$MONEY DOWN$

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not saying that they don't coach them to try and get better, but still doesn't seem like we're getting better

Which has nothing to do with whatever the "money down" thing is.

Our 3rd down conversion rate is just like anything/everything else right now ... work in process. And there's no switch that can be flipped to instantly improve it.

I think we all agree we need to get better. Where we differ is in identifying the gimmick as part of the problem. They're two separate things.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There’s all kinds of posts in people’s draft folder just waiting for Saturday to tell us all. Isn’t it amazing that even when we win a ****ing game some people can’t say something nice?!
This opportunity gives real GT fans an easy way to figure out who to block

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Clearly, the gimmick isn't the problem. But it's kinda like that NFL dude yesterday bragging about his stats after a loss. Makes you look pretty stupid.

I mean, if it takes a gimmick to get to our 3rd down conversion rate then good-god-help-us what we'd be without it!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the problem for me (and this is only my opinion) is that we are accentuating a negative aspect of the program (our inability to stop anyone most of the time on third down) instead of highlighting a positive. I think the whole aura of Coach Collins form of branding for the program is to constantly focus on the positives of our program, the great education, being located in Atlanta, the rich tradition of GT football, etc. In the case of the money down gambit, he is actually bringing attention to one of the greatest shortcomings of our team. I would recommend that we establish a much better level of performance on third down and then use it as a motivational tool for the team and the fans. In other words, as Joe Namath once said, "if you can do it, then it ain't bragging". Right now it is just not a good look and is most likely having a negative impact on fund raising for the charity.

Go Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

3rd down defense is definitely one of those things we need to work on. But I don't think we need to harp on one particular stat at the expense of ignoring all the rest. In terms of defensive points allowed and defensive yards allowed in ACC play, we're in about 6th. That's not bad. That 3rd down stat is kind of like the turnovers stat for offense - it feels like its the one big thing they need to focus on.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’ve got 7 games left, plus maybe a bowl game. 4 games are definitely winnable, not guaranteed wins, but we can win. Not sure how solid ND is, maybe just maybe on that one. Da U depends on whether or not they’re imploding from Saturday’s whipping plus hopefully 1 or 2 extra losses before they get to us.

Not expecting any improvements on 3rd down D this week, but we should fare better against BC. We also got Pitt, Dook and Woofcrack to show progress against. By the end of the season we should be able to say to ourselves the D is on the right track.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So, if I may, what are you guys going to complain about when our defense does have a favorable statistic when it comes to getting off the field on 3rd down and we still call it Money Down?

Agreed that Curry isn't an all world linebacker, but it is telling that statistically he is one of our best ones. He wouldn't start or play the number of snaps that he does if he wasn't one. He is a leader on and off the field. A leader/captain of a team isn't always the best athlete, but one of the most committed and hardest working players.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, if I may, what are you guys going to complain about when our defense does have a favorable statistic when it comes to getting off the field on 3rd down and we still call it Money Down?

Agreed that Curry isn't an all world linebacker, but it is telling that statistically he is one of our best ones. He wouldn't start or play the number of snaps that he does if he wasn't one. He is a leader on and off the field. A leader/captain of a team isn't always the best athlete, but one of the most committed and hardest working players.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm at on Curry. I'm done worrying about his shortcomings. It is what they are(huh?). There's probably a lot of value in his ability to direct guys, diagnose plays, lead, etc. My hope is that we find a guy with high-level tools athletically that can also do the cerebral stuff.

I'd hoped Swilling would be that guy but, as time goes on, I'm wondering if his ranking as a recruit was a bit inflated. I don't have the expertise to figure why he hasn't been impactful other than special teams.

The move to RB is odd considering we have at least 3 dudes there that appear to be far better.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
There is nothing anyone would complain about, unless they are sensitive to loud noises. In which case, they should stay home and watch on TV. 😉

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Which has nothing to do with whatever the "money down" thing is.

Our 3rd down conversion rate is just like anything/everything else right now ... work in process. And there's no switch that can be flipped to instantly improve it.

I think we all agree we need to get better. Where we differ is in identifying the gimmick as part of the problem. They're two separate things.
It was made to emphasize that third downs are the most important for a defense, but we let up third and 12 or longer like it's nothing and I haven't seen us blitz at all on third it feels like. So I'm asking can we show some improvement doesn't have to be instant, but some blitzes to get them to hurry up the play and get him uncomfortable would be nice.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It was made to emphasize that third downs are the most important for a defense, but we let up third and 12 or longer like it's nothing and I haven't seen us blitz at all on third it feels like. So I'm asking can we show some improvement doesn't have to be instant, but some blitzes to get them to hurry up the play and get him uncomfortable would be nice.

GIFs-2020101222437.gif

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think that's where I'm at on Curry. I'm done worrying about his shortcomings. It is what they are(huh?). There's probably a lot of value in his ability to direct guys, diagnose plays, lead, etc. My hope is that we find a guy with high-level tools athletically that can also do the cerebral stuff.

I'd hoped Swilling would be that guy but, as time goes on, I'm wondering if his ranking as a recruit was a bit inflated. I don't have the expertise to figure why he hasn't been impactful other than special teams.

The move to RB is odd considering we have at least 3 dudes there that appear to be far better.
Maybe try “they are what they are” ....? Lol

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why the "moneydown" has to help the team?
Why cannot someone call 3rd down or 4th down whatever they want?
I have called it the "money play" for over a decade. Personally the slogan isn't meant for grumpy old men. It was meant to get the students involved and the players a little hype. Just to crank up the volume.

It was never expected to truly help the team. If anything it is an explanation to the student section that this down is important as most of the students hardly know what a football is, let alone when to cheer. I'd say over 50% of our students have never picked up a football. I'd say 40% have never watched a full game. I would say 80% wouldn't know what penalties there are and some in-depth rules.

This "gimmick" is to just liven up a rather dead boring fanbase that is made up of mostly 45 and up men. They want the 18-30 year olds spending money and showing up half drunk to games. They want the uga/clemson/florida state/florida atmosphere. Which would be a breath of fresh air.

I always get looked at when I am clapping and screaming when we are on defense. I don't wait for 3rd down. We have to make noise the ENTIRE game on defense. I get stares, I get snarls, and odd looks. I look at them and think why show up to the game if you're not here to help your team out. The entire point of a fan to show up to a game is to do everything they can to make the other team have a difficult time playing their game. Hopefully one day we can be as loud as Beamerville, Death Valley, or Penn state. Until then expect "gimmicks" because the majority of our fanbase sits, watches the game with headphones on and never says a word.

This team needs some SERIOUS juice. Everyone screaming till they lose their voice.

I have had my throat bleed and hands sore from last years home games. I will always give my all on cheering. It is key to the atmosphere, and the kids love it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Mr. Boger2337

You've agreed that MONEY DOWN won't help the team. Great, we've established a point we can agree on. Done. Useless for the team, check.
For the fans. Let me see if I follow your 'logic'. Here are your assertions in the above thread (my comments are after the "--"):

1) We need fans to cheer. -- I agree
2) > 45-year-old men don't cheer. -- I disagree, but I can see that you are probably a bigot on this issue so I'll just pity you. I'm >45 and trust me I embarrass my friends and family I cheer so much.
3) < 45-year-olds and non-men cheer a lot -- See above. More stereotyping. A blatant falsehood. BS.
4) > 45-year-old men are the ones complaining about "MONEY DOWN" -- I'm sure there are some, but I know plenty of < 45-year-olds of all genders who think it is stupid so I've got to go with 'false." But this is where it gets so damn funny.
5) We need MONEY DOWN to motivate said 45+-year-old men to cheer. -- LOL

So, by your logic, it is the 45+-year-old men who need to be motivated to cheer (since everyone else already does so.) And that the 45+-year-old men are the ones who don't like MONEY DOWN. So, why on gods-green-earth would you try to use "MONEY DOWN" to motivate them to cheer? Huh? Did you get into Tech on a non-academic scholarship maybe?