Miami Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Miami?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT33

Helluva Engineer
With.Cam's complete game yesterday, every pitcher should be on a short leash if he is having control issues. Huge game for us as we all know.
We seem to be managing the pitchers a lot differently than last year.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
nice lead and should be win today. could have easily been a sweep. 4 of the last 9 in ACC would put us at .500. Maybe one win in ACC tournament on top of that gets us in the tournament. Auburn and Mercer mid week wins would also help. If we don't make it, BC sweeping us at home would the big culprit.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BLUF: *** Kicking.

Well played game with no errors by us. Oh yeah, we scored a few more than they did.

How is we score 15 earned in 6.0 on Sunday and 1 in 9.0 on Friday? I know pitching, pitching pitching.

Plus our pitching was GREAT. All McKee's, BBs and HBP were in the first. Supposedly pitchers have more problems second time through the line up.

1714334642043.png

Forget rankings and what others are doing, we control our destiny. Just win the next series against @ Clempy.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Our pitching has improved pretty dramatically as the year has progressed. We got three quality starts this weekend. If we do that the rest of the year, we'll be just fine and in the Tourney (somewhere).

My hopes continue to rise as I see good pitching performance followed by good pitching performance.

Just keep this up. Pitch this way next weekend and I think we could win that series as well!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that was just flat out fun.

Today's best ...

Pitching:
All weekend
There's the Tate McKee we all know that has the stuff of a future college pitching star imo....1 hit (hr) 1 bb. So glad to see this kid get more and more experience. This kid could be very special and I think our post season hopes potentially hinge on Cam Hill and Tate McKee as starters. This is first time in a long time i can remember where Tech had four quality starting pitching options. Last would be 2019 with Xavion Curry, Connor Thomas, Brant Hurter, Amos Willingham, & Cort Roedig.
Cam Jones: Nothing more to say than going 4 for 4 and pitching a complete game (Hasn't happened at Tech since 2021)
Aeden- Even though he didn't get the win, he pitched solid. Miami barrelled him up a few times but I love that Aeden is always in the strike zone.

We were SO close to sweeping both series (UVA & Miami). That's how close we are. Top 8 in the Friday night game vs Miami, Ben King mows down the first two hurricane batters...4 outs to go up 4-3.
Saturday night game vs UVA - Mike Bechetti fails to come home in top 8 with runners at the corners with no outs and a groundball to ss that could've put us up 1 run. FYI- Uva didn't score in the 8th or 9th so we would've won that game.
That's how close we are to winning six straight.

Another crazy statistic
Tech has run ruled three straight conference opponets
Game 2 Va Tech- Run Ruled
Game 1- UVA- Run Ruled
Game 3 - Miami - Run Ruled

That is unheard of...well at least to me it is

Offense....
To me, it all starts with Giesler.
Two more moonshots today

Guys I must admit that two things seemed to have clearly turned this season around.
Cam Jones locking down the Saturday role and John Giesler's presence back in our lineup.
I seriously underestimated the importance of the Goose in our lineup- He protects Burress, Ellis , and Jones and with his production, they can't afford to pitch around Payton.

I will say one thing on RPI.....grrrr. I promise. We are up to 53. That's great but still not high enough for 4 straight acc series wins and two of them top 20 teams imo.

How is below .500 auburn and 21-20 ND (5-17 in acc) ahead of us still. At some point, winning has got to matter. Way too heavily weighted for road wins/losses imo.

I'm going to shock your Ga Tech PTSD....
Here's my take....

Is there a chance that if Tech wins 2 of the 3 remaining series (All three teams ranked in the top 10) that Tech can host?....I say YES!

I think we are in right now but the question above remains...
If we were to take the series against Clemson and Duke and win at least one on the road at FSU, I would say we would compete for a host spot.

Think about how committee's measure injuries...If you have a star player that gets hurt late in the season, that can affect their seeding. Well, does the same apply for a player like Giesler coming back after 40 days to return tech to a very successful run. You can argue that this tech team is completely different than the one that got swept against BC.

As I said before, we could have easily won 6 straight and swept both UVA and Miami. We are better than Va Tech (tournament bound), UVA (Host Site team), Miami, Pitt, and NC State (tournament team)

UNC is a very good team and proved that against us. BC is a really weird team. They should've taken series vs UVA but did manage to get one. Their offense is tough to deal with and I hope we don't see them in the acc tournament.

Now we step up big time in competition but I think Tech has a REAL chance to beat Clem's Son and take this series. I will make the Saturday game at Doug Kinsmore Stadium. If anyone makes the trip, come say hey!

Go Jackets!!!
What a fun month of baseball

Keep it up boys!!!

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
The weekend series record was 1.4-1.3 ... feels like we were more dominant than that, doesn't it?
Exactly and considering that we have run ruled three straight acc opponents yet no credit is given for run differential which fails to show how dominant we have been in our last three acc series...

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
The weekend series record was 1.4-1.3 ... feels like we were more dominant than that, doesn't it?
A 🙁from me because you are correct. I've never thought about it that way, but you are absolutely correct, we just treaded water. And, on top of that, I bet the 50% that is opponent's win % took a hit since Miami's adjusted record is 15.1-24. So, probably not a great weekend for the ole RPI. I think, in general though, it was good for our NCAA chances cause it put us a game above .500. On the flip side, with 6 of the last 11 games remaining being on the road, that should help, especially if we can win 3 of those.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Much has been said about the good effect Giesler has had on the team since his return and rightfully so. But Beccheti also deserves some praise for his recent play. He is money on defense and has raised his average to .300 since his slump when he was adjusting to ACC pitching. Has great baseball IQ despite his one miscue on his base running in a critical situation.
I love to watch him play the game.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Much has been said about the good effect Giesler has had on the team since his return and rightfully so. But Beccheti also deserves some praise for his recent play. He is money on defense and has raised his average to .300 since his slump when he was adjusting to ACC pitching. Has great baseball IQ despite his one miscue on his base running in a critical situation.
Couldn’t agree more! Bechetti made three web gem plays this weekend and drove In about 30 (lol) runs. At least it seemed that way. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…it’s big boy baseball time and Geisler Bechetti and Zmarlzak have really solidified the everyday nucleus if this team. I’d ride them all to the end. Also, those three guys have more post season experience than anyone else on the team. All three of them have played on conference winning teams and regional teams. Shout out to the studs of the team Ellis, Burress, Younger Green, and Jones! Point is…we have become a more Complete offense. The pitching is hitting its stride as well. We have wondered who this team really is all year. Time to shine boys!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Great comment on Beccheti.
His and Lackey's defense has been stellar the last few weekends.

Beccheti's offense has also come around and even moved up in the lineup to the 8 hole.

I agree with Fitted above that it is time to play big boy baseball and our transfers have post season experience and success. I said this earlier in the year but the Maryland transfer Bobby Zmarzlak was MVP of a Md regional.

Trey Younger (Wofford) has absolutely owned the leadoff role.

The team has come together and its a really good mix of freshmen and veterans.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Great comment on Beccheti.
His and Lackey's defense has been stellar the last few weekends.

Beccheti's offense has also come around and even moved up in the lineup to the 8 hole.

I agree with Fitted above that it is time to play big boy baseball and our transfers have post season experience and success. I said this earlier in the year but the Maryland transfer Bobby Zmarzlak was MVP of a Md regional.

Trey Younger (Wofford) has absolutely owned the leadoff role.

The team has come together and its a really good mix of freshmen and veterans.
Would you guys cut it out!! You’re making me have hope ……

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to put too much emphasis on beating up on a bad Miami team. But I will put emphasis on sustained results. This team has found some real consistency, and I'm optimistic we'll come to play these last three series.

This is getting fun.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Would you guys cut it out!! You’re making me have hope ……
I know i've felt that way since the bc series but just looking at the makeup of this team, it just seems like a completely different team.

I really believe this team can win any of the three remaining series....could also lose them as well cause, let's be honest, these teams are VERY good teams but this team has proven they can play with anyone.

The team loses a friday night game against the Canes that they could've easily won and came right back and just flat dominated the U the next two games in the most critical series to date.

I don't know what happens in Clemson this weekend; however, this team won't be intimidated and will give the Tigers all they can handle.

Heck, uga has played great a majority of the season and I take everyone back to that series against a team that is clearly in the tournament today. Game 1 should've NEVER been played but their power bats got to Cam Hill and they had a 9-3 lead before the game was cancelled in the 5th due to horrible weather.
Game 2 was a 1-1 game heading to the 8th. Aeden pitched a gem of a game at foley field. Top 8 1st & 3rd with two outs and Cam Jones drills a ball down the 3rd base line that should've scored two; however, Charlie Condon made an incredible play to keep the game tied at 1. Uga ended up winning 3-1.
Game 3 - We lead the mutts 9-3 going to the 7th. Left 9 risp and bases loaded twice with no runs. The pen just imploded with walks and uga strung together multiple bloop hits and found the patch of grass where our defense wasn't there.

Game 2 of the UVA series. Base running mistake could've cost us that game.
Game 1 of the Miami series- Up 4-3 with two outs in 8th at home

We could've EASILY won that series and the other games listed above as there no reason we couldn't have won 3 of 4 of those games.
All of this without Cam Jones coming into his own as a Saturday starter and Giesler out of the lineup.

Everyone wants to point to the 6 game acc losing streak between unc and bc but this team is a tournament team imo and the adversity and injuries that hurt us early in the season has now made this team a stronger and deeper team. We are also playing our best baseball at the right time which has usually been the opposite for most tech baseball teams (Hot early, cool off late in the season).

This offense is just flat out hitting the ball and taking quality pitches and working counts.
We have run ruled opponents in 3 straight acc series (va tech, uva, & miami). We have ruled opponents 8 times this year.
That is very good.

I, like you, am cautious, but certainly optimistic over what I believe this team can accomplish. Will they accomplish it....no one knows that answer; however, they are certainly capable..
Also, as many know I'm not a fan of the leadership; however, it is really time to give credit where credit is due. Great job by Hall in keeping the ship steady through early season struggles, Ramsey in making this offense explosive and big credit to Matt Taylor for getting the most out of our pitching staff and marked improvement.

Go Jackets!
I'm starting to believe!!!
Let's GO

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want to put too much emphasis on beating up on a bad Miami team. But I will put emphasis on sustained results. This team has found some real consistency, and I'm optimistic we'll come to play these last three series.

This is getting fun.
I couldn't agree more.
Not neccessarily about Miami but it is very impressive to win 4 straight acc series. Last time i remember that happening was the 2019 team that had great pitching and ended up being the overall #3 national seed.

The consistency is what is impressive.

I'd also point out that ND took the series vs Wake Forest and Louisville nearly took the series vs Clemson.
The acc is very tough conference despite what the media will tell you.