Miami Baseball

How many games will GT win versus Miami?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Finateri, Jones & McKee. Hoping for a quicker hook this week before a starter gives up 5 or 6. A team which gives up 12 runs *shouldn't* win.

Our batting, defense and SB are better. Pitching they have an edge especially considering SoS.

Wish Wiley were back.

1714160703759.png

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Despite the loss, I'm going to give a pretty positive outlook on tonight's game.

Only criticism I'd have tonight is walks get you beat....solo hr's do not.
Top 8 and Ben King mows down the first two Cane hitters....4 outs to go with no one on up 4-3. Walks the next hitter and boom....2 run hr. Canes lead. As I said above, solo shots don't beat ya....

Overall a well played game.

I just love the way that Aeden attacks the zone...No walks again tonight for him. Gives up a solo shot and a 2 run hr. Kid pitches to soft contact but credit to DuhU that they hit him and the palm ball hard. Our defense turned multiple double plays so, to be honest, DuhU deserved to win.

I love the grit and fight in this team. Caveman baseball took a night off but lets be real that DuhU's staff is very good.

This is a MUST series so, just like Va Tech, the boys must come out and fight like wild animals and take the next two games.

Two out of three gets us a top 40 rpi and squarely on the bubble if we were to win 4 straight ACC series.
Clemson is getting beat by Louisville 11-6 so I think the Tigers are coming down to reality a little bit as I no longer think that series is unwinnable.
Duke lost to FSU and if we win the series vs the Canes...this is the HUGE series that can make or break our season imo.

All in all...we lost a friday night game....Ok...move on. In the same position 2 weekends ago vs Va Tech.

I think a different tech offense shows up tomorrow. Win tomorrow and make it a rubber match.

I celebrated my twins birthday so my son and I couldn't be there tonight but we will be there tomorrow and Sunday with my son wearing his GT HR chain....:)
He's undefeated with it on!

Go Jackets.
Flush this one and go get em tomorrow boys!!!

If you are able to make the game, please go. These boys need to hear you! If you go, come say hi to my son and myself (You can't miss his GT HR chain) ;)

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One earned run for us is an outlier.

Well pitched by Finateri and good defense. Finateri has pitched very well last two, last night was slightly longest outing by innings. No walks. Definitely our Friday night starter with almost twice the inning of anyone else. Hope he stays for next year.

1714218102010.png

We'll either win today and go back to 500 ACC or lose and go to 2 below. Such a big difference is why I don't get as worked up any more about where we'd be if the season ended tonight. IIWII.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year we were begging for a starter to make it 5 innings. I will give credit to CMT, what he is doing is working. The defense is also better, but that has to do mostly with the transfers. Someone would have to convince me that CDH makes players better defensively. Hitting CJR does his thing. The only small doubt I have is how long it takes to break someone out of a slump since he can’t really take credit for development of the transfers. With all that said, we are in a very similar spot as we were last year, wondering if we will make it into the NCAAT and getting our highs off bracketology articles.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Last year we were begging for a starter to make it 5 innings.
Crazy but I don’t believe we had a single starter all year going over 5 innings last year. There were only 2-3 games where we made it that far. Someone on here has the actual stats and I’m sure will educate us.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Today's game is very big imo...
Get back to .500 and you have a chance to go above .500 tomorrow with 9 to play.
Lose today and you have to 6-4 in the remaining 10 acc games to get back to .500. Considering we have to play Clemson, Duke and FSU. That's a tall task.

Big time game today. It's not must win territory but it's very big!!!

Go get em boys.
My son and I will be at the tech game and then heading to the braves game thereafter. Love my father/son sports days! My ex is a gator and remarried a mutt fan so my task is clear...(Whiskey clear) :) My boy wants to head to Ma Tech!!! You go boy!

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
What an outstanding performance by Cam Jones. What more needs to be said.
A complete game is quite rare and especially in the world of college baseball.
That kid is a stud. I love watching Aeden and Cam pitch cause they are classic old school pitchers that pound the strike zone and try to outthink the batter. I truly believe that Cam and Aeden have the freedom to call their own pitches. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

With the fact that Aeden, Thomas, and King pitched on Friday and with Cam going all 9 innings, we are ready to go in the pen for tomorrow's rubber match.

Add to the fact that we have no midweek game, and pen is rested...I'm fine with giving Tate the start tomorrow. If Tate gets in trouble, you have a rested Cam Hill.

If we were to make a regional, we ABSOLUTELY would need Cam Hill and Tate McKee so the more experience these two get, the better. Freshman or not. We need Tate to continue to develop "how" to pitch". He has the stuff...he just needs to learn that you may be able to throw 95 mph at Mt Paran and beat hs hitters but, in college, you MUST learn "how" to pitch (Hit your spots, know the hitter's tendencies, etc).

On the offensive side of the ball, CAVEMAN baseball is BACK!

I cannot begin to state how I completely underestimated the loss of John Giesler. Having him in our lineup and the presence and threat to go deep with any pitcher is invaluable.

This team is just really playing so well right now.

Don't look now but as you peak at the ACC standings....
We are currently tied for 9th with Louisville
Tomorrow is a huge game as we can put Miami basically in the rear view mirror.
Who would've thought three weekends ago that we'd have ANY chance to catch Va Tech in the standings but if UNC completes the sweep and we beat Miami...we'd be just one game behind them and we own the tiebreaker with head to head so 8th place isn't that unrealistic anymore.

What an absolutely fantastic day with my son.
Tech Baseball and then Truist Park for the Braves...Father/Son moments that'll last a lifetime.

Can't wait to be there tomorrow for what could be 4 straight ACC series wins!!
Go Get Em Boys!

Go Jackets!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are looking at a quick hook tomorrow if McKee gets in trouble. Especially if he starts walking batters. We have Hill ready for long relief plus Brown hasn't pitched this weekend. With no midweek game I think we let everyone go a couple innings and at the first sign of trouble we bring someone else in. I am assuming Tate must have shown something in the bullpen sessions this week to get the start again. Looking forward to the Tate from earlier this season and the Cam Hill from 5 days ago! Keep in mind that Miami has a heavy left handed lineup so Cam might have an advantage.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
if UNC completes the sweep and we beat Miami...we'd be just one game behind them and we own the tiebreaker with head to head so 8th place isn't that unrealistic anymore.
The hokies could be a couple of Q1 wins if they manage to win a few. I think our resume needs them and NCSU to keep winning.

I guess it's a balance between RPI and ACC standings.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
With.Cam's complete game yesterday, every pitcher should be on a short leash if he is having control issues. Huge game for us as we all know.