More love from Herbie

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
More love from Herbie tonight on the College Football Playoff show. It's airing now on ESPNU and it's during the last segment.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
The segment hasn't aired yet, but I'm guessing he's predicting GT over da U as his upset pick for the weekend.

MountPGT1990

Banned
They picked us to upset Miami. Said we are a good football team and that we should be undefeated and in no way should have lost to Tennessee. AND THEY DEFENDED CUT BLOCKING HOLY LOOK OUT

Gotchya, thanks. The last time all the ESPN talking heads jumped on the GT bandwagon we decided to take a dump in our drawers and lay an egg in South Bend, here's hoping we live up to the hype this time (worries me because when GT gets some love we usually don't respond well at all)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The guy who wrote and may still write the Navy blog told the story of when Belichick's dad was an assistant coach at Navy, or maybe a volunteer coach, and his son came in after the season, got Navy film, and locked himself in the film room. Much time went by and Johnson supposedly asked his father what in the world Belichick was doing in there. 'He is trying to figure out a way to beat your offense," he said.

Belichick is five years older than Johnson. His dad was a coach at Navy, but only until 1989. Johnson didn't get there until 1995.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Belichick is five years older than Johnson. His dad was a coach at Navy, but only until 1989. Johnson didn't get there until 1995.

Yeah but bill would visit paul to study film. His story is true. But bills dad wasnt there. Bill visited paul to learn and spent hours in the film room. The discussion was between paul and his assistants not bills dad.

This is a totally true story. Bellichik told paul i tried to figure it out for hours.

Jmonty71

Banned
IMO I think we have about 75% chance of beating Duke, WF, and Virginia.

60% chance against Miami (they play FSU before us and we have a bye)

60% chance against VT

25% chance against Clemson

50% chance against UGA

I would normally say 50/50 against Miami and VT but our D is playing at a level I haven't seen. Of course they need to continue playing at this level, and we will also need our OL healthy for this to happen.
On the flip side... Our D hasn't exactly played a high powered offense either. However; over the last few years... Our D seemed to make inept offenses look decent. We have played some inept offenses and the D made them look that way. So, it is a plus. I would caution anyone to think we can continue to keep teams under 20, the rest of the season. I think that is an expectation that is a bit too high. However; keeping Thug U under 30, is totally attainable. If the O rolls and DOES NOT TURN THE DAMNED BALL OVER!!!, we will rack up 40 points on them. I think this game comes down to how well, we maintain the ball and don't turn it over.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With respect, we only gained 267 on the ground against them last year and I am not certain our O line is that much better this year to score 40 plus. TheirD is back intact iirc, so I expect we will HAVE to hit our passes to move the ball and Taquon has not been consistent in that phase if his game. Our D will have to play well for us to win. This looks like a 28-24 game to me.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With respect, we only gained 267 on the ground against them last year and I am not certain our O line is that much better this year to score 40 plus. TheirD is back intact iirc, so I expect we will HAVE to hit our passes to move the ball and Taquon has not been consistent in that phase if his game. Our D will have to play well for us to win. This looks like a 28-24 game to me.
Our OL is way better than last year IMO. Devine has looked better more consistently, brain, lee and cooper are all in their second year as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"Only"? What we are seeing is inflated expectations. We aren't gonna get 350 every game against all comers. The guys across the line are there on scholarship, too.

MountPGT1990

Banned
What are you always so skeptical? We are going to roll them if we win the turnover battle

Why so skeptical, seriously? Maybe because the four previous times CPJ has taken our Jackets down to Miami they have been boat raced out of the stadium. Miami is CPJ's nemesis and we usually crap the bed against them, we have a trend of losing by 14+ points every trip to Miami since 2009. There are many reasons to be Skeptical.
Until we actually break through and beat the Canes under CPJ at their place I will remain skeptical, but I am hopeful and we are due

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yesterday on Mark Packer's show on Sirius, he and the HBC (he's on every Wednesday from 5-6) both said that if Miami sleeps on us we'll roll them. Then Spurrier said (paraphrasing a little), "I don't think there's a coach in the country, except maybe Patterson at TCU, that gets more out of his players than CPJ."

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday on Mark Packer's show on Sirius, he and the HBC (he's on every Wednesday from 5-6) both said that if Miami sleeps on us we'll roll them. Then Spurrier said (paraphrasing a little), "I don't think there's a coach in the country, except maybe Patterson at TCU, that gets more out of his players than CPJ."

Spurrier has complimented CPJ before. A few weeks ago he listed his top coaches: Saban, Swinney, Meyer, and Fisher because they are the ones who have one championships. Then he said that his personal favorites were ones who are active in coaching instead of acting as a CEO. He listed Patterson, Mason, and a couple of others. He then said that CPJ is the OC, that he gets more out of his players than anyone else, and that he does a good job of developing young men instead of just football players.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What are you always so skeptical? We are going to roll them if we win the turnover battle
I am not sure how you leaped over that chasm. What I am challenging are the sometimes odd and often wildly extravagant expectations of fans, particularly on football message boards. who seem determined to be disappointed if a magic 400 number isn't met. The goal still is to win, and sometimes doggone it you take what you can get and gut it out. Against Miami, 267 yards rushing with no turnovers could be enough. Mix in a few throws and maybe the scoreboard is our's. They call the national leaders in passing and rushing "average per game," you know. With the accent on "average".