Miami Postgame

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Just a BAD product is being put out on field. A 3rd string QB doesn't HAVE to look like a hi school soph in his 1st game.(Baylor had a 3rd strng QB win the game for them). SIX fumbles, 2 ints, few pitches ,etc
The def didn't do much to help either.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I get a kick out of people complaining about the offense this year. Where were these complaints last year? Most everyone seemed to love PJ and JT last year and thought the world are now the same people that want PJ fired and Thomas benched. These same people were saying in the midst of last year" wait until next year when we really have talent at the skill positions". Well, the talent that some weren't happy or satisfied with graduated and here we are sitting at 3-8. Players like Waller, Laskey, Hill, Perkins, Bostic, Zenon and others that moved on were probably the most under appreciated players in the last 10 years at GT. They also put together one of the best seasons in program history. Good players make plays when the game is on the line. This year no one has stepped up to make a play. Last year was special because of the players that played for the love of the game and love of each other. I remember seeing this quote last year from a player and thinking this is what is missing this year. This"mentality". Hopefully, this mentality returns this week and we close out the year with a "W" against the Mutts. JMO.

10850083_10152614777163163_1314460663337954332_n.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just a BAD product is being put out on field. A 3rd string QB doesn't HAVE to look like a hi school soph in his 1st game.(Baylor had a 3rd strng QB win the game for them). SIX fumbles, 2 ints, few pitches ,etc
The def didn't do much to help either.
Don't have a clue really, but comparing the two offenses (Baylor-GT) seems to me like comparing calculus to arithmetic: the only similarity is that both use numbers.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
He sure is. In fact, we have several young guys who project to become really good players. However, what needs to happen is that we need to become an effective TEAM, not just a group of 22 starters with 8 studs on the field.
If the "war" concept applies here and holds true, then these guys who've stuck it out together this year should all come together next year and rid our memories of this year's wretched experience.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you know how difficult it would be to change offenses at mid season? Just accept our system or go find someone who runs a system you prefer. I accept that this is a very unusual year with all of our injuries. I want those who are playing to get the most experience in our offense going forward into next season. It will pay dividends in the fudup ture. Switching to a shotgun would be of no benefit at all. If you can't block, you can't run any offensive system. CPJ knows what he is doing and he will have it ready to roll by next season.

I'm not talking about a brand new offense, just put the qb in a position to succeed. The complete pigheadedness of CPJ to think of anything but his precious is frustrating. You have to work with what you have and I haven't seen any attempt to do that. We just keep doing the same things poorly. It is obvious that blocking sucks all around, yet we try to pretend to run the ball on third and infinity, giving our qb zero chance to even dump the ball off. It has been ugly and I don't understand your confidence in next year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not talking about a brand new offense, just put the qb in a position to succeed. The complete pigheadedness of CPJ to think of anything but his precious is frustrating. You have to work with what you have and I haven't seen any attempt to do that. We just keep doing the same things poorly. It is obvious that blocking sucks all around, yet we try to pretend to run the ball on third and infinity, giving our qb zero chance to even dump the ball off. It has been ugly and I don't understand your confidence in next year.

Yeah, I agree there's certainly evidence of pigheadedness. I just disagree that it's in CPJ.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
First it is the nature of the option offense, and when the run is stuffed it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad call, but more probably a bad read. As for running it, have you seen our guys pass the ball this year? Sometimes it has been Reggie Ball 2.0.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
First it is the nature of the option offense, and when the run is stuffed it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad call, but more probably a bad read. As for running it, have you seen our guys pass the ball this year? Sometimes it has been Reggie Ball 2.0.

As a Packers fan I find it weird that when a 6 yard pass on 3rd and 2 is incomplete no one seems to ever complain about the call. Just mad it wasn't caught.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow

There are many versions of the option including Georgia Southern's which goes shotgun. What I perceive is that there are too many trying to protect CPJ's hard head and not think beyond what is given. I'm an engineer and see it all the time. I never suggested going shotgun all the time. I suggested that on obvious passing downs, give the qb the ability to see the field before running for his life. I have seen our guys pass and it is obvious that Thomas having to immediately dodge the defenders is failing and your characterization of the offense is a fallacy that assumes that three defenders aren't in the backfield. The low percentage is more due to inept blocking than the system and CPJ refuses to do anything to adjust other than blame execution. We have seen Justin pass better when he has time and to blame him for the poor passing is ignoring everything else around him. We have what we have. Work with it.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I agree there's certainly evidence of pigheadedness. I just disagree that it's in CPJ.

Then where is it? To make this season better than Bill Lewis, we needed to do something drastic and all we heard was blaming players for lack of execution. That wasn't fixed early and has failed. Why didn't we change anything? We needed to make a defense fail by selling out and I didn't see any adaptability.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
There are many versions of the option including Georgia Southern's which goes shotgun. What I perceive is that there are too many trying to protect CPJ's hard head and not think beyond what is given. I'm an engineer and see it all the time. I never suggested going shotgun all the time. I suggested that on obvious passing downs, give the qb the ability to see the field before running for his life. I have seen our guys pass and it is obvious that Thomas having to immediately dodge the defenders is failing and your characterization of the offense is a fallacy that assumes that three defenders aren't in the backfield. The low percentage is more due to inept blocking than the system and CPJ refuses to do anything to adjust other than blame execution. We have seen Justin pass better when he has time and to blame him for the poor passing is ignoring everything else around him. We have what we have. Work with it.

I am not sure what you mean by "obvious passing down" when we set a modern record for 3rd down conversion percentage last year, including running on a heck of a lot of plays 3rd and 7+ and even 10+.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well. Where to start? To keep it short: almost everybody runs the option now, most from the shotgun, though Johnson and others have explained the under-center rationale, which seems fine to everybody except when it isn't. So I won't go there again. I have said before, and here again: Johnson makes $3 million a year and can take care of himself; I'm not his watcher. I just have this odd view that he knows more about offensive football and defensive tendencies than we do, else we would be there making his $3 million and he would be engineering something. (And in my experience I have found engineers a breed of linear thinkers, but then I don't know many engineers.) Of course passing is partly a function of blocking, though I am a function-before-form guy, and when Abacks and WRs can't get create space, it makes no difference whether the QB starts off six yards deep or under center ... he is looking for a hidey-hole instantly. And I suppose JacketFromGeorgia might observe that when the pass fails nobody says it was a bad call. Oh, wait. He already did.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Then where is it? To make this season better than Bill Lewis, we needed to do something drastic and all we heard was blaming players for lack of execution. That wasn't fixed early and has failed. Why didn't we change anything? We needed to make a defense fail by selling out and I didn't see any adaptability.

In fans with no experience coaching football insisting that they know better than our coaches and the coaches who contribute to this forum, acting like any disagreement with them is ignorant.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
In fans with no experience coaching football insisting that they know better than our coaches and the coaches who contribute to this forum, acting like any disagreement with them is ignorant.

We are 3-8. That is not acceptable. We pay someone $3M per year not to have that happen. I didn't see his fixes and I think any ideas are better than none.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
ITT: People who can't distinguish between Cover 1 and Cover 3 know more about football than Paul Johnson.

The problem isn't playcalling. That doesn't necessarily mean Johnson and Co. are doing a good job - they'd all readily admit that winning 3 games isn't a "good job" on their part at all - but let's talk about the actual issues and not go back to "Well it works on Madden!"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are 3-8. That is not acceptable. We pay someone $3M per year not to have that happen. I didn't see his fixes and I think any ideas are better than none.

So you really just want change for change's sake. Have you though considered the possibility that CPJ, who has used the gun in the past, knows his players and the benefits and drawbacks of the gun, and knows it would be even less successful than what we are currently doing?