Monday practice notes

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
You can't bench a guy who just ran for over 400 yards in 3 games. You'd have to be a moron.
The only exception is someone like Gurley who is backed up by Chubb. With all due respect, Laskey isn't a Gurley type player.

Its the principal of the thing. You don't lose your job while you are on vacation to the guy who subs for you and you don't lose your position on the depth chart when you are injured. Now, if Laskey gets the first series and Days goes in for the 2nd, ok but Laskey is the starter. That just isn't done.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Its the principal of the thing. You don't lose your job while you are on vacation to the guy who subs for you and you don't lose your position on the depth chart when you are injured. Now, if Laskey gets the first series and Days goes in for the 2nd, ok but Laskey is the starter. That just isn't done.
You are talking corporate America not football!! In football you play the best of those who show up at practice. The Bear, I understand, would allow anyone, who thought they should be starting, to challenge the starter in a one on one contest he dreamed up. For linemen that is easy test. Not sure how he set up backs.

Years ago I was a t AMA management seminar and they presented that method to dismiss an employee who was not cutting it. I was shocked because it was not the way our company managed.

slugboy

Staff member
If that were true, Cal Ripken would have stayed a backup. The starting lineup is going to be what the coaches think the best starting lineup is, and that's just whatever combination they think works best--usually, but not necessarily, the best at every position.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow

Lewis kept Luginbill at QB when Donnie Davis returned from injury causing internal dissention in the team and ultimately leading to Lewis's dismissal. However, I believe there was more (probably much more) to the story than that and I really don't expect anything of the like to happen with Days and Laskey.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If that were true, Cal Ripken would have stayed a backup. The starting lineup is going to be what the coaches think the best starting lineup is, and that's just whatever combination they think works best--usually, but not necessarily, the best at every position.
Forget Cal Ripken, Lou Gehrig was discovered when the guy he was backing up got hurt.

slugboy

Staff member
I can't imagine this is not the case. A shoulder injury at that position is tough to come back from.
In just about every position, you're putting a lot of stress on your shoulder blocking, tackling, getting off blocks, and just playing the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One huge advantage of playing Zach is it allows us to play Days at Aback. We have a play where the Aback comes in motion and lead blocks up the middle with the Bback and qb follows. Imagine JT following Zach, Synjyn and Mason.

I think CPJ is doing the exact right thing. He's starting Days but rotating in Zach. Whomever is playing the best stays in.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I wonder if CPJ maximizes all of his talent on offense..to me it's night and day between Laskey and Days same with Vad and Justin...but im probably over speculating
We do not have the benefit of watching players in practice! I guarantee you he plays the ones that give Tech the best chance to win.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm pretty certain Laskey would have had big games the last three weeks if healthy. I don't think he is as bull strong and think Days is better battling in short yardage. Laskey is a bit faster. Both are legit and will get their share of snaps. If there is a criticism to be had here that is legit is the point that Days probably deserved more snaps at bback earlier. That being said....he has been pretty good for us at aback also. Maybe splitting him the way we did early wasn't the best? I dunno. So it's a catch 22 IMO and many of us are probably over analyzing this thing. I'm just glad we are at the point on O that we are reloading guys into the system and not missing a beat. Is looking to be true year to year now and true mid season regarding injuries.