talk us up since cpj has been here.
I saw him (on TV, I mean) several years ago and he really likes the offense and had been tracking Johnson since Navy. I recall he was very complimentary leading up to the ACC championship and Orange Bowl in '14. Actually seemed to understand it. This is the guy, I believe, who played for Ohio State and several years ago had to move his family out of Columbus because he had said something derogatory about the team and while he was traveling so much his family was getting deluged with hate calls.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

IIRC, he also thought we'd be one of the best teams in the country in 2015, so I'm not quite ready to put a lot of stock in his optimism.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC, he also thought we'd be one of the best teams in the country in 2015, so I'm not quite ready to put a lot of stock in his optimism.

(To be fair, so did most GT fans.)

Still, your point is well-taken. Given that every time I get optimistic we shoot ourselves in the foot, I just take it week-by-week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I saw my own best compliment to Tech when I watched the Air Force - New Mexico game. One team a long-time proponent of the offense (AF) wasn't what I was impressed by. It's that time Bob Davie was a commentator on a televised Tech game, he said he would put in a full option attack if he ever got another chance to coach. They fired him, he got his chance at New Mexico, and he's put in the most potent (until this year) TO running offense in the country. And winning records, of course.

It's like Warren Buffet says, "A check is the difference between a promise and a commitment." Davie put his money where his mouth is and, by his own admission, it was watching Tech down through the years that led him to do it. That's real recognition.