Mills

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like Mills is a great recruit, but let's not get carried away too much. August 2015 CPJ: "I'm excited about our Bbacks that we have there. I think that Marcus Marshall and MLD, they both look really good. " Remember that MM did not beat out Skov in camp, also. We have some good talent, but the bar is not real high at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
CPJ's comments in the media are day and night different this year from last. Last year he kept saying we're not very good even after two blowout wins early. His tone is completely different now. It all started with how the kids came into camp in-shape and then continued with the high levels of focus and effort in practices. One comment you may find in common does not match the dozens of comparing comments that are in contrast.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
He was pretty happy with the B back situation all through 2015 camp. In general he was indeed less than pleased. But we are talking about B backs here, and Mills in particular. I'm just saying, tap the breaks, we have a true frosh here.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like Mills is a great recruit, but let's not get carried away too much. August 2015 CPJ: "I'm excited about our Bbacks that we have there. I think that Marcus Marshall and MLD, they both look really good. " Remember that MM did not beat out Skov in camp, also. We have some good talent, but the bar is not real high at the moment.

Good points. I recall CPJ saying that Marshall could do some things that would remind folks of Jon Dwyer. And I think we did see that in the Pitt game. There was a lot of preseason hype about Skov too and I believe he said he's not the second coming of AP. I don't think CPJ uses the media to motivate his players is all I'm trying to say. He just tells it like it is. He says Mills is a good player that does things you can't coach and he will play. That's something you don't hear very often from CPJ. Good reason to be excited about Mills IMO.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Compare what I said above to what he just said about Jalen Camp. "He's got a chance to play". I think the last time I heard him say of a freshman "he's going to play" was PJ Davis. I take that back. He probably said that about AJ Gray last year. I'm getting old. We talk a lot about 1-8 players on this board. I think this puts Mills squarely in the 1-8 group.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer's special ability was to enter sprinting form when he had a crease. He was fast, but not the fastest. He was powerful and balanced, but not the most of either of those. What he would tend to do would be run lower to the ground with a shorter stride and more stable base. When he saw the crease, he lengthened his stride and it gave himself a little burst. I think why that was so effective wasn't really speed so much as change of speed. People with enough speed would have what seemed to be good pursuit angles and all of a sudden be a step behind.

I think MM gives more of the open field ability and Mills has more of the ability in the hole. But this is on very limited data.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Compare what I said above to what he just said about Jalen Camp. "He's got a chance to play". I think the last time I heard him say of a freshman "he's going to play" was PJ Davis. I take that back. He probably said that about AJ Gray last year. I'm getting old. We talk a lot about 1-8 players on this board. I think this puts Mills squarely in the 1-8 group.

Bradass Stewart too.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dwyer's special ability was to enter sprinting form when he had a crease. He was fast, but not the fastest. He was powerful and balanced, but not the most of either of those. What he would tend to do would be run lower to the ground with a shorter stride and more stable base. When he saw the crease, he lengthened his stride and it gave himself a little burst. I think why that was so effective wasn't really speed so much as change of speed. People with enough speed would have what seemed to be good pursuit angles and all of a sudden be a step behind.

I think MM gives more of the open field ability and Mills has more of the ability in the hole. But this is on very limited data.
Great description of Dwyer. I think they call it "burst". He had it. I also think Dwyer was one of those guys who was just as fast with pads on carrying a football as he was on the track. Just my opinion. Most people aren't. In other words, even though he was a 4.5-4.6 type of guy in timed runs, he was just as fast on the field as the guys who were .1 sec quicker with shorts on.

Milwaukee

Banned
CPJ is pushing Mills in the comment section to keep MM motivated. Nothing to see here folks, hasn't been for months.

Mills will be a beast, but MM is the feature.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is pushing Mills in the comment section to keep MM motivated. Nothing to see here folks, hasn't been for months.

Mills will be a beast, but MM is the feature.
This is just your opinion or you actually have inside info/facts? Have you watched any practices from this camp? Like flea said cpj speaks his mind, he's not a coach that goes around blowing smoke. When's the last time he has praised someone this much to get someone else motivated? I don't think I have ever seen or heard him do that, so why start now?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we have to choose between Marshall or Mills. A lot of the best teams play with two good running backs in certain years. (i.e. Alabama, Georgia, FSU, Clemson, etc.) We were great in 2014 when we had two good BB's. I would love if they are both good enough to get 15-20 carries a piece per game and end up having over 1000 yards a piece.

MountPGT1990

Banned
I don't think we have to choose between Marshall or Mills. A lot of the best teams play with two good running backs in certain years. (i.e. Alabama, Georgia, FSU, Clemson, etc.) We were great in 2014 when we had two good BB's. I would love if they are both good enough to get 15-20 carries a piece per game and end up having over 1000 yards a piece.

MM took a handoff on 3rd and five today and blew by everyone including the secondary for a long TD run.
I think we are in really solid shape this year at BBack with the M&M's

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ok both guys are young so I'm not predicting anything except good solid play from BB this year. But moving forward, the possibility of having 2 backs better than the mutts', Tigers', or noles' starters....well that would certainly be nice.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
What's good is Mills will raise the all-around skills at the position, and help make MM better rounded. In our offense the devil is in the details. Gotta block, catch it, get presnap read right, hit the hole with reckless abandon, and hold onto the ball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am getting WAYYY to excited! Someone please stop me. :nailbiting:
Not me. Go for it.
I already there and it feels good.
I am excited we seem have depth at several positions and each brings a clearly different skill set.

At bb mills is more powerful . mm is breakaway, with rest a combination. At ab we finally have some very fast players. At wr we have some tall and some good blockers .

Plenty of different tools for coach to dial up some dc headaches.