Miami fans

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He clearly let up on the last possession after we failed on fourth down, but I did not detect a letup prior to that.

I'm not sure what this means. The first play after we failed to convert 4th down was a (slight play action to draw db's in) pass to a receiver running open to the endzone. If not overthown it's a TD. Do you think he was told to over throw it? The next play was a smoke route to a wr with our CB playing back and another receiver forward as a blocker, 5 yds. The next play was a "screen" to a receiver in motion right in front of the QB for another 5 yds. Then Gallman up the middle for 6 and Choice up the middle for 3.

If by "let up," you mean didn't kick a FG, okay, but all the plays they ran were real plays. It's not like he went to victory formation.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what this means. The first play after we failed to convert 4th down was a (slight play action to draw db's in) pass to a receiver running open to the endzone. If not overthown it's a TD. Do you think he was told to over throw it? The next play was a smoke route to a wr with our CB playing back and another receiver forward as a blocker, 5 yds. The next play was a "screen" to a receiver in motion right in front of the QB for another 5 yds. Then Gallman up the middle for 6 and Choice up the middle for 3.

If by "let up," you mean didn't kick a FG, okay, but all the plays they ran were real plays. It's not like he went to victory formation.

There was NO effort to manage the clock. If so there would have been another score.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There was NO effort to manage the clock. If so there would have been another score.
When you are winning you try to run the clock down to not give the other team a chance to win, and that doesn't mean you are letting off the gas, it means you are being smart and having good time management. How do you know there would have been another score? They were held to around 100 yards in the second half.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I'm young compared to others on the board but big time recruits have never wanted to come to tech. That's not a CPJ thing.
Absolutely... As much as this is pointed out, time and time again, some people simply choose to ignore the simple fact that Georgia Tech is HARD... HARD.HARD.HARD... Even well prepared kids out of good schools with lots of family support for academics get CHEWED UP AND SPIT OUT of that place... Pile onto that the responsibilities associated with playing football in a power 5 conference? Not me, man... I escaped with my BEE degree and my 2.7 GPA - and my plate was damn full...

The kids we get deserve all the respect in the world, because they're biting off a helluva lot more than most of us would dare... The fact that there are easier paths that others choose to take, well, that's just how it is...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely... As much as this is pointed out, time and time again, some people simply choose to ignore the simple fact that Georgia Tech is HARD... HARD.HARD.HARD... Even well prepared kids out of good schools with lots of family support for academics get CHEWED UP AND SPIT OUT of that place... Pile onto that the responsibilities associated with playing football in a power 5 conference? Not me, man... I escaped with my BEE degree and my 2.7 GPA - and my plate was damn full...

The kids we get deserve all the respect in the world, because they're biting off a helluva lot more than most of us would dare... The fact that there are easier paths that others choose to take, well, that's just how it is...

To add to that, I had two friends back when I was at Tech one was Architecture and one was ME and both were on the team. That is no easy feat. A lot of other schools have majors specifically for those that are on Athletics, or at least majors that are an easier load. There are very few major likes this at Tech.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When you are winning you try to run the clock down to not give the other team a chance to win, and that doesn't mean you are letting off the gas, it means you are being smart and having good time management. How do you know there would have been another score? They were held to around 100 yards in the second half.

GT went for fourth down and missed deep in their own territory. At this point the game was effectively over. No guaranteee for a score, but Clemson was moving the ball primarily keeping the clock running in what looked like an obvious attempt to run out the clock, not to go for a quick score....an observation from the stands at the time. There was no hurry up to snap the ball, even tho time was running down.

When you do not want to "run up the score" and further embarrass your adversary (and friend) you do not want to look obvious. You do not tell your players to let up but you run your plays and play hard, maybe with some backups, while letting the clock run. If you score so be it. If not mission accomplished. That's what I saw at the end of the game.

I feel dumber for having watched that. Looking forward to seeing Miami fans at the Georgia Dome. Lots of good places to set up a tailgate along Magnolia St. Vine City Park is a prime location. Good luck and safe travels.
Are you being sarcastic and hoping that what few Miami fans show up will go to the Georgia Dome, or do you not know that the game is at Grant Field / Bobby Dodd Stadium?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
In the week previous, we were practically scoring at will against a top 25 defense from last year. We'll see which game becomes more the norm for the year, but it's certainly not obvious that it was the last one.

LOL

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
GT went for fourth down and missed deep in their own territory. At this point the game was effectively over. No guaranteee for a score, but Clemson was moving the ball primarily keeping the clock running in what looked like an obvious attempt to run out the clock, not to go for a quick score....an observation from the stands at the time. There was no hurry up to snap the ball, even tho time was running down.

When you do not want to "run up the score" and further embarrass your adversary (and friend) you do not want to look obvious. You do not tell your players to let up but you run your plays and play hard, maybe with some backups, while letting the clock run. If you score so be it. If not mission accomplished. That's what I saw at the end of the game.
I get what you are saying but I just didn't see their play calls being much different. My point is they weren't doing what youre talking about the whole second half yet we stopped them, did we not?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting with a bunch of U fans in '14. My favorite was the guy in all camo, cut off shorts and sleeveless (even though it was freezing in the upper west. Held up the "U" hands the ENTIRE game. My impression of them has always been horrible, and while I think that's true, these folks were hilarious, and generally good-natured.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If Dabo wanted to let up, he would have run straight dive plays on 1st down, 2nd down and 3rd down. If they didn't move the sticks, he would have gone for it on 4th if they were close to the end zone or punted. He didn't let up. Now, he did run the clock, but he didn't let up.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I was sitting with a bunch of U fans in '14. My favorite was the guy in all camo, cut off shorts and sleeveless (even though it was freezing in the upper west. Held up the "U" hands the ENTIRE game. My impression of them has always been horrible, and while I think that's true, these folks were hilarious, and generally good-natured.
That’s generally my impression too. I think their awful fans are usually the bandwagon ones that only really come out when they’re doing good (10+ win every year good, none of that 9 win crap). I kind of see most the others that have stuck around as dudes wearing sleeveless camo shirts.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
are already predicting a blow out bigger than what Clemson beat us. Like Miami in the 40's or 50's and GT around 7 or 10. They are going to be in for a rude awakening, I hope we come out and blow them out pretty bad, time to make a statement. Maybe this loss will put a fire under the guys and will be the turning point, it could play in our favor for this game(the loss).
Give them a break. They think it's still the late 80s

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying but I just didn't see their play calls being much different. My point is they weren't doing what youre talking about the whole second half yet we stopped them, did we not?

Correct. Just the last series after we missed the fourth down.