Miami Today 1pm ESPNU

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
that Newton three was ridiculous, but that is what happens to this program.
Another year or two and we'll be able to make a change.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Some woman started yelling at the people leaving, saying "we're only down 6 and there's 12 seconds left." I felt like turning around and yelling, "yeah.......we're down 6 and there's only 12 seconds left." Plus, it was Miami ball.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not meant to be.. Despairation 3 drops, Tad can't hit FT...

Same song, different verse... So close yet so far...

Watch Miami win by double digits due to FTs in the last minute of game ...

Going to post and pray that I have to eat Crow.

... Well missed it by 3 FTs...

Last 8 years or so gave been painful to be a GT BBall fan.

With that said, this year's team us better than last year's.

IF we had mid-caliber PG we'd at least be a bubble team as of today.

Jorg isn't enough of a threat to score and the other teams know it... Etc.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I will ask the provocative question:

So what do we need to do different at the end of the game?? Exactly what do we want this coach to do that's so obvious?

/

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
PG is a tired excuse. Not what lost us the game today - we couldn't defend the post or dribble drive to save our lives. That's what forced us to go to the zone, slow the game down, and leave ourselves vulnerable to the outside shot. Not saying Gregory's not to blame, because he is, but just saying Heath and Jorg are not the reason we lost today.

I will ask the provocative question:

So what do we need to do different at the end of the game?? Exactly what do we want this coach to do that's so obvious?

/
It's the end of the game where it all falls apart, but that falling apart seems to begin happening at the start of the second half. They never come back out after the break with the same intensity, focus, and results that they had in the first half, and that just can't possibly always be because the other team adjusts somehow. Even if the other team does adjust though, why don't we adjust also?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No true PG.

FT failure :( kills us AGAIN

Limited threats when Jorg or Q are in game... Jorg is afraid to shoot (with good reason)
Tad did better penetrating today, but choked up on the line and not a real threat from outside.

MGH and AS are covered like " insert appropriate example" at end of games because no one else can hit squat from outside the 3 PT line.

Could go on for at least 1000 characters, but have better things to do now that Super Bowl is over. Time get ready to be at work tomorrow around 7 AM so time to wrap it up.

PG is a tired excuse. Not what lost us the game today - we couldn't defend the post or dribble drive to save our lives. That's what forced us to go to the zone, slow the game down, and leave ourselves vulnerable to the outside shot. Not saying Gregory's not to blame, because he is, but just saying Heath and Jorg are not the reason we lost today.
PG in basketball is essentially the QB of the team. When opponents routinely have a superior edge at that position, wins will be hard to come by. Someone has to get the team in position to run half court sets. Jarret Jack and Will Bynum bailed out blewit soooo many times. They made him look like a good coach, you notice I didn't say great. Don't want to get carried away. A good PG can make a bad team mediocre and so on. Not having a decent PG is squarely on CBG. Austin Jackson was blewits big miss and seems the Poole brothers is going to be cbg.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
When you watch the rest of the season, from here on out,get yourself some BC,Advil,Codeine,etc, hell, better yet, I'll call Grady Hospital for you, and tell them I need 2 beds and 2 oxygen tanks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At one time yesterday, Miami was triple teaming MGH whenever he got the ball. On the floor with him were Smith, Q, Jorgy, and Lammers. That is coaching. Not our coach. Theirs.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
PG in basketball is essentially the QB of the team. When opponents routinely have a superior edge at that position, wins will be hard to come by. Someone has to get the team in position to run half court sets. Jarret Jack and Will Bynum bailed out blewit soooo many times. They made him look like a good coach, you notice I didn't say great. Don't want to get carried away. A good PG can make a bad team mediocre and so on. Not having a decent PG is squarely on CBG. Austin Jackson was blewits big miss and seems the Poole brothers is going to be cbg.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. But a lot of discussion on here has been about lack of offensive production from the PG spot. Angel Rodriguez had 5 fouls and 0 points today, and Miami still won the game. They won because they slashed to the basket, forced us to go to zone, and made big shots from outside. Not because of our PG play.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Few random depressing thoughts I had during yesterday's game. Don't read this if you're looking for a pick-me-up:
  • During the broadcast the announcer said, "in each of Georgia Tech's close losses it's always just one little thing that costs them the game". I thought to myself... ya know, BG is little, but that's below the belt.
  • We talk about our lack of a PG a lot. How about a lack of a SG on top of that? What have we had there that we feel good about - one year from Smith? For me the jury is still out on Tadric. And I'm not falling back on Reed, Rice Jr., Bolden, etc as ACC caliber.
  • As someone who went to nearly every home game during my 5 years at GT, I passed on a free opportunity to see GT in Atlanta. And that's without any significant competing priorities. I'm not permanently scarred - I'll be back quickly at the first semblance of light - but for now I'm literally just weighing the opportunity cost of sitting on my couch and avoiding adding an additional hour or two to my day in round-trip travel to these games. I feel somewhat guilty, but I felt I needed to share this as another data point for the apathy surrounding the program.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with what you're saying. But a lot of discussion on here has been about lack of offensive production from the PG spot. Angel Rodriguez had 5 fouls and 0 points today, and Miami still won the game. They won because they slashed to the basket, forced us to go to zone, and made big shots from outside. Not because of our PG play.

And he had 6 assists and plays on a team that doesn't utilize just one point guard at a time as both McCellan and Newton share some PG responsibilities. They combined for 36 points 8 assists where our 3 guards combined for 18-9.