Mike sewak

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I will say that maybe the only bright spot from VT, and I had to think hard to come up with one, was seeing Allen bounce off tackle at the front of the TO or dive. Haven't seen that since '14.
Yep. He was the first BB this year to run with authority; he averaged 4.7 ypc and his longest run was 9 yards. Then he hurt his ankle again after an 8 yard run. That slowed him down to the mesh and caused problems. Still, despite his mistakes (fumbling on the 20 lost the game for us probably), I thought he played well for a first start and that he'll probably start for the rest of the season if he can get healthy. That's the story of the year, of course.

Looks like Allen is one of those players who isn't all that hot in practice, but does well in games. Coaches hate that, but it is the way for some of players.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I gathered from his post-game comments he had made adjustments, but that for whatever reason nobody touched the middle linebacker all night. Probably not an exaggeration, either. I don't know what that might be though just guessing it requires a guard or tackle -- most plays -- with some speed and quickness to seal him off. I'd really like to hear from the real football folks on the board about the preferred method to get that done. It has worked in the past (VT, it seems to me, was the first to do this seasons ago) so it should work now. Anybody?
I'm hoping for a deeper, off-season blocking scheme change more than the in game adjustment. Like you, I am not a football czar so no idea what such a change would look like. I'm pretty sure the plays and formations CPJ runs today have evolved from the first season he started running this offense. I hope he can evolve them to counter this.

You could also argue that better OL is what is needed and that might be another solution. But, how often will we have OL the caliber of Shaq?

It was the Gods. You need them to win 11 games and they came through. Maybe we should sacrifice more sacred chickens next year.

Seriously, I don't think our OL problems this year have been due to the OL. We don't have a consistent BB and the Ds are blitzing freely as a consequence. All you have to do is look at the way the opposing MLBs are moving to the edge with the snap to see it. I doubt this will be a problem next year. Or, to be more exact, I sure do hope it won't be.
Could have lost to Southern, to Va Tech, and to Georgia. Had chances to win against Duke, and against UNC and against FSU. Got gifts of turnovers from Pitt and Clemson, and really from Tulane. Got a lucky break with Watson going down for Clemson, too. Got two fumbles inside the 3 yard line in Athens. All in all a pretty normal season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Playing the middle linebacker back 7 or so yards as been a staple of teams playing against the triple option since Jimmie Johnson pioneered the concept at Miami against Oklahoma in a Orange bowl match up way back in the late 70s or 80s. It works great when you have an agile monster middle linebacker who can go sideline to sideline or when the opposing offensive line is putrid (such as is the case with Tech right now) Personally, I think what Foster and the Irish did is more effective by bringing a safety up to shoot the gap and constantly changing the formations. We have no answer to this because the line cannot pass protect for even two seconds. Hit an Aback down the seam or a wide receiver on a post a few times and that nonsense would stop but we can't do it. It is what it is.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Are defenses playing us differently this year? I don't recall seeing the middle linebacker playing so deep in previous seasons
Yes they are.......they are shadowing the qb and go to the side he make the option....course this is not the first time we have seen this.......Texas in late sixties used the bone and ND of all folks shut them down by shadowing the qb......it worked for them.