$MONEY DOWN$

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Mr. Boger2337

You've agreed that MONEY DOWN won't help the team. Great, we've established a point we can agree on. Done. Useless for the team, check.
For the fans. Let me see if I follow your 'logic'. Here are your assertions in the above thread (my comments are after the "--"):

1) We need fans to cheer. -- I agree
2) > 45-year-old men don't cheer. -- I disagree, but I can see that you are probably a bigot on this issue so I'll just pity you. I'm >45 and trust me I embarrass my friends and family I cheer so much.
3) < 45-year-olds and non-men cheer a lot -- See above. More stereotyping. A blatant falsehood. BS.
4) > 45-year-old men are the ones complaining about "MONEY DOWN" -- I'm sure there are some, but I know plenty of < 45-year-olds of all genders who think it is stupid so I've got to go with 'false." But this is where it gets so damn funny.
5) We need MONEY DOWN to motivate said 45+-year-old men to cheer. -- LOL

So, by your logic, it is the 45+-year-old men who need to be motivated to cheer (since everyone else already does so.) And that the 45+-year-old men are the ones who don't like MONEY DOWN. So, why on gods-green-earth would you try to use "MONEY DOWN" to motivate them to cheer? Huh? Did you get into Tech on a non-academic scholarship maybe?
I'm saying they introduced money down to add pure excitement to the stands. To the program. We need the crowd to be a energetic.

I also stated that money down may be used to explain to our students that this is a time to be loud, as most have probably not played a sport or if they did it was unlikely football, baseball or basketball. If you polled the GT campus how many yards you need to gain a first down id be willing to bet less than 25% would get that correct. That is a problem.

They are trying to turn GT into a football school. Which is what we need. We need the party atmosphere. Loud energetic fans who are passionate about the game.

I am going of PURE experience. I sit in 101. 102 is FILLED with elderly men (65+) who just stare and act like I am a fool for cheering on my team and asking other to stand up and yell. Not just on 3rd down, but THE ENTIRE GAME WHEN WE ARE ON DEFENSE. Otherwise why show up? Much easier to watch from home. Do they like the crap food?

Any game I go to I expect to be A PART of the game. I will make my voice heard to the other team and to encourage surrounding fans to scream their a$$es off. If you leave the game and don't have a headache, sore throat, and sore hands you did not do your part.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm saying they introduced money down to add pure excitement to the stands. To the program. We need the crowd to be a energetic.

I also stated that money down may be used to explain to our students that this is a time to be loud, as most have probably not played a sport or if they did it was unlikely football, baseball or basketball. If you polled the GT campus how many yards you need to gain a first down id be willing to bet less than 25% would get that correct. That is a problem.

They are trying to turn GT into a football school. Which is what we need. We need the party atmosphere. Loud energetic fans who are passionate about the game.

I am going of PURE experience. I sit in 101. 102 is FILLED with elderly men (65+) who just stare and act like I am a fool for cheering on my team and asking other to stand up and yell. Not just on 3rd down, but THE ENTIRE GAME WHEN WE ARE ON DEFENSE. Otherwise why show up? Much easier to watch from home. Do they like the crap food?

Any game I go to I expect to be A PART of the game. I will make my voice heard to the other team and to encourage surrounding fans to scream their a$$es off. If you leave the game and don't have a headache, sore throat, and sore hands you did not do your part.
I guess you'll understand it better when you're an "elderly man". 🙄 Be thankful they are buying season tickets and supporting the program. We kind of, like, need the money. If only a successful money down could get more money to the GTAA.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think “money down” is a lame gimmick (that is a bit embarrassing when new or neutral fans come to Tech games). I don’t think it makes us play worse, but I also don’t think it makes our fans cheer any louder than the previous “it’s third down” announcement (in fact, it just makes me roll my eyes and groan before cheering). It makes us look silly when the fans don’t respond and particularly when we also fail to make a stop.

Not a big deal and I am not going to lose any sleep over it, but I would be happy if we dumped it. Just my “two cents” from an under 45 fan (does that count as a money down pun? lol).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind the team using money down as a “motivational” thing, and I love the fact that they are tying it to CHOA. But I can agree that the PA guy saying it on every 3rd down is cringey and pretty embarrassing. If he just went back to the original “It’s thirrrrddd dowwnnn” and they flashed “Money Down” graphics on the big screen and ribbon boards that would be more than fine with me. Giving the students fake money to throw is also fine. It’s just the PA guy announcing it every time that seems lame to me. I feel like it actually gives it a more stereotypical “nerdy Tech” vibe than anything else.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd hoped Swilling would be that guy but, as time goes on, I'm wondering if his ranking as a recruit was a bit inflated. I don't have the expertise to figure why he hasn't been impactful other than special teams.

The move to RB is odd considering we have at least 3 dudes there that appear to be far better.

My brother and I were talking about this during the game. His move made no sense whatsoever. Move from a group that is not deep at all to the deepest position group on the team.

I’m pretty sure he caused the fumble on the kickoff last Friday. I wonder if he’s getting any reps at LB still. I know he was disappointing based on expectations, but he should know the system and has more speed than Curry. You’d have to think he could help there. Almost no chance for him to help at RB and less of a chance for him to play there at the next level.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I would rather incorporatr the steam whistle. It’s used, Or used to be,for first downs and would love to see it used with making 3rd dorms loud.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm being blunt and truthful we suck on third down and need to improve. I wanna see us win every game it's just frustrating seeing us do stupid things that we shouldn't over and over.

Did you think about the possibility that we might even be worse on third down if we didn't focus on it?

It seems that I need to post every day that we are still a couple of recruiting classes away from where we need to be. There are few positions on D where we are both talented and experienced--and there is no substitute for experience on that side of the ball. Jackson, Thomas...it's a pretty short list after that.

GT_EE78

Banned
I would rather incorporatr the steam whistle. It’s used, Or used to be,for first downs and would love to see it used with making 3rd dorms loud.
I agree. Those who stay in the dorms should be disturbed by the loudness of the game and steam whistle.Quite an improvement.