Miami fans

Jmonty71

Banned
As nice as Dabo was? What's that even mean? He was throwing with 45 seconds left in the game and kept his star QB in the game till the last play. And Miami won't look even look close to as good as Clemson, they will be more around the lines of Boston college, and vandy on D. You are giving Miami way to much credit.
Just because Watson was in, doesn't mean that Dabo didn't reel back the offense. My guess is, they played vanilla, to show nothing to Louisville. They didn't push the envelope with us. Watson stopped making unnecessary runs. I just don't drink the Roof Kool-Aid.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Just because Watson was in, doesn't mean that Dabo didn't reel back the offense. My guess is, they played vanilla, to show nothing to Louisville. They didn't push the envelope with us. Watson stopped making unnecessary runs. I just don't drink the Roof Kool-Aid.

That's what I saw.

They could have hung 70 if they wanted to.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL. Are you one of those guys that thinks its about how many yards you allow and not how many points you allow?

FYI: the game is measured by points for versus points against, not yards.

Also measured by W's & L's, although some people in here don't seem to think so.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL. Are you one of those guys that thinks its about how many yards you allow and not how many points you allow?

I don't cherry pick stats.
I prefer overall (total O or total D)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

raw

... thus W's-L's

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I heard on 92.9 that all of Miami's starting linebackers are freshmen, that could be a def advantage for us if true. The bad news is they've had 2 weeks to prepare for us.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
So ... you do cherry pick stats.

I don't dig into pts vs teams with 36 freshmen or less or 3rd % on Saturdays at 7:37 with a full moon in month of November. Unlike 90% of the people here I look at totals and not cherry pick inside those to fit my agenda.

At he end of the day W's & L's is all that matters. Coaches are paid for 3rd down stats.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Also measured by W's & L's, although some people in here don't seem to think so.

Wow. Let's try to break it down for you.

W-L reflects team strength, including especially offense and defense but also special teams. If you use W-L as a measure of just the offense or just the defense, then you are betraying an ignorance of the game. I'm not sure why you failed to understand that when you were corrected last time.

W-L is, again, a matter of scoring more points than your opponents not yards. So, one of the simplest ways of translating W-L in to a measure of offensive and defensive efficiency is to simply measure points for versus points against. This stat is typically listed as Scoring Offense (points for/game) and Scoring Defense (points against/game).

However, this stat suffers two important limitations: (1) it includes scores by special teams and defenses as if they were scored by the offense, and (2) if used for comparing teams, it assumes that all games reflect basically the same number of possessions or drives/game. Like all raw stats, it also doesn't account for differences in strength of schedule.

That's why I use the points/drive versus pwr5. My points/drive stat counts only offensive scores and FG's, and by requiring more than 2 pwr5 opponents the SOS is accounted for better than not at all.

Nevertheless, these stats are still raw. They measure how many points does an offense score, or a defense allow, per drive. By subtracting this defensive ppd from this offensive ppd for each team, I have a pretty good indicator of team strength. It has had a fairly good correlation with polls based on W-L, validating it as a measure of ranking the offensive and defensive units independently.

In other words, if you think that W-L is a good indicator of team strength, then you should value my ppd vs pwr5 stat as a good indicator of offense and defense independently.

I don't cherry pick stats.
I prefer overall (total O or total D)

You like to refer to "cherry picking," but, again, I'm not sure you understand what that means. It means just finding and using the stats that fit your conclusion rather than using appropriate stats for the question at hand.

For example, if you use W-L to talk about how well our offense has performed, that's cherry-picking because W-L reflects more than just offense. Similarly, if you use yards/game or yards/play stat to address a question about scoring, that's cherry-picking. If you go back and look at the post that prompted your response, you'll see that I wrote (including your emphasis): "we were practically scoring at will against a top 25 defense from last year." I would like you to see that I made a claim about our scoring. So, the appropriate (not cherry-picked) stat will be scoring defense, and ppd vs pwr 5 is even better because not all games have the same number of drives.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't dig into pts vs teams with 36 freshmen or less or 3rd % on Saturdays at 7:37 with a full moon in month of November. Unlike 90% of the people here I look at totals and not cherry pick inside those to fit my agenda.

At he end of the day W's & L's is all that matters. Coaches are NOT paid for 3rd down stats.

fixed it.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Let's try to break it down for you.

W-L reflects team strength, including especially offense and defense but also special teams. If you use W-L as a measure of just the offense or just the defense, then you are betraying an ignorance of the game. I'm not sure why you failed to understand that when you were corrected last time.

W-L is, again, a matter of scoring more points than your opponents not yards. So, one of the simplest ways of translating W-L in to a measure of offensive and defensive efficiency is to simply measure points for versus points against. This stat is typically listed as Scoring Offense (points for/game) and Scoring Defense (points against/game).

However, this stat suffers two important limitations: (1) it includes scores by special teams and defenses as if they were scored by the offense, and (2) if used for comparing teams, it assumes that all games reflect basically the same number of possessions or drives/game. Like all raw stats, it also doesn't account for differences in strength of schedule.

That's why I use the points/drive versus pwr5. My points/drive stat counts only offensive scores and FG's, and by requiring more than 2 pwr5 opponents the SOS is accounted for better than not at all.

Nevertheless, these stats are still raw. They measure how many points does an offense score, or a defense allow, per drive. By subtracting this defensive ppd from this offensive ppd for each team, I have a pretty good indicator of team strength. It has had a fairly good correlation with polls based on W-L, validating it as a measure of ranking the offensive and defensive units independently.

In other words, if you think that W-L is a good indicator of team strength, then you should value my ppd vs pwr5 stat as a good indicator of offense and defense independently.

You like to refer to "cherry picking," but, again, I'm not sure you understand what that means. It means just finding and using the stats that fit your conclusion rather than using appropriate stats for the question at hand.

For example, if you use W-L to talk about how well our offense has performed, that's cherry-picking because W-L reflects more than just offense. Similarly, if you use yards/game or yards/play stat to address a question about scoring, that's cherry-picking. If you go back and look at the post that prompted your response, you'll see that I wrote (including your emphasis): "we were practically scoring at will against a top 25 defense from last year." I would like you to see that I made a claim about our scoring. So, the appropriate (not cherry-picked) stat will be scoring defense, and ppd vs pwr 5 is even better because not all games have the same number of drives.

I guess you have to try to look for something positive when you are 3-9 huh?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Aren't we 3-1?

Sorry man.
I was keeping in line with his 2015 references.

Yes you are correct.

He said we were scoring at will on a top 25 D from 2015 (even tho that was last year).
So a 3-9 team scoring at will on a top 25 D is impressive.
I apologize.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry man.
I was keeping in line with his 2015 references.

Yes you are correct.

He said we were scoring at will on a top 25 D from 2015 (even tho that was last year).
So a 3-9 team scoring at will on a top 25 D is impressive.
I apologize.

Haha...got it. Was wondering if I drank myself into a coma and missed the season? :)

In my opinion references to previous years, good (2014) or bad (2015) are misleading and can be twisted to suit the arguments. Each season is a new year for us. Matchups change. Coaches change. We aren't a program that sets a standard and performs at that level year over year regardless of personnel. Prior years can be used for certain baselines or an analysis though. For example, our offense isn't humming like we want it to be. However if you like the 3O or not, you have to admit that over CPJ's tenure it has produced. I think you can also safely say the defense has not produced to the same level over the same amount of years. This for many reasons.

That being said I still think 2016 is a work in progress on both sides of the ball. There seems to be a lot of folks still upset about the Clemson game. Our O (and D) looked bad through most of the game but we kept it relatively respectable. Not sure if people thought we should win the game. If so, wonder where those expectations come from.

This week is another questionable match up for us. I think we can move the ball and score some points but if our DLine doesn't get pressure on Kaya, we won't win.

Now back to the original topic though....Miami fans suck!