Miami Postgame

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
So you really just want change for change's sake. Have you though considered the possibility that CPJ, who has used the gun in the past, knows his players and the benefits and drawbacks of the gun, and knows it would be even less successful than what we are currently doing?

I think the Vad Lee experiment backed him off. I do know that a quarterback running for his life before ever seeing the field is a failure and has been proven. I'm not advocating it on every down, but their are situations where going through the gyrations are not beneficial. Third and eight in the first quarter is an example of where there is benefit to continuing the motion. Third and 10, down 15, in the fourth quarter, it looks stupid.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
As a Packers fan I find it weird that when a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 2 is incomplete no one seems to ever complain about the call. Just mad it wasn't caught.

Why did the same quarterback make the right reads last year? The line doesn't perform and we lend ourselves to stacking up the defense by not being able to hit a big one. And I have hated the Packers since listening to their fans when I lived in Wisconsin. They are on drugs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think the Vad Lee experiment backed him off. I do know that a quarterback running for his life before ever seeing the field is a failure and has been proven. I'm not advocating it on every down, but their are situations where going through the gyrations are not beneficial. Third and eight in the first quarter is an example of where there is benefit to continuing the motion. Third and 10, down 15, in the fourth quarter, it looks stupid.
Tell us, please, exactly how you come to "know" this, particularly given that you are stating as fact something that has not been established.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why did the same quarterback make the right reads last year? The line doesn't perform and we lend ourselves to stacking up the defense by not being able to hit a big one. And I have hated the Packers since listening to their fans when I lived in Wisconsin. They are on drugs.
Your last two sentences are hyperbolic, right? Please tell us you are just riffing the time away.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I lived in Wisconsin and the Packer fans are high on something. As even Aaron Rodgers tells you, RELAX.
There isn't much else to get worked up over. Bucky the Badger lets them down every year so the Pack is it.

I'm a pack fan who has lived there and still has a ton of family there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There isn't much else to get worked up over. Bucky the Badger lets them down every year so the Pack is it.

I read a great anecdotal story about an Ohio sports editor who went to Madison, Wisc. In the first week of football season he wrote a column blistering the mascot "Badgers". Asked when was the last time anybody saw a badger. Said they should be called the Wisconsin Holsteins. A lot of people did not see the humor in it.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow

Lived there and was annoyed that the pack fans blamed every loss on refs.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I read a great anecdotal story about an Ohio sports editor who went to Madison, Wisc. In the first week of football season he wrote a column blistering the mascot "Badgers". Asked when was the last time anybody saw a badger. Said they should be called the Wisconsin Holsteins. A lot of people did not see the humor in it.
You realize they, we I've lived here for 32 years since I was 5, are called badgers because around Madison in Mid 19th century there was a lot of mining and the people who did it would dig holes in the ground and put cloth over the top as a temporary home which looked like a badger hole. It's actually a really cool back story that ties to the community in which the University sprang from. Instead of just a random animal or insect that somebody thought sounded cool. It was founded the same year Wisconsin became a state, 1848, because Wisconsin is a land grant state. I'll pip down now.
PS. Yes most Packers fans are a little unhinged. I probably would be one too but I'm no longer a fan of the NFL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You realize they, we I've lived here for 32 years since I was 5, are called badgers because around Madison in Mid 19th century there was a lot of mining and the people who did it would dig holes in the ground and put cloth over the top as a temporary home which looked like a badger hole. It's actually a really cool back story that ties to the community in which the University sprang from. Instead of just a random animal or insect that somebody thought sounded cool. It was founded the same year Wisconsin became a state, 1848, because Wisconsin is a land grant state. I'll pip down now.
PS. Yes most Packers fans are a little unhinged. I probably would be one too but I'm no longer a fan of the NFL.

We don't give a dam.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Hey, find that former sports editor, Ed Somebody, I forget, and tell him the history. Frankly I have never figured out how any nickname is arrived at. At the risk of opening another can of worms, it includes Yellow Jackets. Growing up in south Georgia I found it to be just a pesky insect of great bother but little threat. I mean, think about it. "Crimson Tide": comes in once or twice a day, depending, is very predictable - to the minute -- and is all wet. Gators provide belts and shoes, Hurricanes are unwelcome storms, Bulldogs are ugly creatures of no value except as an image for England in bad times, and nobody ever saw a Tiger in Clemson, either. Nicknames really ought to be school related: Engineers, Teachers, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and the like. Maybe dress one up, like Classroom Instructors.

Sorry, it is the slow season. I'm bored.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey, find that former sports editor, Ed Somebody, I forget, and tell him the history. Frankly I have never figured out how any nickname is arrived at. At the risk of opening another can of worms, it includes Yellow Jackets. Growing up in south Georgia I found it to be just a pesky insect of great bother but little threat. I mean, think about it. "Crimson Tide": comes in once or twice a day, depending, is very predictable - to the minute -- and is all wet. Gators provide belts and shoes, Hurricanes are unwelcome storms, Bulldogs are ugly creatures of no value except as an image for England in bad times, and nobody ever saw a Tiger in Clemson, either. Nicknames really ought to be school related: Engineers, Teachers, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and the like. Maybe dress one up, like Classroom Instructors.

Sorry, it is the slow season. I'm bored.

Ed Danforth? RIP

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
I was thinking perhaps Ed Thilenius? WAGA in Atlanta?
IIRC, Ed Thilenius announced the Ugag games on WSB for years before Munson. Ed Danforth was the sports editor for the AJC and wore his "coat of many colors" (on b&w TV, lol) on the Bobby Dodd show when Tech won an important game.