More love from Herbie

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The seven teams remaining on our schedule have an aggregate record of 27-4. All seven are each better than anyone we have played so far. We might be a really solid team and still split 4-3 or 3-4. Next game is the critical game.
JBR,
yep, we actually could beat teams statistically (and probably will) and lose on the scoreboard because of TOs, missed FGs, and poor STs play overall. we could easily be 2-5. EVERY team is a challenge.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Right now I would group most teams in four groups:
Bama and Clemson
The top ten or twelve unbeaten
Most of the rest
Baylor, Rutgers, Kansas, and the ones that will win four or less games.
Only just a few good teams at this point in time.
Everything is fluid at this juncture.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy Herbstreit as an announcer. Met him a long time in an airport coffee shop and spent some time talking college fb with him. He struck me as a genuinely nice guy who loves the game and his job

isnt he the announcer that said tech was one of the teams that do it the right way re a different issue?

im a buckeye. hes a buckeye. he does a good job as far as im concerned.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Miami is going to be a challenge. Everybody else's record will change by the time we play. So will ours. We have a dozen days to get ready. A lot of improvement can happen in the time frame. The one thing I like about this team so far is that we can win more ways now. The defense appears good enough to give us a chance, even when the offense is a bit slowed. That is a huge deal.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO I think we have about 75% chance of beating Duke, WF, and Virginia.

60% chance against Miami (they play FSU before us and we have a bye)

60% chance against VT

25% chance against Clemson

50% chance against UGA

I would normally say 50/50 against Miami and VT but our D is playing at a level I haven't seen. Of course they need to continue playing at this level, and we will also need our OL healthy for this to happen.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

60% chance against VT

50% chance against UGA

I would normally say 50/50 against Miami and VT but our D is playing at a level I haven't seen. Of course they need to continue playing at this level, and we will also need our OL healthy for this to happen.
I haven't seen the defense play at this level since 1990 in my opinion:cool:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I saw my own best compliment to Tech when I watched the Air Force - New Mexico game. One team a long-time proponent of the offense (AF) wasn't what I was impressed by. It's that time Bob Davie was a commentator on a televised Tech game, he said he would put in a full option attack if he ever got another chance to coach. They fired him, he got his chance at New Mexico, and he's put in the most potent (until this year) TO running offense in the country. And winning records, of course.

It's like Warren Buffet says, "A check is the difference between a promise and a commitment." Davie put his money where his mouth is and, by his own admission, it was watching Tech down through the years that led him to do it. That's real recognition.

Here's one for you:

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/10/bill_belichick_shines_some_lig.html

Q: Are you a combination of all the people you’ve played for or coached with?

BB: Again, it’s hard to say. I think my first five years in the league, it was a different head coach every year with a lot of different assistant coaches in that group, from Baltimore to Detroit to a new coaching staff in Detroit, to Denver, to the Giants, to actually a couple years later a new coaching staff with the Giants when Bill [Parcells] came in and all that. My first few years in the league, different head coaches, different coordinators, different assistant coaches. It was a lot of good things from a lot of them.

I wouldn’t say I was overly influenced by one person or another person. There were some people I would say I was influenced to the point of: ‘If I ever coached that position or if I’m ever in charge of this, I’m never going to do it that way.’ There’s some of that, too. There are also plenty of things that I did learn.

It was a little bit like that at Navy. There were different coaches that went through there. Coach [Wayne] Hardin, Coach [Lee] Corso, even after I’d grown up and left there, like Coach [Nick] Saban and people like that that were there, Coach [Paul] Johnson when he came in and ran all the option stuff. Just being around those people and all, you learn different things, different ways of doing it, different ideas. I was probably influenced a little bit by everybody.

I couldn’t really – besides my dad, that was a constant – but there were so many other coaches involved that I had the opportunity to observe or spend time with or be in meetings or on the field with and that kind of thing, football camps. My dad ran a football camp every summer, so there were another dozen coaches there, some of whom were Navy but plenty of other ones were from other colleges and other associations that he had. I’ve worked with and observed a lot of coaches. I don’t know. It’s kind of a menagerie.

CPJ and Belichick have always had a good relationship going back to the '90s when CPJ was the OC there. Belechick has often picked CPJ's brain about the option game and how to defend it, and blocking schemes in the run game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here's one for you:

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/10/bill_belichick_shines_some_lig.html

Q: Are you a combination of all the people you’ve played for or coached with?

BB: Again, it’s hard to say. I think my first five years in the league, it was a different head coach every year with a lot of different assistant coaches in that group, from Baltimore to Detroit to a new coaching staff in Detroit, to Denver, to the Giants, to actually a couple years later a new coaching staff with the Giants when Bill [Parcells] came in and all that. My first few years in the league, different head coaches, different coordinators, different assistant coaches. It was a lot of good things from a lot of them.

I wouldn’t say I was overly influenced by one person or another person. There were some people I would say I was influenced to the point of: ‘If I ever coached that position or if I’m ever in charge of this, I’m never going to do it that way.’ There’s some of that, too. There are also plenty of things that I did learn.

It was a little bit like that at Navy. There were different coaches that went through there. Coach [Wayne] Hardin, Coach [Lee] Corso, even after I’d grown up and left there, like Coach [Nick] Saban and people like that that were there, Coach [Paul] Johnson when he came in and ran all the option stuff. Just being around those people and all, you learn different things, different ways of doing it, different ideas. I was probably influenced a little bit by everybody.

I couldn’t really – besides my dad, that was a constant – but there were so many other coaches involved that I had the opportunity to observe or spend time with or be in meetings or on the field with and that kind of thing, football camps. My dad ran a football camp every summer, so there were another dozen coaches there, some of whom were Navy but plenty of other ones were from other colleges and other associations that he had. I’ve worked with and observed a lot of coaches. I don’t know. It’s kind of a menagerie.

CPJ and Belichick have always had a good relationship going back to the '90s when CPJ was the OC there. Belechick has often picked CPJ's brain about the option game and how to defend it, and blocking schemes in the run game.
The guy who wrote and may still write the Navy blog told the story of when Belichick's dad was an assistant coach at Navy, or maybe a volunteer coach, and his son came in after the season, got Navy film, and locked himself in the film room. Much time went by and Johnson supposedly asked his father what in the world Belichick was doing in there. 'He is trying to figure out a way to beat your offense," he said.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The guy who wrote and may still write the Navy blog told the story of when Belichick's dad was an assistant coach at Navy, or maybe a volunteer coach, and his son came in after the season, got Navy film, and locked himself in the film room. Much time went by and Johnson supposedly asked his father what in the world Belichick was doing in there. 'He is trying to figure out a way to beat your offense," he said.

Some more good stuff on the CPJ and Belichick relationship:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/07/sports/football/belichick-inquiring-mastermind-wants-to-know.html

And this:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

60% chance against VT

50% chance against UGA