Miami favored by 9

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Obviously you don’t know what you are talking about. The media hasn’t picked Miami to do anything lately let alone be great. And you obviously don’t follow college football or you would know that Miami has now found a really good college quaterback. Their offense will smoke our defense.
If you think Miami is an elite program, then you don't know what you are talking about. They are a middle of the pack team in a middle of the pack conference. They have been that for going on 20 years now. Just because they beat Pittsburgh does not make them anything noteworthy. Yeah, they most likely will run us out of South Florida but again, what does that prove? We are a bottom-of-the-pack team in a middle of the pack conference.

Go Jackets!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you think Miami is an elite program, then you don't know what you are talking about. They are a middle of the pack team in a middle of the pack conference. They have been that for going on 20 years now. Just because they beat Pittsburgh does not make them anything noteworthy. Yeah, they most likely will run us out of South Florida but again, what does that prove? We are a bottom-of-the-pack team in a middle of the pack conference.

Go Jackets!
Miami was pre-season top 10 and actually rated as high as number 7 in some polls. Their QB, King, was being touted as a Heisman trophy candidate. After Alabama kicked their butt all over the field, both those dreams were quashed. The media historically rates Miami too high.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!i
No where have I said Miami is elite. We agree that they suck and are mediocre. You made a comment that they are being artificially pumped up by the media. They haven’t. Sure, preseason polls have them higher than they should be because preseason polls are the most worthless thing in sports and Miami had King at QB. But right now Miami has probably the best QB they’ve had in a long time. The guy knows the college game and isn’t rattled. Why he wasn’t the starter is because coaches are now biased away from QB’s who aren’t athletic freaks. So guys like Jacory Harris or King or you name them get plenty of rope. We are seeing it at GT with Sims. He is perceived to have a higher ceiling and more athleticism so he gets the job over guys who are “lesser” athletes. And we’ll never know what these lesser athletes could get done. Godsey would never get off the bench with today’s thinking. Van Dyke like that dude from UVA just knows how to move his offense. And he has a chip on his shoulder.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No where have I said Miami is elite. We agree that they suck and are mediocre. You made a comment that they are being artificially pumped up by the media. They haven’t. Sure, preseason polls have them higher than they should be because preseason polls are the most worthless thing in sports and Miami had King at QB. But right now Miami has probably the best QB they’ve had in a long time. The guy knows the college game and isn’t rattled. Why he wasn’t the starter is because coaches are now biased away from QB’s who aren’t athletic freaks. So guys like Jacory Harris or King or you name them get plenty of rope. We are seeing it at GT with Sims. He is perceived to have a higher ceiling and more athleticism so he gets the job over guys who are “lesser” athletes. And we’ll never know what these lesser athletes could get done. Godsey would never get off the bench with today’s thinking. Van Dyke like that dude from UVA just knows how to move his offense. And he has a chip on his shoulder.
NM

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Miami was pre-season top 10 and actually rated as high as number 7 in some polls. Their QB, King, was being touted as a Heisman trophy candidate. After Alabama kicked their butt all over the field, both those dreams were quashed. The media historically rates Miami too high.
I agree but I can see why they do: recruiting. Da U has consistently out recruited everybody in the conference except FSU. 247 ranks their classes for the last 5 years at 11, 17, 27, 8, 1`2 nationally and always toward the top of the ACC. I think the consensus is that, if they get a coach who can put on his shoes himself in the morning (the jury is out on Manny), they should be a pretty good team. I wouldn't have ranked them as high as they were at the start of the season, but top 25? Sure. There way they are playing now they certainly qualify. I'd like to see a rematch with ND myself.

But … you are right in that they are consistently underperforming, given their level of talent. Too bad we are catching them at home just when the lights are going on for their O. I think they beat us by at least 10 and it could be worse.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Miami is trash, just like most of the teams on our schedule. They beat us by 21.
They might be "trash" but they will win and cover with relative ease. The talent on that team is undeniable...along with a really poor tackling defense but this team has completely turned around since TVD became their quarterback. I can see Gibbs and Sims going off big time on that defense and we would still lose by two TDs. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Boys, boys, you are both wrong..."Miami is elite" will be Coach Collins' line. Please stay in your respective lanes.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree but I can see why they do: recruiting. Da U has consistently out recruited everybody in the conference except FSU. 247 ranks their classes for the last 5 years at 11, 17, 27, 8, 1`2 nationally and always toward the top of the ACC. I think the consensus is that, if they get a coach who can put on his shoes himself in the morning (the jury is out on Manny), they should be a pretty good team. I wouldn't have ranked them as high as they were at the start of the season, but top 25? Sure. There way they are playing now they certainly qualify. I'd like to see a rematch with ND myself.

But … you are right in that they are consistently underperforming, given their level of talent. Too bad we are catching them at home just when the lights are going on for their O. I think they beat us by at least 10 and it could be worse.
After perusing canes in sight, I have determined that for Miami fans the PERFECT ending to this season would be for the "Duh U" to do the following:
1) Beat Tech by two or three TDs (Their disdain for the Jackets is palatable)
2) Win their last 3 games including the BIG ONE against FSU
3) Win the conference championship game against, presumably Wake Forest.
4) Win the Orange Bowl and the creme de la creme fire Manny and the AD under the goal posts.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
After perusing canes in sight, I have determined that for Miami fans the PERFECT ending to this season would be for the "Duh U" to do the following:
1) Beat Tech by two or three TDs (Their disdain for the Jackets is palatable)
2) Win their last 3 games including the BIG ONE against FSU
3) Win the conference championship game against, presumably Wake Forest.
4) Win the Orange Bowl and the creme de la creme fire Manny and the AD under the goal posts.
They won't be in the Orange Bowl. As it stands, I think it'll be UGA vs Oklahoma.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It’s not just fighting through blocks. He’s currently graded 555th out of 576 FBS linebackers.
Honestly, the more I think about it, Eley plays like a guy who just got handed a starting position because there was no one else. He needs someone behind him to push him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They won't be in the Orange Bowl. As it stands, I think it'll be UGA vs Oklahoma.
Yep. Good catch. Then, where will the ACC champion go? I cannot keep up with it in my dotage. Miami's two signature wins against NC State and Pitt did not get them much street cred with CFN experts who put them at number 61 or so about 7 slots higher than last week in their 1 through 130 rankings. Correction #61 was Miami's ranking last week, now they are all the way to #54. Duh U is back!

Animal02

Banned

But but but....I thought top twenty recruiting meant automatic success......that is what we were promised 3 years ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He's the fastest QB we will have seen - he's even faster than VT's quarterback. He'll be in the endzone before we even know the ball is snapped.

Not that I think that - just prepping for the post-game presser.
I would not call TVD a statue but one thing is for sure when he is on the field things start to happen. He has Miami's receivers and linemen starting to wake up from their usual mid season stupor to start playing ball. Our team could take some lessons from that. It happened literally overnight.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You mean he could either cleve you in two with his tackles or pound you into the ground 😊
Talk about a football player, Cleve Pounds was a charter member of the famed Black Watch of the mid 1980s for Coach Curry. He, Ted Roof, Jim Anderson, and Pat Swilling would hit you so hard, you would wake up in the middle of next week. There was none of this body lean and falling forward by running backs, when Cleve Pounds hit you the direction was generally backwards.