Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They say this guy is a good recruiter, and at this point that is what Tech needs. Sure Gregory was a good Xs and Os guy but that only goes so far, if you can't bring the players in it won't matter how good of a coach you are. Imo this is the type of coach we need, a young guy that can't sell the GT brand to the local talent and lock down ATL and make sure none of that local talent slips away. Just look at the beloved 04 team, they pretty much relied on talent alone to get to the title game. These day Most 4-5 star guys are probably 1 and dones anyway so there's not much opportunity to coach them up, just bring them in here and let them play.

The thing is asking Dayton fans about gregory when we got him, they would have said that gregory was a good recruiter but couldn't coach them up. gregroy did NOT have the reputation, at least from Dayton fans, of being a good Xs and Os coach, and his coaching base wasn't the SE. That was just a hire that made no sense whatsoever.

Pastner at least had proven to be able to attract the level of recruits we need, and has done so by recruiting the south east. I look at him as a slightly worse version of Capel. Pretty much guaranteed to be an improvement in recruiting. Both had issues at their previous stops, but not so much that I don't think they could have success somewhere else. The thing to keep in mind is that he had to follow Cal at memphis, and coaching ethics aside, Cal is a great coach. If you look at what Pastner did his first 4 years in the CUSA, same conference that memphis under Cal was in, it was pretty good. Not the level that Cal had built, but pretty close. Things started to go south with the move to the American.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the hire, but we would be set to improve talentwise, and there is hope that with a change of scenery and the experience of what went wrong at memphis he could have better success here. I think he's a slightly worse version of Capel in that regards. Basically Capel if we had gotten him directly from OU.

Still though, I'll believe it, or anything, when it's official.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
michael-scott-no.gif

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
OK let me give ya the scoop. Josh Pastner is the nicest, most giving human being most of us have ever been around. I'm dead serious. He doesn't cuss, smoke, use caffeine, drink, I mean nothing. He absolutely knows the academic side of things. He will graduate your kids and your program will be squeaky clean. He is an amazing game human being. That being said, he took over a dumpster fire at Memphis after Cal. He had good success early on with a no nonsense style approach with rich home grown talent. His major knock was x's & o's. We had good assistants (Luke Walton, Damon Stoudemire, and others). But it always seemed like he was out coached in big games. (5-26 vs top 25) He thrived on weak opponents early on with great talent but never got past 2nd of tourney. We loved him for his squeaky clean image and glad the program was recovering from 2008 DRose fiasco. But seemingly since we moved to the aac, we have missed the tourney and nit last 2 yrs. And have had a Mass exodus of transfers for all sorts of various reasons and it just became too much. The combination of 7+years of not developing McDonald's All Americans or watching big name after big name leave the program, the weary factor set in. (Nick king,Austin nichols,to name a few. ) local Memphis kids leaving the city and program. It is just time for a change. Also his apparent refusal to hire an assistant who specialized in x and o's was of utmost frustration.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Prepare to be back on probation. No way this clown has any idea how to deal with the academic side of things.

the academic side of things isn't hard to deal with. That won't be an issue regardless of who we get, unless we just are getting one and dones who stop going to class in the spring semeseter.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The guy was coaching in a crappy conference. Let's see what kind of players he can bring in that wants to play in the ACC!

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
What if the deal is, "Memphis, we will take him off your hands and get you out from under his awful buyout you would have to pay if you fired him. In exchange for this Memphis, you will pay all that we, GT, still owe to both Hewitt and Gregory." Also, what if we are only paying him 1.5 mil or so and the buyout in the new contract is very good for GT or there is no buyout for him? This would solve our financial problems and we could fire him for a better coach if need be in like two or three years.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
OK let me give ya the scoop. Josh Pastner is the nicest, most giving human being most of us have ever been around. I'm dead serious. He doesn't cuss, smoke, use caffeine, drink, I mean nothing. He absolutely knows the academic side of things. He will graduate your kids and your program will be squeaky clean. He is an amazing game human being. That being said, he took over a dumpster fire at Memphis after Cal. He had good success early on with a no nonsense style approach with rich home grown talent. His major knock was x's & o's. We had good assistants (Luke Walton, Damon Stoudemire, and others). But it always seemed like he was out coached in big games. (5-26 vs top 25) He thrived on weak opponents early on with great talent but never got past 2nd of tourney. We loved him for his squeaky clean image and glad the program was recovering from 2008 DRose fiasco. But seemingly since we moved to the aac, we have missed the tourney and nit last 2 hrs. And have had a Mass exodus of transfers for all sorts of various reasons and it just became too much. The combination of 7+years of not developing McDonald's Americans or watching big name after big name leave the program, the weary factor set in. (Nick king,Austin nichols,to name a few. ) local Memphis kids leaving the city and program. It is just time for a change.
Appreciate it

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I challenge y'all to actually look at the last 3-4 classes he's pulled in, how many are still there and what results he got from this great(sic) recruiting. Spoiler alert, you will be underwhelmed.

the academic side of things isn't hard to deal with. That won't be an issue regardless of who we get, unless we just are getting one and dones who stop going to class in the spring semeseter.

He'll have to prove he can do it at a place that actually puts academics before sports.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He'll have to prove he can do it at a place that actually puts academics before sports.

Prove he can do what? It's not like the coach is having to sit there and teach them calc. All the academic support is in place and has little to nothing to do with the coaching staff. The only role that the coach plays in the academics is convincing the athletes to go to class and do the work that is needed to remain eligible. And as long as players want to continue playing at the college level, either here or as gregory proved transferring out, that job is really easy. The only thing that would be a concern is getting players who are either just plain too stupid to make the grades, which if they get allowed in by admissions probably won't be an issue, and players who stop going to class spring semester in preparation for going pro. Considering how easy it is to maintain eligibility with the amount of academic support available to SA's and the minimum requirement to maintain eligibility, it's a non issue.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Look at all those ESPN Top 100 players, maybe he can convince Romello to stay and add one or two of those guys to our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
OK let me give ya the scoop. Josh Pastner is the nicest, most giving human being most of us have ever been around. I'm dead serious. He doesn't cuss, smoke, use caffeine, drink, I mean nothing. He absolutely knows the academic side of things. He will graduate your kids and your program will be squeaky clean. He is an amazing game human being. That being said, he took over a dumpster fire at Memphis after Cal. He had good success early on with a no nonsense style approach with rich home grown talent. His major knock was x's & o's. We had good assistants (Luke Walton, Damon Stoudemire, and others). But it always seemed like he was out coached in big games. (5-26 vs top 25) He thrived on weak opponents early on with great talent but never got past 2nd of tourney. We loved him for his squeaky clean image and glad the program was recovering from 2008 DRose fiasco. But seemingly since we moved to the aac, we have missed the tourney and nit last 2 yrs. And have had a Mass exodus of transfers for all sorts of various reasons and it just became too much. The combination of 7+years of not developing McDonald's All Americans or watching big name after big name leave the program, the weary factor set in. (Nick king,Austin nichols,to name a few. ) local Memphis kids leaving the city and program. It is just time for a change. Also his apparent refusal to hire an assistant who specialized in x and o's was of utmost frustration.

Glad we will be taking the **** show off your hands. So basically we are hiring a nice guy who can't coach and has lost control of his program and in turn you are relieved of your $10 million buyout. What a deal!

testy

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting take from Memphis boards on GT - "a coaching graveyard". May explain why we have the options (or lack of) that we have.

That is not a serious line.

There was a thread back about Memphis was a coaching graveyard, and someone is just bringing that up.