Mike sewak

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the lack of execution and dangerous WRs has really allowed the defenses to stunt and confuse our blocking.

Van Gorder made the gamble and everyone else who copied it did it with success. Instead of working on plays, I bet we've had to spend a lot more time educating the OL on how to handle the stunts.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
PJ and Mike are joined at the hip.....folks forget that he caoched the line at GSU and has been with PJ just about everywhere.I have no choice but to figure out that we either did a great job last year and a bad job this year with the OL or ..........the football gods were on our side all season long.
It was the Gods. You need them to win 11 games and they came through. Maybe we should sacrifice more sacred chickens next year.

Seriously, I don't think our OL problems this year have been due to the OL. We don't have a consistent BB and the Ds are blitzing freely as a consequence. All you have to do is look at the way the opposing MLBs are moving to the edge with the snap to see it. I doubt this will be a problem next year. Or, to be more exact, I sure do hope it won't be.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Laskey/Days was much better than what is back there today in terms of running/blocking. I'm not sure you can pin everything on the O line. It takes 11 guys doing what they are supposed to do to be successful. Most of the time that happened but when it didn't rarely did we take a loss when the BB had the ball. JMHO that too many are quick to criticize the O line when other positions have performed so poorly.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe we just need some fresh faces in there. I would love to hear the perspective from some of the OL, but I doubt if we will ever get that. Maybe Will Bryan's father can elaborate in this thread. If they think that they're just not being well-coached, then we know there are changes to be made. Let's put it this way, I don't think CPJ would bring in a ST coach to help with the OL if he had total faith in Sewak.

Players' analysis of performance issues is very biased.and thus useless.
Ask the sophomore calculus student at Tech why he is failing (back in the day when people failed stuff like that at Tech) and he or she has 3 choices...1) I am stupid 2) I don't work and study hard enough or 3) my prof is really bad and I am getting the shaft. Guess which one little Billy or little Twyshanda will pick as the reason for his/her failing grade in most instances?

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Let's put it this way, I don't think CPJ would bring in a ST coach to help with the OL if he had total faith in Sewak.
CPJ has had 2 OL coaches almost the full time he's been here. I believe Spencer and Sewak were both only OL - no ST or other positions.

Don't get me wrong...the OL needs some serious help, staff changes or something.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Are defenses playing us differently this year? I don't recall seeing the middle linebacker playing so deep in previous seasons

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
clay hendrix the OL coach at Air Force play HS ball at commerce........he might want to get closer to home
Clay would be a great addition to the GT staff. He was a college teammate of mine at Furman and a first class guy. He is younger than Sewak and I think he would relate better with the players. Best of all, he coaches with a positive attitude!

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Spencer had the OT and Sewak had the C & OG. Since Spencer left, Seeak has been in charge of the whole line. I wonder if OT coaching isn't Sewak's forte or if he simply doesn't have the time to get into the weeds on how to play the positions because he has responsibility for the whole line. My understanding is that Rychleski helps on the m, but that Sewak is still in charge of it. I wonder if it would be better to go back to a split OL coaching responsibility set up and have Rychleski be given responsibility for the OT and Sewak the OG and C. Rychleski would keep the special teams coordinator role, but divide responsibilities among the coaching staff (e.g., someone does kickoffs and someone else does punts).
I don't know what the different coaches do well so it's impossible for me to say how the OL and special teams coaching should be divvied up.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
The OL really hasn't been good for a while...imo something is fundamentally wrong. When I watch other Triple teams, they seem to be able to block and hold a pocket.

We continually turn guys lose and then every single presser is about blown assignments. Most of us who work for corporations would have been fired long ago if did our jobs to the ability of Sewak.

I'm sorry but its past time to get this fixed.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Are defenses playing us differently this year? I don't recall seeing the middle linebacker playing so deep in previous seasons
Middle LB's have been playing 6-7 back against for a while now...more than just this year. I don't recall who started that trend against us but it really works.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Cpj has said many times the line wasnt that good last year with the exception of shaq. He said the skilled position guys made a lot of things happen last year to produce what our offense was.
I will say that maybe the only bright spot from VT, and I had to think hard to come up with one, was seeing Allen bounce off tackle at the front of the TO or dive. Haven't seen that since '14.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That is something I hope CPJ makes adjustments in his play designs.
I gathered from his post-game comments he had made adjustments, but that for whatever reason nobody touched the middle linebacker all night. Probably not an exaggeration, either. I don't know what that might be though just guessing it requires a guard or tackle -- most plays -- with some speed and quickness to seal him off. I'd really like to hear from the real football folks on the board about the preferred method to get that done. It has worked in the past (VT, it seems to me, was the first to do this seasons ago) so it should work now. Anybody?

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched on TV, and the announcers pointed out that BF moved the mike linebacker back several yards to keep him clean. It worked pretty well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
How about a new OC???

Dead-Horse.jpg

... at least until next year.